I got it because of a tree Complaint Thread

1181921232450

Comments

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    tjohn said:
    Having a general generic frowny day.
    I suspect I have GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome). >:-(

    I felt JUST like that when I woke up today! :bug: :ahhh:

    Skeery... :gulp:

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    12:30PM and it's already 93F. Supposed to hit 105F today. :ahhh:

    Out of 1/2 and 1/2 but I'm not carrying it home in my pack in this heat! :bug: It'd boil.. :sick:

    Volumetric testing #001!


    ...looks pretty good.
  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Now have 2 high-quality volumetric lights rendering.. one on a red light, should be interesting to see the results. I'll know in about 45 inutes.. lol! :blank:

    I wonder if Carrara would render this kind of thing faster? Since Carrara supportss Genesis now, I suppose I could give it a try.. better for FVX scenes.. :-S

    I'm gonna get a beer soon, to heck with it! The Sun is way over the yardarm..! :snake:

    Tori Amos on now - "God" - live! :coolsmile:

  • TjohnTjohn Posts: 9,814
    edited December 1969

    tjohn said:
    Having a general generic frowny day.
    I suspect I have GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome). >:-(

    I felt JUST like that when I woke up today! :bug: :ahhh:

    Skeery... :gulp:

    Oh great, now it's thunder and heavy rain outside... (now cancelling upward mood swing)

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    12:30PM and it's already 93F. Supposed to hit 105F today. :ahhh:

    Out of 1/2 and 1/2 but I'm not carrying it home in my pack in this heat! :bug: It'd boil.. :sick:

    Volumetric testing #001!


    ...looks pretty good.

    I was having a horrible time with artifacting where the volumetric intersected with the edge of the sphere when I had shadowcasting turned on - I'm at 64 shadow samples and 100% quality on the volumetric effect, shading rate of .5 - SLOW but it does look half decent. :blank:

  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,809
    edited December 1969

    We are gonna have clear skies until next Friday. Thank god. My back needs a break

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    102F now. :bug: A nice 74F in here, thankfully.

    After this next render I have to let the laptop sit, it's getting pretty warm with all the hard work it's doing. :blank:

    Beer time! :coolsmile:

    *argh* Now about 1/4 of the time I hit "preview" I get the login page!!! This is idiotic! :coolmad:

  • TjohnTjohn Posts: 9,814
    edited August 2013

    Frank0314 said:
    We are gonna have clear skies until next Friday. Thank god. My back needs a break

    I'm thinking of building an ark. Does Home Depot carry gopher wood?
    Now where did I put that cubit stick?
    Post edited by Tjohn on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,809
    edited December 1969

    I've been having to log in more than normal the last couple days.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    Complaints!

    - Out of creamer for coffee
    - Too hot to walk the 3 blocks to the mini-mart and make it back with unspoiled milk
    - Quesidilla is taking a while to cook
    - Volumetrics that don't show abusive artifacting render real slow
    - Starving
    - Shoulders hurt, so does neck, from sitting funny all evening
    - Low on diet Ginger Ale :bug:
    - Need way faster computer :blank:

    Non-complaints:

    - Tons of beer for tonight!
    - Carnitas Fajitas for dinner :coolsmile:
    - Getting the bloody volumetrics to render at all
    - Vanilla cinnamon candle going - room smells lovely :red:
    - Can avoid going out until tomorrow :P
    - I found a bag of microwave popcorn for tonight - I thought I was out! :cheese:

    Urgh, back to black coffee and volumetrics.. reading the manual... listening to Rimsky-Korsakov.. Stravinsky up next!


    ooooo Sheherazad? luvs that one :)

    Rimsky-Korsakov. and Stravinsky, good choices.

    Particularly fond of Rimsky-Korsakov's Russian Easter Festival Overture and Sinfonietta as well as Stravinsky's Firebird and Symphony of Psalms. (our choir in college performed the latter and I flew a sport kite performance to the Infernal Danse from the Firebird).

    Rimsky-Korsakov' was one of the great masters of orchestration who explored the use of different textures, harmonics, and scale modes for his day. In fact Stravinsky draws from and builds on Rimsky-Korsakov's work in the use of the whole tone and octatonic scales so there is a connection between the two.

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Frank0314 said:
    I've been having to log in more than normal the last couple days.

    I blame "bit rot". :bug:

    This is where software starts out OK, then without anyone touching it, it slowly decays, lsoing functionality, becoming more and more buggy, until you have to flat-out replace it. :ahhh:

    A well-known phenomenon among senior engineers...!

    * cranks SRV "Voodoo Child" :coolsmile: (guitar emote)

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    Complaints!

