Where is the translation (x,y,z) stored when importing an OBJ?

ForestBoyForestBoy Posts: 76

Hello!

I have already posted the problem with a broader description in a different post but since it didn't get any response, I wanted to formulate the question a bit more distinct.

I used GOZ to bring Genesis 8 Female to ZBrush, then I modelled a hat with roses and leaves on that model.

I exported the hat, the leaves and the roses as separate OBJs.

When I import the hat in DAZ, it snaps perfectly to the head.

When I import the leaves / roses, they are obviously placed at 0,0,0 in the scene, so they are located on the model's feet.

To investigate what's going on here, I took a look at the translation of the hat and the translation (General\Transforms\Translation) of the roses / leaves.

All are at around General\Transforms\Translation -> 0,0,0.

I don't see why the hat snaps onto the head, but the leaves don't.

Where is the translation stored? Obviously not in the hierarchy of the model (General\Transforms\Translation), else the hat wouldn't have a translation of 0,0,0 in the hierarchy.

Thank you.

Post edited by ForestBoy on

Comments

• Where is the hat if you import its OBJ into an empty scene?

• ForestBoyForestBoy Posts: 76
    edited August 2018

It's located where the model's head would be.

Obviously, the coordinates got lost somehow when I deleted the Genesis 8 Female model from ZBrush because I wanted to export only the roses.

What would be the best practice to place the roses on the hat in DAZ? Should I just use Geometry->Transform->Translations?

If yes, can I then "fix" the translations so that they appear as 0,0,0 to indicate that they're at their default location? Or show should I handle this best?

Post edited by ForestBoy on
  • Position the item correctly in DS, hide everything else, and export as OBJ, then import that (with the same preset selected in the options dialogue) and the transforms should be baked in.

• Thank you very much!

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited August 2018

Obviously, the coordinates got lost somehow when I deleted the Genesis 8 Female model from ZBrush because I wanted to export only the roses.

What would be the best practice to place the roses on the hat in DAZ?

For the future workflow - the problem can have been avoided if you didn't have delete the Genesis 8 female in ZBrush. Its good practice to have the figure as a seperate "Subtool" loaded into ZBrush and by default only the selected Subtool like the roses gets exported as OBJ by clicking the export button in the tools palet. You can even select, mask and split by mask if you don't already have seperate Subtools.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on