Daz 4.10 content library - can't find the right answer

I used to use Daz starting at the end of Daz 2.x into Daz 3.x and up. My content library was very easy to understand and was well-organized, things showed up without any issues ever. This isn't the case in the more recent versions of Daz. In 4.10, I can barely find any of my items- even those installed with DIM- and it has to be in Daz Studio Format. Poser Format doesn't show anything. Here's what it looks like.

I've tried different folder setups I've seen around while trying to find what I've done wrong here. Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Rather than a video, which was too blurry to read and too quick-fire to follow, please post static screen shots of the DIM Instalaltion tab (click the gear icon at top-right) and of the Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager dialogue showing the current paths.

• In 1080p fullscreen, it's rather clear. The goal wasn't to really have you read everything and it was sped up as it was just me showing how items do show up in Daz Studio Format (in folders that can be confusing to find, as you can see by so many threads being opened to get to one item), yet Poser Format is empty. There are also many items missing from the Daz Format, which isn't really easy to show. Along with this, the short glimpse of DIM (pause is a friend if that's too quick) simply shows I have a few items installed through it that, obviously, do not show in Poser Format either. I didn't show this, but Smart Content contains nothing as well. I don't ever use Smart Content, so that's not an issue for me, but I assumed content installed through DIM such as Genesis items would be in Smart Content.

These are my paths right now, but I have tried several different suggested setups for Daz 4.10 folders from what I've found around. Currently, I have everything moved into the folder where DIM installed to. Before this, however, I had my separate downloads from other sites in C:/Documents/Daz 3D/My Daz 3D Library. Both paths were in my Daz Format and Poser Format paths. No changes in folder setup have changed anything in the slightest. If there's a new way to do Content Directory setup in 4.10, I'd love to know the proper way. Thank you!

• Poser content gets its own Poser Formats category in the Content Library pane, as long as you've specified where your Poser Content is.

Poser's original directory structure is also maintained for Poser content, so if textures for something are under Pose in Poser, that's where they are in DS' Poser Content section.

DIM-installed items should also be found in the Smart Content pane, or you can dig through the Daz Studio Formats section. You can also Search, assuming you know what you're looking for.

Figures such as Genesis 3, Victoria 7, etc are under People, not Figures. Below those, you should find all their accessory items - Hair, Clothes, Poses, etc. If not under a specific named character like Vicky 7, you may find them under the Genesis 3 Female folder.

It does take a while to get used to, and is considerably different from Poser's directory structure.

Of course, you can also build your own directory structure, if you're inclined to spend the time on it.

• On original play-trhough the video didn't coem clear even full screen. it did (eventually) in the second go - I noticed that you have a folder named Content in the My Daz 3D Library, that should not be there (and DIM didn't put it there), you need to take the stuff that is in the Content folder and place it in the My Daz 3D Library folder. Similarly with any other sub-folders of My Daz 3d Library that contain Runtime or Data folders.

• DrNewcenstein, if you take a look at my video, items show up solely in Daz Studio Format. No items (except one bundle of lights from one creator) seem to show in Poser Format. I've opened every folder and checked. Also, I've used Poser before, but have used Daz Studio rather consistently for several years, starting back in earlier versions. I do understand how the Poser Format section should work, but it does not show anything properly; and Smart Content shows aboslutely nothing, even when searching. This is a new problem that I have never experienced in any Daz up until the last 2 versions. 

Richard, I must have extracted that download wrong and I will fix the content folder, but everything else is placed properly. And, like I said, even DIM-installed items don't show properly whether that folder is out of place or not. I've still not found a solution for this. 

May I also mention that this is all new content I've gathered after trying this version of Daz after having issues with 4.9 with my long-built runtime of content. I'm not home at the moment, but I will adjust the content folder and leave a screenshot of what my 'My Daz 3D Library' folder looks like to see if there may be an issue somehow there.

• Okay, I've moved the contents of the Content folder into the proper folder (thanks for the catch), and checked and refreshed the content library in Daz 4.10. Everything is exactly the same.
    I do hope I've just put things in my library folder wrong, but why wouldn't DIM-installed items show up properly? I'm very frustrated and confused.

• Perhaps you could give a couple of examples of things that are installed but not showing, it might then be possible to do some troubleshooting.

• The only thing that does actually show up in Poser Format is a set of 2 lights from Jura. Nothing else shows. DIM-installed items don't show. I'm not understanding how this could be a minor issue in folder setup, would DIM do that wrong?

• But what items have you installed that you expect to show?

• Well, my old runtime that I tried had many, many items. None of which showed, but used to just fine. Right now, I have G3F and G8F starter essentials installed through DIM.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

How libraries are mapped in Studio has not changed.  It looks like you have nested libraries inside of your "My DAZ3D Library" folder.

• Well, my old runtime that I tried had many, many items. None of which showed, but used to just fine. Right now, I have G3F and G8F starter essentials installed through DIM.

Neither Genesis 3 not Genesis  8 have Poser-compatible files.

Where is your old Runtime? Have you merged it with the Runtime in the My Daz 3D Library folder?