    - Out of creamer for coffee
    - Too hot to walk the 3 blocks to the mini-mart and make it back with unspoiled milk
    - Quesidilla is taking a while to cook
    - Volumetrics that don't show abusive artifacting render real slow
    - Starving
    - Shoulders hurt, so does neck, from sitting funny all evening
    - Low on diet Ginger Ale :bug:
    - Need way faster computer :blank:

    Non-complaints:

    - Tons of beer for tonight!
    - Carnitas Fajitas for dinner :coolsmile:
    - Getting the bloody volumetrics to render at all
    - Vanilla cinnamon candle going - room smells lovely :red:
    - Can avoid going out until tomorrow :P
    - I found a bag of microwave popcorn for tonight - I thought I was out! :cheese:

    Urgh, back to black coffee and volumetrics.. reading the manual... listening to Rimsky-Korsakov.. Stravinsky up next!


    ooooo Sheherazad? luvs that one :)

    Rimsky-Korsakov. and Stravinsky, good choices.

    Particularly fond of Rimsky-Korsakov's Russian Easter Festival Overture and Sinfonietta as well as Stravinsky's Firebird and Symphony of Psalms. (our choir in college performed the latter and I flew a sport kite performance to the Infernal Danse from the Firebird).

    Rimsky-Korsakov' was one of the great masters of orchestration who explored the use of different textures, harmonics, and scale modes for his day. In fact Stravinsky draws from and builds on Rimsky-Korsakov's work in the use of the whole tone and octatonic scales so there is a connection between the two.

    I've found myself listening to some Prokofiev on occasion - some of it is a bit challenging, but it works sometimes.

    I'm just weird. %-P

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 10,591
    edited December 1969

    102F now. :bug: A nice 74F in here, thankfully.

    After this next render I have to let the laptop sit, it's getting pretty warm with all the hard work it's doing. :blank:

    Beer time! :coolsmile:

    *argh* Now about 1/4 of the time I hit "preview" I get the login page!!! This is idiotic! :coolmad:

    Doc, it hurts when I do this.
    Well, don't do that! ;-P

    Dana

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Volumetric Drop #2. 2 spotlights, raytraced shadows, the light on the left is white while the light on the right is red. volume quality at 100%, modest turbulence, shading rate .5 (ouch).

    Laptop gets a rest now. :blank:

    vol_003.jpg
    640 x 512 - 208K
  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    DanaTA said:
    102F now. :bug: A nice 74F in here, thankfully.

    After this next render I have to let the laptop sit, it's getting pretty warm with all the hard work it's doing. :blank:

    Beer time! :coolsmile:

    *argh* Now about 1/4 of the time I hit "preview" I get the login page!!! This is idiotic! :coolmad:

    Doc, it hurts when I do this.
    Well, don't do that! ;-P

    Dana

    *pokes Dana with a rubber trout* %-P

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    Frank0314 said:
    I always hated that. I worked in north Houston and lived in Texas City. In rushour it took 1.5-2 hours to get home. I bought the beer up in Houston cause it was cheaper but warm by the time i get home. Had to throw a few in the freezer before I could enjoy.

    ...chilled beer being warmed and then chilled again is not good for it and in some cases can lead to the "skunk beer" effect. If you know you have a long trip ahead, buy it warm off the shelf (if the store you go to sells it that way) rather than out of the cooler and then chill it after getting home. Also it is better to just put it in the fridge instead of the freezer. A better solution if you want one sooner, would be to use a wine chiller or just a good ol' fashioned ice bucket (the ice against the bottle will do a much better and quicker ob of chilling than the cold air the freezer).
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:
    I always hated that. I worked in north Houston and lived in Texas City. In rushour it took 1.5-2 hours to get home. I bought the beer up in Houston cause it was cheaper but warm by the time i get home. Had to throw a few in the freezer before I could enjoy.

    ...chilled beer being warmed and then chilled again is not good for it and in some cases can lead to the "skunk beer" effect. If you know you have a long trip ahead, buy it warm off the shelf (if the store you go to sells it that way) rather than out of the cooler and then chill it after getting home. Also it is better to just put it in the fridge instead of the freezer. A better solution if you want one sooner, would be to use a wine chiller or just a good ol' fashioned ice bucket (the ice against the bottle will do a much better and quicker ob of chilling than the cold air the freezer).

    salt the ice in the bucket and it will cool the beer even faster

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    An ice cold Dos Equis in a Yellow Rose beer koozy (the waitress gave me one because "You're so nice to me" :red: ). Strted another render, added a second primitive to see what effect it would have, and also to test my leather shaders. I'll ad a cone next and use the SS Goop Shaders on it, should be interesting, then it's a glowing torus. :bug:

    I can't believe I used to be pretty good at this,, gaaah, I'm rustier than the Tin Man! :gulp:

    Practice, practice, practice. Urgh. :blank: More beer! :coolsmile: (beer emote)

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    FROSTED BEER MUGS oh yeah. oh yeah.


    hmm why do they call the Black Dog song Black Dog, there's no dog in the lyrics?

