Daz 4.10 content library - can't find the right answer

Comments

• Smart Content isn't a location on disc that can be isntalled to, it's a database-driven view that shows eferences to files aranged in categories. If content isn't in a mapped diectory, so that it can be seen under Daz Studio Formats>My daz 3D Library>folder (or whatever content diectory you use in plae of My Daz 3d Library) ir won't show in Smart Content, or in the Categories list in the Content Library pane. If files are in the content directory (My Daz 3D Library) then they should always appear under Daz Studio Formats, or Poser Formats, in the Content Library pane as those are direct views of files on disc.

• It worked for close to six months (when I first downloaded it) in it's present form until two days ago. I suppose my only fix is to delete DAZ Studio and reload a fresh version. If I do that, will my content directories (My Daz3d Libraries) and my Poser forum directory be deleted as well? If not, will there be a way to connect the pertinent files back to the program without loading my files one by one? Such as in Poser where you can add several runtimes instead of loading the files individually?

Just grasping at the elusive Daz Studio straws.

Thanks for your help, Richard.

• If it's a directory or database issue then uninstalling and reinstalling won't help.

• Don't mean to sound like Eeyore, but it would seem as though my days as a Daz Studio 'artist' are a thing of the past. I've tried everything I know to do. The frustration just isn't worth it. I did absolutely nothing to my libraries. And yet it's always best to put the blame on the user. Funny how that works. I realize this kind of thing is out of your wheelhouse, But I do appreciate the act of trying to solve the issue. Many thanks, Richard. Now... what to do with all this extra money?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,262

Don't mean to sound like Eeyore, but it would seem as though my days as a Daz Studio 'artist' are a thing of the past. I've tried everything I know to do. The frustration just isn't worth it. I did absolutely nothing to my libraries. And yet it's always best to put the blame on the user. Funny how that works. I realize this kind of thing is out of your wheelhouse, But I do appreciate the act of trying to solve the issue. Many thanks, Richard. Now... what to do with all this extra money?

Before you go away completely, are you saying that you don't see your content in the libary or are you saying that you don't see it as smart content.  The whole exchange is a little confusing; you mention making categories which is smart content/ metadata thing or are you just grouping things that you rhink go together into folders that you consider categoies?  For example, I assume you were installing manually, what did you do to categorize and what did you do with the little files that told smart content where things went?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Did anything change on your computer between the time it was working and when it stopped? OS update? Antivirus update? Anti-malware update? anything else similar?

• No Chohole, no updates or any changes. I try to leave my computer insides alone as possible. I load everything from Daz3d through their uploader automatically. Anything purchased elsewhere, I use the path to 'My Daz 3d Library Library and paste it there as instructed in most read-mes'. My problem started when I accidentally somehow pushed the magical button on the 'content' side. Of course my list of content files on the left hand side 'disappeared. I was left only with the photos of the last file I'd opened. Of course I then spent some time trying to get my 'file' side back. Finally in a forum someone mentioned how to restore my files so I could see them by pushing the same evil magical button.(once I found it) Okay... so it looked like they came back. After a closer look, I noticed I had one character button. The only thing it had was Edie 8 maps. Nothing else. Now I know the Edie 8 character is found in Smart Content along with a few other characters. (I have no idea how or why that is decided). Smart Content was working correctly. Content Library was however a mess. I went to my Daz 3d Library and could find nothing out of order. All the Characters, Hair, and accessories were intact.

I am by no means code writer or IE man, but I have a hard time grasping the idea that I was at fault when I had done anything other than pushing that evil button accidently, I hope you can offer some suggestions or fixes. I'm at a loss. I worked with Poser, Vue, and Carrara since 2004. I've never encountered a program so fraught with issues as Daz4.10 When I can get it to work, it produces remarkable images. It just seems a wheel falls off on many occasions.

I own an intel NUC computer, 64 bit, with a great graphic card. (So says my son, he's the family computer whiz.) Just don't know where I went wrong. 
    Thanks for your help!

• Please go to Edit>Preferences, in that open the Content tab, and click the button for Content Directory Manager. Expand the list under current set so you can see all the folder names, take a screenshot, and post it here.

• Thanks, Richard. Hope this proves productive. Everything seems normal to me, but I'm not a Daz Whiz by any means.

content directory.JPG
    461 x 452 - 28K
  • You need to expand the entries to show the actual paths.

