OT: New Nvidia Cards to come in RTX and GTX versions?! RTX Titan first whispers.

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985
edited December 2018 in The Commons

Take all of this with a grain of salt, but it looks like the new cards coming soon, are supposedly going to be the Geforce 2k series and come as either RTX = Raytracing or GTX = Which I would imagine is Gaming.. The other thing is that they are supposedly going to be named as 2050, 2060, 2070 and 2080..  The video above goes into these new rurmors, leaks but that there is some truth as Nvidia has filed patent names..  One last thing don't take note of the video thumbnail the card images are just there to be because no actual new card images.. :)

Either way we will find out very soon about the new cards..  But having RTX and GTX cards is the main part of this thread..

Added the link to the video mentioned in the first video..

From the second video from the information AdoredTV was given they are supposedly splitting the series..

Short Summary Huge Grain of Salt mode though until next week at least..

RTX Cards

TItan

2080 TU104 8Gig GDDR6

2070 TU106 7Gig GDDR6

GTX Cards

2060 TU116 5Gig GDDR6

2050 TU117 4Gig GDDR5

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/270866/ot-new-nvidia-cards-to-come-in-rtx-and-gtx-versions-rtx-titan-first-whispers#latest

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,355
    edited August 2018

Some background information why NVIDIA introduces the  RTX technology with Volta GPU can be found in this blog entry from March 19, 2018:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/03/19/whats-difference-between-ray-tracing-rasterization/

"NVIDIA RTX is a ray tracing technology that brings real-time, cinematic-quality rendering to content creators and game developers."

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985
    edited August 2018

Ahh k, but it looks like they are going straight to Turing for all their new cards..  Seems like Volta was just for those cards that used it and that will be the end of Volta..  Either way it is interesting that they are going to use this new naming scheme..

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Wow, that should give the enthusiasts a lot to get all giggly over laugh

Though I suppose it's kinda obvious that the next generations after the 1xxx series might be the 2xxx series. 

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction:

NVIDIA will be introducing the 3xxx series, with vastly improved capabillities over previous series. And these things will be BEASTS and will blow all previous versions out of the water.  

Remember you heard it here first.... laugh

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

So are we slowly moving to Real Time Raytraced games? From that point I can understand a generation that has both options as a sort of transition-as games come out that take advantage of RTX tech, and game developers learn better techniques to take maximum advantage.

For render artists is just good news either way : faster renders.

• What did they protect? If they are protecting 2080RTX etc. that may just be defensive, not necessarily proof that thoes will be the names used (unless they haven't protected the 11x0-type names).

edited August 2018
    Paintbox said:

I'm usually pretty poor at predicting what the next latest thing will be (I never in a million years expected Facebook to amount to anything), but this I'm pretty confident that the following will apply for the next 20-30 years:

• New technologies will continually make renders get faster
    Post edited by ebergerly on
    edited August 2018

What did they protect? If they are protecting 2080RTX etc. that may just be defensive, not necessarily proof that thoes will be the names used (unless they haven't protected the 11x0-type names).

According to this website https://videocardz.com/77166/nvidia-registers-turing-geforce-rtx-and-quadro-rtx-trademarks they are claiming that Nvidia have trademarked the new names for the new cards..  With this site https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-rtx-20-series-titan-rtx-geforce-rtx-2080-rumors/ adding a bit more information..  And the second video from AdoredTV the link is in my OP goes a bit more into it..

But as always big grain of salt mode until Nvidia do their official realease supposedly next week..

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    ebergerly said:
    Paintbox said:

I'm usually pretty poor at predicting what the next latest thing will be (I never in a million years expected Facebook to amount to anything), but this I'm pretty confident that the following will apply for the next 20-30 years:

Well, it hasn't amounted to much. :) Popular but not useful imo

• nicstt said:
    ebergerly said:
    Paintbox said:

I think Mark Zuckerburgs back account would disagree :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

...why would they downgrade the VRAM in the 1070's successor from 8 GB to 7 GB?  For a card that supposedly is to be marketed for raytrace rendering?  That doesn't make any sense at all particularly if it is going to cost more than it's 8 GB predecessor.  For CG rendering, VRAM is the most important attribute, for once a scene exceeds the cards memory and dumps, all that extra speed will be meaningless.

It would make more sense if the RTX 2070 remained at 8GB (or possibly going to 10GB) and the RTX 2080 was moved to 12GB with the Titan upgraded to 16 GB (making it a bit more worth the 3,000$ price tag). Any "Ti" version then would add Tensor cores rather instead of a memory boost.