    Bytor and snowdog has a dog in the lyrics.

    I have no idea, but Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groov..! :snake:

    Frosted beer mugs, yessssssssssssss... I wonder if it's too early for a beer?

    Have Boston on now, want a cold beer. Rendering volumetrics is boring as heck. I need a quad-core Haswell i7, it's moved up over saving for my New Orleans vacation. :bug::
    ...nah, this will solve all your rendering needs.

    http://www.cray.com/Products/Computing/XE/XE6m.aspx

    Processor cabinet can have up to 192 16 core CPUs, 96 nVidia 4Tesla X2090 GPUs,. The 4 compute cabinets can have up to 3,072 processor cores per cabinet for a total of over 15,000 cores and over 40,000GB memory with a peak performance of 30.7 Tflops per cabinet.

    Yeah that would put a substantial dent in rendering time...

    ...if only Daz could run on Linux.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    Rareth said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:
    I always hated that. I worked in north Houston and lived in Texas City. In rushour it took 1.5-2 hours to get home. I bought the beer up in Houston cause it was cheaper but warm by the time i get home. Had to throw a few in the freezer before I could enjoy.

    ...chilled beer being warmed and then chilled again is not good for it and in some cases can lead to the "skunk beer" effect. If you know you have a long trip ahead, buy it warm off the shelf (if the store you go to sells it that way) rather than out of the cooler and then chill it after getting home. Also it is better to just put it in the fridge instead of the freezer. A better solution if you want one sooner, would be to use a wine chiller or just a good ol' fashioned ice bucket (the ice against the bottle will do a much better and quicker ob of chilling than the cold air the freezer).

    salt the ice in the bucket and it will cool the beer even faster
    ...just like it lowers the boiling point for water. Forgot about that.

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    FROSTED BEER MUGS oh yeah. oh yeah.


    hmm why do they call the Black Dog song Black Dog, there's no dog in the lyrics?

    Bytor and snowdog has a dog in the lyrics.

    I have no idea, but Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groov..! :snake:

    Frosted beer mugs, yessssssssssssss... I wonder if it's too early for a beer?

    Have Boston on now, want a cold beer. Rendering volumetrics is boring as heck. I need a quad-core Haswell i7, it's moved up over saving for my New Orleans vacation. :bug::


    ...nah, this will solve all your rendering needs.

    http://www.cray.com/Products/Computing/XE/XE6m.aspx

    Processor cabinet can have up to 192 16 core CPUs, 96 nVidia 4Tesla X2090 GPUs,. The 4 compute cabinets can have up to 3,072 processor cores per cabinet for a total of over 15,000 cores and over 40,000GB memory with a peak performance of 30.7 Tflops per cabinet.

    Yeah that would put a substantial dent in rendering time...

    ...if only Daz could run on Linux.

    Slick - I've run FORTRAN on an old Cray XMP for.. one of my past jobs. :red: :red: Fast as hell and cooled with Freon. :ahhh:

    I need to get 3Delight running on a 16-core Paralella board: http://www.adapteva.com/products/eval-kits/parallella/

    ..it runs Linux but I think 3Delight has a Linux version.. but getting the renderer to run on the specialized 16-core coprocessor would be a bi.. erm, issue. I coulkd port LuxRender to it, or maybe get Octane on it. That one board could blow a renderfarm away, but the software effort! :ahhh: :ahhh:

    Of course, I could sell the support software and make a fortune, I guess. Might be worth a try.. the low-end version is only $200, and I do know how to code (heh)! :vampire:

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    FROSTED BEER MUGS oh yeah. oh yeah.


    hmm why do they call the Black Dog song Black Dog, there's no dog in the lyrics?

    Bytor and snowdog has a dog in the lyrics.

    I have no idea, but Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groov..! :snake:

    Frosted beer mugs, yessssssssssssss... I wonder if it's too early for a beer?

    Have Boston on now, want a cold beer. Rendering volumetrics is boring as heck. I need a quad-core Haswell i7, it's moved up over saving for my New Orleans vacation. :bug::


    ...nah, this will solve all your rendering needs.

    http://www.cray.com/Products/Computing/XE/XE6m.aspx

    Processor cabinet can have up to 192 16 core CPUs, 96 nVidia 4Tesla X2090 GPUs,. The 4 compute cabinets can have up to 3,072 processor cores per cabinet for a total of over 15,000 cores and over 40,000GB memory with a peak performance of 30.7 Tflops per cabinet.