• Thanks, Richard.I didn't understand your needs earlier. Hope this works.

no.2.JPG
    461 x 462 - 42K
  • OK, so if you use a regular file explorer to go to C:/Users/Larry/Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library and C/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library, do the /People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters folders have your isntalled characters, between them, or are they missing there? Generally there will be a sub-folder for each character.

• OK in going straight to 'Documents' instead of 'Public documents, I find three catagories. 'Data, presets, and scenes. The scene folder is empty, The presets contain three duf. saved files I don't remember saving, and the Data looks like this:    (except with more of the same. There are no Daz Characters involved)

data.JPG
    840 x 576 - 76K
  • This is 'My Library' in the non public folder

data2.JPG
    908 x 162 - 26K
  • Btw, I have never consciously or intentionally posted ANYTHING in the non-public 'My Library'. Not to say I did not do something unwittingly, but I've endeavored to be very presice when dealing with Daz Studio.

• Yes, that's the expected content* - how about the My Daz 3D Library?

* auto_adapted isn't going to be added to - DS used to make automatic assets for imported content - Poser format items and OBJ files - but that could be roublesome so it has stopped doing so and now enbeds imported items that haven't beens aved as assets in the scene file and some preset types.

• But let me ask you this, Richard. What triggerred the whole episode? I know I accidentally pushed that almost unseeable button and collapsed one side, Yet when I was told how to restore it, it came back, but was missing most of the content.. My : Public/My Daz 3d Library, as far as I can tell, is still normal. I've gone through all my folders Male and female, by charcter, hair and clothing. Everything is still there.

My Daz Library > People screenshot:

snafu.JPG
    1140 x 279 - 45K
  • Closing the tree doesn't have any way to affect the database or the files on disc, it's just a display setting.

The folder screenshot shows you have thje top-level folder, which I thought was showing in the Content Library pane - it's the folders where the characters should be found but aren't that I'd like to see.

• I don't have the knowledge of how to open that folder ' where the characters should be found but aren't ' All the folders in 'Public>MyDaz2 Library' are in order. In other words, all the characters I installed, Daz Installer installed, or those that came with the program seem to be in working order.

Not sure if this is the folder you wanted to see. If not, let me know and I'll try to display it.

genesis1.JPG
    665 x 298 - 39K
  • Here is an example of an opened character folder.

characters.JPG
    849 x 360 - 47K
  • And those are not appearing in the Content Library under Daz Studio  Formats>My Daz 3D Library>People>Genesis 8 Female>Character?

• Negative. they only show up in 

aaa.JPG
    773 x 30 - 14K
  • lryhall_17d185bd0dlryhall_17d185bd0d Posts: 127
    edited October 2018

No only here in 'Public' Documents: For whatever reason, it will not alow me to just attach the file path. Just pieces.

aaa.JPG
    773 x 30 - 14K
    aaa.JPG
    773 x 30 - 14K
    Post edited by lryhall_17d185bd0d on
  • Post a screenshot showing the actual folders in the screenshot from your last post, plus a screenshot of the Content Library pane expanded to show Daz Studio Formats>My Daz 3D Library>People>Genesis 8 Female>Characters, with the sub-folder list visible, or as close to that as you can get.

• Roger, if you'll look four posts above your latests, You will see what I think it is you are asking for. Right at the top. I didn't include all that was in the folder, because it would have taken miltiple screenshots. If it's neccessary for you to see more, by all means ask. Thanks

• Yes , that shows the file browser view, thanks - but what about the Content Library view in DS?

• Not sure I know what you're talking about. I know very little about the inner working files of the platform, how it's named, or how to access them. I have knowledge only to gain access to what you call 'a browser file' and other ancillary files in which I add new character files and things I've purchased.  I will however, Google around and look in other forums that might shed some light on your request. Please excuse my ignorance on the workingd mechanisms of the Daz Studio Platform.

Thanks for your time.

• After googling and finding a video by Eric Merrit regarding Content Library. I hope this is that for which you wish.

daz content.JPG
    352 x 604 - 45K
  • And one scrolled down a little further to Genesis 8 in 'People.

content edie.JPG
    346 x 610 - 45K
  • That's not the My Daz 3d Library folder, though, that's the "virtual folder" for Daz Connect (that is, it's the aggregate of all the separate folders created in the My Daz Connect Library when you install from within DS). Click the triangle next to the Daz Connect entry and it will collapse, immediately under it you shoudl see the My Daz 3D Library and if you click its triangle, then that next to people, Genesis 8 female, and Characters you should find all the items installed with Install Manager that you were missing.