Can't find a renderosity content.

odasteinodastein Posts: 606
edited August 2018 in New Users

I can't find a renderosity product I bought in my content.

I tried to copy the zipped folders in "My library" without result. I verified that all the product subfolders were appearing in the appropriate library subfolders (ilike "data", genesis 3", genesis 8", "runtime/textures"....) and that I was using the correct "my library" folder (same path as the figures or other props used in Daz 3D). Still, the product doesn't appear in the content when I open DAZ 3d, neither in the "products" nor in the "files".

What am I doing wrong? What could prevent a file appearing in a "my library" folder from appearing too in DAZ 3d content?

Thanks in advance.

And more specifically, forgetting about the files, what makes a product appear in "product"? What I'm supposed to find in what folder if a product has been correctly installed? (since the files seem to be where they should, there must be something more general preventing Daz 3d from seeing that I have this product, or maybe a particularly important file missing)

Post edited by odastein on

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    odastein said:
    Still, the product doesn't appear in the content when I open DAZ 3d, neither in the "products" nor in the "files".

Which "the content" do you mean? There are two content tabs, Content Library, which gives a true view of the actual content files stored in your content location, and Smart Content, which is a database-driven view of links to your content files. Only items from the DAZ store can be relied on to include the data that goes into your content database; items from other stores like Renderosity might or might not include this data, depending on whether the content creator knows how to do it right.

Note that Content Library has sections for DAZ Studio content, Poser content, Products, and Categories. The Products and Categories are also dependent on the database; if the installer didn't include the extra data, then the database won't have entries for the item you just installed.

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    odastein said:
    Still, the product doesn't appear in the content when I open DAZ 3d, neither in the "products" nor in the "files".

Which "the content" do you mean? There are two content tabs, Content Library, which gives a true view of the actual content files stored in your content location, and Smart Content, which is a database-driven view of links to your content files. Only items from the DAZ store can be relied on to include the data that goes into your content database; items from other stores like Renderosity might or might not include this data, depending on whether the content creator knows how to do it right.

Note that Content Library has sections for DAZ Studio content, Poser content, Products, and Categories. The Products and Categories are also dependent on the database; if the installer didn't include the extra data, then the database won't have entries for the item you just installed.

In fact, I meant "smart content", because I didn't even know how to look into the "content library". It seemed that the only way to do this was to type the name of the product/files, and I failed to find the product this way. You're saying that you can find several categories there (DAZ, Poser, Products, Categories....) but I can't figure out how you access these categories.

I assume that the creator would have included whatever data was needed, because it's a Daz 3d specific product.

odastein said:
    You're saying that you can find several categories there (DAZ, Poser, Products, Categories....) but I can't figure out how you access these categories.

What do you see when you open the Content Library tab? The different sections should be visible there, just click to open and drill down through the folders until you reach the folder you want.

What is it you installed? Some things, e.g. Genesis characters, poses  or clothes, should get installed to more or less standard folder locations; other things such as props or environments can be installed in one of several places — not everyone has the same idea of "The One True Folder™" something belongs in.

Did you keep the downloaded Renderosity installer? If you look inside that, you will find the folder locations of all the files.

One other thing that just occurred to me — was DAZ|Studio open when you installed the new item? Even if the installer did include all the proper database files, D|S will only pick up on new items properly when it starts up.

edited August 2018

That's what I see when I open the "content library" : no categories, and at first glance, I couldn't find a tab or button that would open them. The only thing I could do was typying a file name (for instance "poses") and it would display files including this name. I only see categories in the "smart content' tab.

Edited to add : OK, I found the tab I didn't know existed that opens a list by category. And not only did I found there the product I was seeking, but also many other things I didn't know I had, that I probably downloaded when I gave Daz 3d a first try months ago.

So, problem solved. Thank you. :)

Content library.png
    1920 x 1080 - 365K
    edited August 2018

You're not finding the Content Library sections because that part of the tab is closed. Look at the "None" label at the top; immediately above that is a small dark button. Click on that, and the tab will open fully, showing all the options you need.

