Why the shadow of the arm is not projected on the body?

edited August 2018 in The Commons

Hello to all.

Can anyone tell me why I can not project the shadows of an object or, as in this case, the arm on the body of the character? The same also applies to the shadows on the ground. They do not appear, and I do not know why.

The problem persists even after rendering. I'm using 3delight, no Iray, but it is obvious that this is not the problem.

Post edited by shadydubidia_d2c95349a7 on

Comments

• Update: in recent months I have been using very little Daz, I mainly use its products in other programs, and I have forgotten some features. Sorry.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

well...i don't use 3DL much these days. 

but are you rendering straight from your viewport camera?  if you are, the camera headlight is going to overpower whatever other lighting you have set up in the scene.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574

What are the settings for the light in the lights tab? Is there a shadow type selected? There should be options for shadow map or ray traced.

• ForceXForceX Posts: 52

That does not look like a render just a screen grab of your viewport. Dynamic shadows typically are not in viewports only shadowless direct lighting. Also I don’t see a ground mesh object for ground shadows to fall on.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2018

Hello to all.

Can anyone tell me why I can not project the shadows of an object or, as in this case, the arm on the body of the character? The same also applies to the shadows on the ground. They do not appear, and I do not know why.

The problem persists even after rendering. I'm using 3delight, no Iray, but it is obvious that this is not the problem.

In 3DL the shadows for the DS standard lights are set to off by default. You have to select a light, then go to parameters pane/lights/shadow type and select raytraced shadows. The other option is mapped shadows, not as good an option IMO. Also make sure in the render settings pane/editor/samples that raytrace depth is at min 1, if set to 0 there is no raytracing going on, thus no shadows. If you want ground shadows with no actual ground/mesh you need to create a primitive plane and apply a shadow catcher shader to it.

ETA: As poined out, you need to render out your scene to see the shadows, they won't appear in the viewport.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • edited August 2018

jardineQuasarratz43 and Sven Dullah, thanks for reply, and sorry for the delay, but I was pretty busy.

Anyway, as I have specified, the problem persisted even after rendering, so it is obvious that the attached image served only as an example. Also, I know that to project the character's shadow to the ground, it must rest on a surface. It's obvious.

In addition, the solution to the problem reside in the lighting settings: under the "Shadow Type" entry, the default setting is set on None. In this case, the result will be as in the figure on the left of the image below, but activating the Deep Shadow Map command, you will get a more realistic shadow simulation, as you can see in the image on the right.

Although I have to admit that the third option, Reytraced (software only) I have no idea what could be.

So, as already said, problem solved. I just forgot how it works.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited August 2018

jardineQuasarratz43 and Sven Dullah, thanks for reply, and sorry for the delay, but I was pretty busy.

Anyway, as I have specified, the problem persisted even after rendering, so it is obvious that the attached image served only as an example. Also, I know that to project the character's shadow to the ground, it must rest on a surface. It's obvious.

In addition, the solution to the problem reside in the lighting settings: under the "Shadow Type" entry, the default setting is set on None. In this case, the result will be as in the figure on the left of the image below, but activating the Deep Shadow Map command, you will get a more realistic shadow simulation, as you can see in the image on the right.

Although I have to admit that the third option, Reytraced (software only) I have no idea what could be.

Raytracing Shadows are a lot more 'realistic' than Deep Shadow maps and personally I never really liked the deep shadow maps especially the log calculations before the render starts.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited August 2018
    scorpio said:

Raytracing Shadows are a lot more 'realistic' than Deep Shadow maps and personally I never really liked the deep shadow maps especially the log calculations before the render starts.

Well those are the tab settings you want to use to create shadow maps you can adjust the color of the shodows using the tabs just below as well   I would use the raytrace option myself for a single light source. . Deep shadow maps are great to use for ambient & side light source when rendering in 3delight.. Deep shadow settings actually do render quicker than raytrace. but with less defined shadows.  its just seems like it takes longer because it makes 2 calculation passes before rendering so the first pass is compliling the textures & light for shadows the second pass renders the image.  Raytrace does the compiling and rendering in a single pass calculation, But if you look at the log file you'll see deep shadow settings render faster than raytrace. 

Also depending on your texture size and ploy count in the geometry of the models being used   raytrace can take hours to render specially if your using Uber-light sources and shaders. But there are cheats and work around to speed up renders when using those UE light sources within studio. just alot of people prefer iray over 3dl for the ease of use & the phtorealistic results you get.

Personally I prefer 3DL to use for animation over iray because of the control I have over light & shadow maps when create a toon atmosphere. and the speed at which I can render each scene.  I prefer iray when I am rendering stills

Post edited by Ivy on