Cutout opacity image map gives unexpected results on preview

My goal was to hide the legs from the mid shin down on G3F and G8F. I created a simple .jpg to apply to the cutout opacity channel. White above and black below the line that I wanted the shin to go transparent.

It works perfectly in IRay render. But, the previews are messed up. It occurs with G3F and G8F. There appears to be a problem with the normals. The right leg shows through the parts of the left leg that should be opaque.

Again, this is only a problem in preview. Texture shaded, Cartoon shaded, lit wireframe all have the same problem. IRay preview does not. Here is a picture with the cutout opacity image file set to all white. You can see the right leg shows through the left. Since the image file is all white with Cutout Opacity set to 1.0, the preview should be solidly opaque.

See the first image. The second image is a screen grab with no cutout opacity image and cutout opacity set to 1.0

This is not a huge problem since the renders come out fine. But posing becomes a bit more difficult. Is there a preview setting that I have messed up. The problem happens with G3F, G8F, any prop I tried. The problem occurs with IRay as well as 3Delight shaders.

Cutout Opacity error 01.jpg
529 x 740 - 158K
Cutout Opacity error 02.jpg
487 x 901 - 163K

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

I don't think you messed anything up. It is a shortcoming of the openGL preview. You could use Iray Preview, but that might be too slow to work in.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

It's a normal behaviour of the preview when a transmap is applied, nothing to worry about.

• Thanks! Yes the preview in IRay is great in many ways, but alas, decreases speed. Even with a GTX 970. Good to know that this is an "undocumented feature". LOL. It keeps me wasting time trying to fix it.