Note that there's another little dark button in the middle of the Content Library tab; if you click this, it will hide the "Tips/Info/Tags" part of the tab, if you don't need it (not everyone uses these features). This leaves more room in the Content Library tab to look at and select actual content.

Look out for these little dark buttons; they're not always easy to see, and frequently much too easy to click on accidentally.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on

I had found it, but I didn't know how, in fact. Thanks for the "dark buttons" tip

OK, I have a new problem with the libraries.

I downloaded a skirt for Genesis 8.  In my computer files, it appears normally in Genesis8/clothing, along with another item. However, in the content library, only the other item appears in Genesis8/clothing (and the skirt is nowhere to be found).

The skirt is there, because I can find it (and use it) by typying its name in the search tool. Why, then, would it not appear in the folder of the library?

And, by the way : where are morphs supposed to be found, normally?

• What format is the skirt file in?

odastein said:
    I downloaded a skirt for Genesis 8.  In my computer files, it appears normally in Genesis8/clothing, along with another item. However, in the content library, only the other item appears in Genesis8/clothing (and the skirt is nowhere to be found).

Can you post a screenshot of the Explorer window (not in DAZ|Studio) showing the contents of the folder with the skirt files, and a screenshot of the entire Content Library tab opened to where the skirt content ought to appear? (It must be the entire Content Library tab, there are frequently little clues — such as those tiny "close subtab" buttons — that get clipped off screenshots because they don't seem important.)

odastein said:
    And, by the way : where are morphs supposed to be found, normally?

There is no "normally" — there are no real standards for what morphs go where on a object's Parameters tab, just the habits of content creators. And it still happens that you'll come across objects with no morph organisation at all, the entire morph set is just combined together under one category in the Parameters tab.

edited August 2018

Well, now, I have it. Maybe I didn't shut down /reopen Daz 3d and I should have. Thanks for your help anyway.

However, searching for it, I noticed that I had in the content library a "my library" and a "my DAZ 3d library" sub folders, having a different content (for instance, each one has a genesis8/clothing subfolder, but they include different clothes). What is the difference between those?

Generally speaking, I'm totally confused by the organization of the files in the libraries. I never seem to find what I'm searching for, I've no clue why some elements appear in a folder (or two or three) and not in another, I find elements with a similar function in different folders, or similarly named folders with a different content, I find stuff I had no clue was there, and don't find what I'm sure is there somewhere. Similar elements  (say shoes for a genesis 8 characters) are all over the place. I even suspect that folders and files sometimes temporarily stop appearing in the libraries (does that actually happen?). I'm in fact considering making an excel file of everything there is in those libraries, what category they belong to, and where to find them in the library, but it seems ridiculous to have to do that.

Is that a normal experience, or is there a way to organize the libraries to be able to find easily the content I want (say, in this example, a folder with *all* the genesis 8 clothes neatly organized by category in a subfolder)? Or, generally speaking, how do you go to organize and/or find stuff without opening pretty much all folders and subfolders?

edited August 2018
    odastein said:
    However, searching for it, I noticed that I had in the content library a "my library" and a "my DAZ 3d library" sub folders

odastein said:
    Generally speaking, I'm totally confused by the organization of the files in the libraries. I never seem to find what I'm searching for,

The first quote above is very likely the cause of the second quote, and possibly some of the other problems you've been having.

The way D|S content locations are set up is that at least one folder is defined in the Content Directory Manager dialog as the "base" location. Inside this folder should be the folders that appear in your Content Library tab, plus a /data/ folder (D|S-format files, do not touch), and a /Runtime/ folder (Poser-format files, likewise), both of which are not supposed to show in the Content Library tab. These folders only work if they are directly inside the content location folder; if they're also inside that "My Library" or "My DAZ 3D Library" folder, then D|S will have problems finding the files.

Note that this situation — it's called "nested content" folders — is very easy to do accidentally when you install manually. Fortunately, it's also easily fixed. All you need to do is move (merging where necessary) the contents of the nested folders up one level so they're directly inside the base content folder.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited August 2018
    odastein said:
    However, searching for it, I noticed that I had in the content library a "my library" and a "my DAZ 3d library" sub folders

odastein said:
    Generally speaking, I'm totally confused by the organization of the files in the libraries. I never seem to find what I'm searching for,

The first quote above is very likely the cause of the second quote, and possibly some of the other problems you've been having.