Just conjecture.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

RTX is almost certainly from Tensor cores. So if they cut off the 2060, then the 2060 and below must not include any Tensor cores at all. It is my belief that for Daz Iray, Tensor cores will be a big deal, even bigger than it is for gamers. A lot of video games will not bother with real time ray tracing, only the bigger ones trying to push tech will do so. At least not at first. I think you can see just how much of a difference these Tensor cores make by looking at the Titan V. The Titan V is an order of magnetude faster than the previous gen XP, over twice as fast at Iray calculations. The Titan V is a beast, but it is not THAT much more powerful than Titan XP, the difference is from the Tensor cores.

https://www.migenius.com/products/nvidia-iray/iray-2017-1-benchmarks

However, I have major reservations with the rumor's VRAM counts. They make no sense at all. The 2070 may be much faster than the 1070, but 7GB VRAM is highly bizarre and a step back.

edited August 2018

...I agree about the speculation on the RTX 2070's VRAM  if anything like I mention it should remain the same as the 1070 (8GB)  or maybe be increased a bit (same for the 2080).  Yeah if they do already include Tensor cores, that would be a major bonus as then you would have the full advantage of AI denoising.

I still feel increasing the VRAM of the Titan would not only make sense for it being the top of the new RTX line, but better justify its extreme price as it already has Tensor cores.  In the Maxwell days, they doubled the VRAM of the Quadro M6000 from 12GB to 24GB, but kept the price the same, don't see why they can't do so for the Titan.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 2018
    kyoto kid said:

...why would they downgrade the VRAM in the 1070's successor from 8 GB to 7 GB?  For a card that supposedly is to be marketed for raytrace rendering?  That doesn't make any sense at all particularly if it is going to cost more than it's 8 GB predecessor.  For CG rendering, VRAM is the most important attribute, for once a scene exceeds the cards memory and dumps, all that extra speed will be meaningless.

It would make more sense if the RTX 2070 remained at 8GB (or possibly going to 10GB) and the RTX 2080 was moved to 12GB with the Titan upgraded to 16 GB (making it a bit more worth the 3,000$ price tag). Any "Ti" version then would add Tensor cores rather instead of a memory boost.

Just conjecture.

That is why I put in my posts to take this with a large does of salt / skepticism as it is all still rumor and conjecture, while this is the most "credible" evidence yet we wont really know for sure until at least next week when Nvidia are supposedly revealing the new cards..

RTX is almost certainly from Tensor cores. So if they cut off the 2060, then the 2060 and below must not include any Tensor cores at all. It is my belief that for Daz Iray, Tensor cores will be a big deal, even bigger than it is for gamers. A lot of video games will not bother with real time ray tracing, only the bigger ones trying to push tech will do so. At least not at first. I think you can see just how much of a difference these Tensor cores make by looking at the Titan V. The Titan V is an order of magnetude faster than the previous gen XP, over twice as fast at Iray calculations. The Titan V is a beast, but it is not THAT much more powerful than Titan XP, the difference is from the Tensor cores.

https://www.migenius.com/products/nvidia-iray/iray-2017-1-benchmarks

However, I have major reservations with the rumor's VRAM counts. They make no sense at all. The 2070 may be much faster than the 1070, but 7GB VRAM is highly bizarre and a step back.

Yeah the RTX cards will be the ones supposedly with the Tensor Cores and the ability for realtime raytracing and so on..  And true with the vram sizes, even those announcing all this found it a bit odd for the weird amounts.. Hopefully we will find out for sure next week..

....with the addition of Tensor cores it makes me a little concerned over what the pricing will be like.  The Titan series more than doubled in price from 1,200$ for the Pascal version to 3,000$ for the Volta one with Tensor Cores, yet it still had 12GB of VRAM (albeit HBM2 instead of GDDR5-X.).

kyoto kid said:

....with the addition of Tensor cores it makes me a little concerned over what the pricing will be like.  The Titan series more than doubled in price from 1,200$ for the Pascal version to 3,000$ for the Volta one with Tensor Cores, yet it still had 12GB of VRAM (albeit HBM2 instead of GDDR5-X.).

Can only hope that the supposed release next week, will shed some light on this.. There was mention of HBM2 but that is just all heresay until they release the cards..

I think the Titan will get a VRAM bump, the CEO Edition featured a massive jump to 32GB. While I don't think the Titan RTX will get that much, it has to break the 12GB barrier that seems to have formed in recent years. Titans have had 12GB since early 2015, its time to move on from that.

I'm 100% certain that Tensor cores are where the RTX comes from. Nvidia has touted both RTX and Tensor for a while. Titan V has 640 Tensor cores. I'm guessing Titan RTX will get more. The 2080 might have somewhere close to that 640, and the 2070 may have around 50-66% of that number. If they go below that, their usefulness may drop too much to be worth bothering. Maybe. It will be interesting how they do this. Because if the 2060 and below have no Tensor cores, that would create a huge gap between the 2070 and 2060, even larger than any gap we've seen before. They will all be capable of playing RTX games with software like DX12, but Tensor cores will have a big advantage in any game that uses real time ray tracing. This is quite a different thing from past Nvidia tech, like Hairworks. Hairworks didn't have a dedicated hardware element like Tensor behind it.

It will be even more interesting to see how this shapes up for GPUs even further down the road. I believe that Tensor is being designed to replace CUDA, and eventually they will move further and further in that direction, until they are all Tensor cores. Of course that means that CUDA apps will either need to be updated, or Tensor will be able to run CUDA for compatibilty.

