How to make .dmc file for lip sync?

chriswongbizchriswongbiz Posts: 206
edited August 2018 in New Users

I use DS 4.6 32 bit and I use Mac.  I have Star original, and Star 2. Star 2 can use the lip sync so she can talk, but unfortunately her anime eyes cast shadow inside the eye socket as the eyeballs are a little pushed inside and not flush, ( I don't know why, but it just looks aweful with whatever Light I chose ) so I can't say I really use her.  I on the other hand use Star original a lot.  But, she cannot talk.  So, here my question is, can anyone teach me how to create a  .dmc file for Star, so that she can talk? Much appreciated!

Post edited by chriswongbiz on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

you can edit dmc files in notepad, for Star 2 set the eye movements to zero and save it as a dmc for Star2

for the original Star replace the morphs in the default dmc with what ever ones you wish to use for each expression and viseme

• HI,

Thank you for the response.  But I don't quite follow what you are saying, would you please explain more ? Please !?

the dmc file opened in notepad is in plain text

you can see which morphs are associated with which viseme etc and the values

you can edit this information and then save it as a new name, all files, Star.dmc for example 

I suggested just removing all eye movements by setting to zero but you also could just not have that morph at all included or even use another

• When you said " the dmc file opened in notepad is in plain text" , do you mean,

1}  I duplicate let's say the default dmc file ( because I don't want to lose it if I failed }?

then,

2} I open this duplicated default dmc file in the notepad so that I can edit it by giving this file a new name as Star.dmc?

th3Digit said:

you can edit dmc files in notepad, for Star 2 set the eye movements to zero and save it as a dmc for Star2

for the original Star replace the morphs in the default dmc with what ever ones you wish to use for each expression and viseme

the above:

Star 2 does not have its own dmc file, it is using the Genesis 3 dmc, so do I go ahead to duplicate it and rename it as Star2? and then find the eye movements section inside the file to reset it to zero?

For the original Star, I still don't understand how to replace the morphs with whatever I wish to use for each expression and viseme. I don't know where do I get the "whatever I wish to use" in the first place.

Please advise. Thanks.

I am just zeroing these to remove all eye movement, I really did not want to do all this work myself devil but it is easier than explaining

when done, it's tedious, will upload the txt you can save as all files dmc

have you tried the default dmc in Star original?

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 136K

OK now I am confiused

the g3F one found in your drive:\My Library\General\Mimic Configs works just fine

is that the one you were trying?

Oh now I understand you are a Mac user so don't know what notepad is

its the Windows text editor

you have to open it in what ever Mac uses to edit text and I have no clue about that sorry

• chriswongbizchriswongbiz Posts: 206
    edited August 2018

I have followed your instruction, duplicated default.dmc, renamed it as Star.dmc, opened it in textedit of Mac, inside it I changed :  Left Eye Side-Side, Right Eye Side-Side, Left Eye Up-Down, Right Eye Up-Down.  I don't know what to do about the phonemedef, however I think here is the major problem.  Before, I have tried just simply applying the default.dmc on Star, but the result is aweful, her mouth is just croaked, lips not moving, not talking at all, only dis-figured. Her eyes and head still move with the audio, but not so natural( photo 4). 

Now after I followed your instruction, changed the above gestures in textedit, you can see in photo 1, the result is pretty much the same, Star is not getting the phonemes. And her head still moves a little while "talking", yet, her eyes movement is pretty much similar to photo 4 where default.dmc is applied.

As for Star 2, you can see in the second attached photo that her anime eyes are always appeared to be indented into the eye socket( I don't know why it is like that, the only reason I can think of is that I am using DS 4.6???), so it looks even more wierd  when light is used ( attached photo 3 ) there is a shade/shadow inside the eye socket! That is why i mentioned right from the start i CANNOT use Star 2 at all, even though I can kind of apply the Genesis 3.dmc on her. ( I only have Genesis 3.dmc, I do not have anything named G3F dmc. ) And with this shot in photo 3 you may also notice that  there are certain sounds that makes Star2's lips looking a bit unnatural as well.

I am a Mac user, we use textedit, so there is no problem.  The problem is, what/how to edit to make it works for a Star.dmc.

I have Star, and Star 2, be very happy if they can talk and Star 2's anime eyes works.  Please help.

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 4.15.03 PM.png
    355 x 328 - 99K
    Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 11.52.03 AM.png
    521 x 322 - 148K
    Star 2 lip sync with lights .png
    1920 x 1080 - 673K
    Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 4.22.44 PM.png
    301 x 304 - 81K
  • chriswongbizchriswongbiz Posts: 206
    edited August 2018

By the way, I used the Poser version of Star in the test above, if I use the Daz Version with the .dmc files, Star's lips/mouth is not moving at all.