• I have finally figured it out!
    I was having issues because I didn't install PostgreSQL CMS. It's installed and everything is normal. I am being more careful with my third party content and keeping that separate.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

• My content render pane has disappeared with all the content completely. Again, I have no content library pane. Does anyone here have an idea as to where it might have gotten off to? Many Thanks. Daz Studio 4.10 btw.

pane.JPG
    315 x 639 - 35K
  • What are you expecting to see? The box you are typing into, the filter box, is not going to search for a pane name like Content Library. if you eman you've lost the actual Content Library pane, Window>Panes(Tabs)>Content Library should open it.

• Well. I guess I was expecting to see a pane called Content Library. I did try what you said, and the pane (content library) did come back. but it was totally bereft of content.

pane2.JPG
    304 x 603 - 21K
  • The container list is collapsed. The little bar half-way down the left-hand frame is an expand/collapse toggle - click it to show the container list again.

• Okay Richard. Thanks for the help. However, in returning it to it's default state using the method you mentioned, all of my characters in at least G3 and G8 no longer exist. There's not even a 'Characters' choice. It's been eliminated. I was determined to try and work with Daz, but it's like walking through a minefield. (borrowing a previous mention)  I am in way deep moneywise. It is hard to just toss it aside. Particularly since I purchased a G3 Character less than an hour ago. Awwww, what's $16.00 anyway, huh? If that was all, I would have gotten off cheaply. But sadly, I continue throwing good money after bad on a buggy platform. And yes, all the  parts of the character I bought did show up in my Daz Library folder where it should be. I just now have no spot to put a 'character' in my content library. Somehow, they went away. Another day spent pulling my hair out over Daz Studio. They could learn things about stable platforms from Poser. Hopefully, you have an idea. It's just getting where Daz is more stressful than satisfying artistically

Thanks for any thoughts you might offer.

• You mean Daz Studio Formats><content directory>People>Genesis 3 Female>Characters is empty?

• I'm saying there is no 'character' choice anymore for G3 or G8/ I have some of the 'Hair' left, and some clothes, but not even a Character file to click on. I wish I was pulling your leg, believe me. I'm afraid I'm going to have to delete Daz Studio 4.10, reload it and try to reload all my content. I'd rather have a root canal.

• I'm still not clear what is happening, perhaps if you post some screenshots marked with what you ought to be seeing but aren't.

• I have a gut feeling this may be an exercise in futility. I appreciate your efforts to help. I'm certainly no coding expert, but even I can see deep platform stability issues. I hope I'm proven wrong. Work your magic!

scr1.JPG
    434 x 591 - 49K
    scr2.JPG
    434 x 595 - 38K
  • I've also just been going through my Daz Library Folder. It appears a large majority of items have been deleted from there. I use the importer for most all of my Daz3 downloads. Something in the program has made a collosal mess of things. Thanks for the help you've offerred Richard, and I realize not everyone has the necessary tools to interpret program glitches. I don't envy you in your job, Ultimately the blame is on myself for not stopping when I first realized the program was a little shaky. I would have hundreds of extra dollars in my account. It's a promising program if they ever work out the bugs. Thanks again for your effort.

• Are you sure that you haven't changed your content directory settings? That would make stuff disappear from DS, even if it was still on disc.

The text in the filter box isn't going to do much - the search in the Content Library pane is a fairly basic filename search.

• Richard? I haven't purposely changed my contact directory, but once parts of my my content library disappeared, I tried just about every possible button or pane setting to recover it. I did not change my content directory knowingly. As you yourself know, Daz4 is a very complicated and (being honest) is not a particulary user friendly UI. The slightest wrong click on almost anything can set off a 'Butterfly Effect' from which the average John Q. cannot stop once set in motion. Trying your own cures is a bad thing in Daz4

• Can you check to see if you have the missing stuff on disc, and if so post its location. Is Edie in the same place?

• If by on disc, you mean MyDaz Library on my 'C' disc, yes, everything I opened seemed to be in order. It seemingly was not previously all there. Everything is still screwed up in the 'content library' pane. Is there a way to just reload my "My Daz 3d Library"? I haven't even tried looking at my Poser Format items.

I think I'm going to reboot my computer and see what happens.

• I rebooted, and realized no change for the better in the UI (content library)  :(

• lryhall_17d185bd0dlryhall_17d185bd0d Posts: 127
    edited October 2018

If by location in terms of where my "MyDaz3d Library. Edie is in the G8 section. (as far as her Mats anyway. The Edie Character itself  (duf?) was downloaded into smart content.

Not sure where those k's came from, I didn't enter them.
    Here is the path to my "My Daz3d Library:

location.JPG
    552 x 31 - 12K
    location.JPG
    552 x 31 - 12K
    Post edited by lryhall_17d185bd0d on
  • After looking at the screenshot of the pathway again, I noticed it is wrong. I'll type it in manually.

>This PC> Local Disc (C:) > Users > Public > Public Documents > My Daz3d Library

Sorry for the glitch on the screen shot above. Dunno what happened.