Can Carrara Manipulate the Molecular Stucture of a Building?

msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
edited August 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hello Carraraites,

Well... sorta.
Just wanted to post a project I just finished called," 3D Projection Mapping". This is a technique used to create the Illusion of a building doing some pretty crazy stuff in real time. This is literally the biggest thing my little company has ever done. Carrara was used for all the 3D modeling and 3D animation. I used a whole slew of other software and disciplines to create the final animation. We partnered with a friend of mine for the projection. This was a demo to attract attention. We are marketing for our 1st gig.
Software

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXSDTm9rT7g

• Carrara
• Photoshop
• Illustrator
• After Affects
• Garage Band

Disciplines
• Photography
• Image calibration
• Illustration
• Modeling
• Lighting
• 2D and 3D Animation
• Shading
• Rigging
• Character Design
• Volumetrics
• Compositing
• Audio Design
• Original Score

Daz_Still.jpg
1280 x 635 - 487K
Post edited by msolomon on

Comments

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Msolomon,
    Try looking under the "modifiers" tab on the right side of the Carrara interface. there are several modifiers that will do what your video shows & more. You can use more that one modifier at a time any get some pretty crazy combos going.

I would just start a new scene....put a cube in it...and experiment with the effects. :)

Once you get an idea of what does what, you can group your building and apply similar effects to the building group, or individual parts of the building.

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
    edited December 1969

McGuiver said:
    Msolomon,
    Try looking under the "modifiers" tab on the right side of the Carrara interface. there are several modifiers that will do what your video shows & more. You can use more that one modifier at a time any get some pretty crazy combos going.

I would just start a new scene....put a cube in it...and experiment with the effects. :)

Once you get an idea of what does what, you can group your building and apply similar effects to the building group, or individual parts of the building.

Thanks McGuiver,

I used plenty of modifiers for this project. Especially at the beginning with the blocks and twist affect.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Oh! Spectacular, and wonderfully done! Thanks, you made my day a lot better.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Wow! This is very impressive verging into "I didn't know Carrara could do that" territory... spectacular work, MSolomon. Must've taken a while to render, as I'm guessing you had to render at huge sizes?

edited December 1969

Oh! Spectacular, and wonderfully done! Thanks, you made my day a lot better.

Thank you CarltonMartin.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

cool - love the fish !

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Wow! This is very impressive verging into "I didn't know Carrara could do that" territory... spectacular work, MSolomon. Must've taken a while to render, as I'm guessing you had to render at huge sizes?

Thanks Jonstark,

I am still amazed at what I can do with Carrara. The size was 1920 x1080. Just standard HD. The render times were very manageable.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

That was really cool! I wish I could see it in person.

What kind of projector was used to project the animation onto the building? Looks like it was super bright.
    Google street view shows an old brick building across the street. Is that where the projector was set up?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    cool - love the fish !

Though this animation technique is young it already has standard content. Fish seems to be one of them.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    That was really cool! I wish I could see it in person.

What kind of projector was used to project the animation onto the building? Looks like it was super bright.
    Google street view shows an old brick building across the street. Is that where the projector was set up?

I don't know the model or brand but it pumps out 20,000 lumens. That building is gone. We were in the resulting empty lot.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    edited December 1969

Wonderfully different and entertaining! And Fun!
    My mind is totally boggled by it.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited December 1969

hey cool job :)
    have you seen Holly's work, worthwhile tracking down Hollywetcircuit on google
    http://www.wetcircuit.com/
    Sadly I think she is no longer with the forum .... just an edcucated guess happy to be proven wrong

Also did you see the tour de france speeches, great job they did on l'arc de triophe

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

head wax said:
    Sadly I think she is no longer with the forum .... just an edcucated guess happy to be proven wrong

Also did you see the tour de france speeches, great job they did on l'arc de triophe

Holly did say she was going over to Carrara Cafe, have you checked to see if she is active over there, as there is no other reason for her not to be posting here in the DAZ 3D forums. She last visited here on 11th August.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Wonderfully different and entertaining! And Fun!
    My mind is totally boggled by it.

Thanks Dartanbeck,

After researching what other animators have done I tried to do something different yet still include the basic elements of the field.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I showed it 'im indoors and he watched fascinated. He is a technophobe, but loves to see what can be done.

He thought it was really good, as do I.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Really super job! Must have been really cool in person!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I showed it 'im indoors and he watched fascinated. He is a technophobe, but loves to see what can be done.

He thought it was really good, as do I.

Double thanks, thats great to hear.

edited December 1969

Thanks. It was amazing to see it live after seeing it on the computer screen for so long.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited August 2013

chohole said:
    head wax said:

Holly did say she was going over to Carrara Cafe, have you checked to see if she is active over there, as there is no other reason for her not to be posting here in the DAZ 3D forums. She last visited here on 11th August.

thanks Pam, yes she has been posting there , I see :)

edit: no I was wrong it is someone else.

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Man, I hope she's alright. Holly Wetcircuit R O C K S ! ! !

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Totally amazing - very imaginative and effective! I loved the way that you used the shape of the building as the base to enhance and distort it, in addition to just being the "screen". Goodness knows what the passing traffic made of it! Full marks, a terrific project!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Totally amazing - very imaginative and effective! I loved the way that you used the shape of the building as the base to enhance and distort it, in addition to just being the "screen". Goodness knows what the passing traffic made of it! Full marks, a terrific project!

Thanks PhilW. For my 1st I tried to make it as complete as possible. I needed perspective clients to be affectively awed. You're right, the coolest thing about 3D projection mapping is making the building the star. Bringing virtual reality out of the screen and into the real world, with out glasses. Some of the cars passing and the neighbors were a bit freaked out.

edited December 1969

MSolomon said:

Thanks. It was amazing to see it live after seeing it on the computer screen for so long.I Bet!!! Man, I'd love to see that live!

edited December 1969

MSolomon said:

Thanks. It was amazing to see it live after seeing it on the computer screen for so long.

I Bet!!! Man, I'd love to see that live!

We are finalizing our 1st actual gig now. So I will have a new video soon. After successfully doing high end work like 3D projection mapping, using Carrara, I fall over laughing when people call Carrara a toy.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Yes, in many ways Carrara is just as capable as the big boys, it is a shame that more people don't realise how powerful a system it is - and you don't need to buy loads of expensive plugins for the features as well!

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Thanks for posting your inspiring projection animation. Its Reinvigorating my enthusiasm for Carrara , helped by the remarks of the other commentors about how Carrara can be what we need to to be. Way to go!

edited December 1969

keryna said:
    Thanks for posting your inspiring projection animation. Its Reinvigorating my enthusiasm for Carrara , helped by the remarks of the other commentors about how Carrara can be what we need to to be. Way to go!

Thanks Keryna,

I've used Carrara since version 1 and never needed to switch to one of the " Big Boys ".

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Yes, in many ways Carrara is just as capable as the big boys, it is a shame that more people don't realise how powerful a system it is - and you don't need to buy loads of expensive plugins for the features as well!

Good point,

The Carrara plug ins are very useful and are a fraction of the costs of industry standard plug ins.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Awesome technique and craftsmanship as usual MSolomon !

Now you need to make one where dinosaurs or bots are entering in and out of building doors at night. They'll keep the 911 lines busy. :)

edited December 1969

Awesome technique and craftsmanship as usual MSolomon !

Now you need to make one where dinosaurs or bots are entering in and out of building doors at night. They'll keep the 911 lines busy. :)

Thanks Design Acrobat