In other news, I'm seeing brand new 1080ti's for $680 on a routine basis, and the price has not officially dropped. I wonder what they will be going for in a few weeks after the launch.

ghosty12 said:
    kyoto kid said:

Can only hope that the supposed release next week, will shed some light on this.. There was mention of HBM2 but that is just all heresay until they release the cards..

...as I understand the GTX/RTX cards will most likely use the new DDR6 memory chips.  Only the Titan series will have HBM2.

edited August 2018

..that's why I could easily see 16 GB Titan, maybe 24, but not 32.  With the recent direction development of their pro grade cards is heading it feels they may no longer offer a full family of Quadro models as in the past, particularly given NVLInk's capacity for memory pooling. 

More likely I see the new Titan as filling the niche of the former Q "5000" series.

edited August 2018
    kyoto kid said:
    ghosty12 said:
    kyoto kid said:

...as I understand the GTX/RTX cards will most likely use the new DDR6 memory chips.  Only the Titan series will have HBM2.

Yeah it was something like that but at the moment there is no word as of yet what type of vram the TitanRTX will use, just hearsay at the moment..

kyoto kid said:

..that's why I could easily see 16 GB Titan, maybe 24, but not 32.  With the recent direction development of their pro grade cards is heading it feels they may no longer offer a full family of Quadro models as in the past, particularly given NVLInk's capacity for memory pooling. 

More likely I see the new Titan as filling the niche of the former Q "5000" series.

Pretty much a case of wait and see what memory size they do go with the TitanRTX and what the real sizes of the other cards will be.. The other thing with the new cards was the new design of the connector bridge on the top of the new cards..

Rumors running around at the moment talk about that it could be a sort of combination NVLink / SLI that apart from supposedly allowing videocard memory pooling it would also allow for GPU pooling as well..

So you have two 2080's or whatever connected by this new interface bridge and if Nvidia enable it in iRay can only imagine what sorts of speeds people might see..

nicstt said:
    ebergerly said:
    Paintbox said:

I think Mark Zuckerburgs back account would disagree :)

Dissent is always useful. It's not like the majority have never been wrong before. :)

Whatever gets released, I wont be buying until I can use if for rendering; it took about 3 or 4 months iirc last time. If I buy at all.

Wish Daz would integrate a renderer that wasn't tied to one supplier.

edited August 2018
    ...+1. Why I'm looking forward to Octane4 as it will also have a subscription version.
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

I wish Nvidia had a program where you can trade-in your old Nvidia card for a new one.  You can't expect someone to go out and buy a new $700 card every year.  I want some cash back for my old one. :)

Dave230 said:

I wish Nvidia had a program where you can trade-in your old Nvidia card for a new one.  You can't expect someone to go out and buy a new $700 card every year.  I want some cash back for my old one. :)

You can. It's called eBay. 

edited April 2019

Lost of scams on eBay.

Post edited by Seven193 on
    Dave230 said:
    ebergerly said:

I don't sell things over 50 bucks on Ebay.  It's called getting scammed.

Don't sell to questionable buyers, document everything, and don't ship before getting the money in the bank. I have not sold any cards on ebay, but I have bought several. Its been painless.

But more over, consider this: why would a scammer target a last generation GPU if they weren't going to pay for it? A scammer would be more likely to target what's new.

There is a website just for selling your old GPUs, simply called sellgpu.com.

https://www.sellgpu.com/

However don't expect much. Like they might give you $352 for a 1080ti, LOL. That is how it is. Even if there was a trade in program offered, it would be pretty similar, they have to make money. You'd only get about 50% back at best, have you ever watched Pawn Stars or American Pickers? Selling to a reseller is not going to pay as well. The only way to maximize your value is to sell directly to another person, whether that is somewhere near your home or on a website like ebay.

Thanks, anything less than 50% would be a no go for me.  Most of the 1080s on Ebay are going for half the price too.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Trouble with selling things on eBay that are expensive is you are not likely to get a fair offer as a 'non-business' seller. Same with Etsy. I know I've see others try to get fair prices and myself too but the offers never come so you'd best make an absolutely reasonable reserve that doesn't loose you too much of a fair price and if it doesn't go much higher than that well don't be surprise. 

It's sort of like going to an auction house to get appraisals as a nobody; nobodies are who these auction houses salivate waiting to ripoff. Even then though often it is more imortant you have some social status to get your items appraised and auctioned then the actual worth of the item being auctioned! eg, old JFK boxer underwear offered by a Kennedy family member? A big go! Your 252 of 300 bronze by famous artist of 100 years ago. Not interested.

ebergerly said:
    Dave230 said:

,...which requires a PayPal membership even to use a Bank card.  There was an article this week on one of the major tech sites where this service was found to be vulnerable to being compromised.

• kyoto kid said:

this service was found to be vulnerable to being compromised.

Everything is.. sadly.. but protect yourself best you can and you'll be fine. Everyone is in the same boat.