The way D|S content locations are set up is that at least one folder is defined in the Content Directory Manager dialog as the "base" location. Inside this folder should be the folders that appear in your Content Library tab, plus a /data/ folder (D|S-format files, do not touch), and a /Runtime/ folder (Poser-format files, likewise), both of which are not supposed to show in the Content Library tab. These folders only work if they are directly inside the content location folder; if they're also inside that "My Library" or "My DAZ 3D Library" folder, then D|S will have problems finding the files.

Note that this situation — it's called "nested content" folders — is very easy to do accidentally when you install manually. Fortunately, it's also easily fixed. All you need to do is move (merging where necessary) the contents of the nested folders up one level so they're directly inside the base content folder.

OK, after looking at the structure of my files, I see that "My library" and "My DAZ 3D library" are situated in two different places. "My library" is in C/Users/User/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio. "My DAZ 3D library" is in C/Users/Public/Public Documents  Is that normal to begin with?  After checking, it seems that "My library" and the folder immediately above are intended for the scenes and the render library, and "My DAZ 3D library" for content like characters, props, etc..., and that I dropped stuff in the first. So, I'm going to fix that by moving this stuff from "My library" to "My DAZ 3D library" 

That however affects only a very small part of the content, so I will then look into the structures of folders in "My DAZ 3D library".

Edited to add : I'm not completely clear about what you wrote (because when you write "folders", I'm not sure which of the ones you mentioned previously you're refering to). If I understand correctly, you mean that in "My DAZ 3D library", I should find a runtime folder, a data folder, and "categories" folders like "people", "props" or "animals", but no individual files and no specific product folder, right? For instance, the skirt folder I was talking about and its subfolders shouldn't appear in the "My DAZ 3D library" directly, right?  

For instance, I see a "hair" folder directly in "My DAZ 3D library", and I assume it shouldn't be there but somewhere in the subfolders of the "people" category?

• The public My Daz 3d Library folder is the default content directory used by Install Manager, and is set as a content diectory by DS on installation

The /Daz 3D/Studio/My Library in documents is the default location for user files in DS 4, and again iss et as a content diectory by DS on installation.

You will also have /Daz 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect data, which is the default location for Connect installs.

So both are "correct", though not obligatory, and neither is constrained as to the type of file placed in them. Keeping DIM fiels eparate from others (in as far as possible - ExP add-ons for the fourth generation daz figures have to go in the same directory as the base figure, so some degree of mixing may be unavoidable).

Note that the second and third folders listed above are in your Documents folder, if you have told Windows to place that on a drive other than C: before installing DS then that drive will be used for the content.

Thanks for the clarification, Richard, I've been working with custom content settings for so long I sometimes get a bit mixed up on the original setup.

• Some freebies and Rendo products include Smart Content metadata that simply needs to be imported (Smart Content -> Options -> Content DB Maintenance -> Reimport Metadata -> scroll down past all the DAZ 3D ##### stuff and only check mark the products that need importing). Most of Wilmap's newer freebie clothing does this so you can experiment with those.

You can also create your own metadata for products/freebies so they'll appear in Smart Content. There are tutorials on youtube and the forum. (And I didn't double check either of those, so sorry if those are bad tutorials)

Some freebies and Rendo products include Smart Content metadata that simply needs to be imported (Smart Content -> Options -> Content DB Maintenance -> Reimport Metadata -> scroll down past all the DAZ 3D ##### stuff and only check mark the products that need importing). Most of Wilmap's newer freebie clothing does this so you can experiment with those.

You can also create your own metadata for products/freebies so they'll appear in Smart Content. There are tutorials on youtube and the forum. (And I didn't double check either of those, so sorry if those are bad tutorials)

Wilmap's website is a treasure trove. Thanks for the link.

As for learning to create metadata, that sounds like a good idea, but at the moment, I've a lot to do to simply learn the basic functions of Daz 3D, so it will have to wait.