    Yeah that would put a substantial dent in rendering time...

    ...if only Daz could run on Linux.

    Slick - I've run FORTRAN on an old Cray XMP for.. one of my past jobs. :red: :red: Fast as hell and cooled with Freon. :ahhh:

    I need to get 3Delight running on a 16-core Paralella board: http://www.adapteva.com/products/eval-kits/parallella/

    ..it runs Linux but I think 3Delight has a Linux version.. but getting the renderer to run on the specialized 16-core coprocessor would be a bi.. erm, issue. I coulkd port LuxRender to it, or maybe get Octane on it. That one board could blow a renderfarm away, but the software effort! :ahhh: :ahhh:

    Of course, I could sell the support software and make a fortune, I guess. Might be worth a try.. the low-end version is only $200, and I do know how to code (heh)! :vampire:

    ...it you built and configured it, I'd consider one. (need to get another box, PS, and network card)

    I have LuxRender as well as Blender Cycles which would both benefit greatly from that. Also the discussion mentions CUDA which would really accelerate the Cycles engine as it already supports unbiased GPU rendering. Unfortunately, the 3Delight unlimited core licence is something like 1,250$ (850$ if you go via the upgrade route from the free duo core licence) ...and support costs extra.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited August 2013

    Sisca said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...bugger, not only has the V4 to G2F clone disappeared from the store, but the G2F Morphs bundle is no longer 51% off.


    ...somedays you just can't win for losing.


    Welcome to my curse.

    Can't help you with the morphs bundle, though it is still 30% off for PC and there was a new 5/25 coupon that went out last night.

    V4 for G2F clone is still in the store though - http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female

    ...didn't get the newsletter again (also checked the Spam folder to make sure it didn't get sent there).

    Just checked my subscription status and I should be getting them.

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 10,591
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    Sisca said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...bugger, not only has the V4 to G2F clone disappeared from the store, but the G2F Morphs bundle is no longer 51% off.


    ...somedays you just can't win for losing.


    Welcome to my curse.

    Can't help you with the morphs bundle, though it is still 30% off for PC and there was a new 5/25 coupon that went out last night.

    V4 for G2F clone is still in the store though - http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female


    ...didn't get the newsletter again (also checked the Spam folder to make sure it didn't get sent there).

    Just checked my subscription status and I should be getting them.

    One year, three months, and still all this crap!

    Dana

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    ...ahh puckernuts, just remembered can't stack coupons so the idea I had won't work. Really wish they hadn't dropped the extra 30% discount on the morphs pack as that is the only component of the purchase I can use the PC coupon on so I'd have to do it as a separate order.

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    FROSTED BEER MUGS oh yeah. oh yeah.


    hmm why do they call the Black Dog song Black Dog, there's no dog in the lyrics?

    Bytor and snowdog has a dog in the lyrics.

    I have no idea, but Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groov..! :snake:

    Frosted beer mugs, yessssssssssssss... I wonder if it's too early for a beer?

    Have Boston on now, want a cold beer. Rendering volumetrics is boring as heck. I need a quad-core Haswell i7, it's moved up over saving for my New Orleans vacation. :bug::


    ...nah, this will solve all your rendering needs.

    http://www.cray.com/Products/Computing/XE/XE6m.aspx

    Processor cabinet can have up to 192 16 core CPUs, 96 nVidia 4Tesla X2090 GPUs,. The 4 compute cabinets can have up to 3,072 processor cores per cabinet for a total of over 15,000 cores and over 40,000GB memory with a peak performance of 30.7 Tflops per cabinet.

    Yeah that would put a substantial dent in rendering time...

    ...if only Daz could run on Linux.

    Slick - I've run FORTRAN on an old Cray XMP for.. one of my past jobs. :red: :red: Fast as hell and cooled with Freon. :ahhh:

    I need to get 3Delight running on a 16-core Paralella board: http://www.adapteva.com/products/eval-kits/parallella/

    ..it runs Linux but I think 3Delight has a Linux version.. but getting the renderer to run on the specialized 16-core coprocessor would be a bi.. erm, issue. I coulkd port LuxRender to it, or maybe get Octane on it. That one board could blow a renderfarm away, but the software effort! :ahhh: :ahhh:

    Of course, I could sell the support software and make a fortune, I guess. Might be worth a try.. the low-end version is only $200, and I do know how to code (heh)! :vampire:

    ...it you built and configured it, I'd consider one. (need to get another box, PS, and network card)

    I have LuxRender as well as Blender Cycles which would both benefit greatly from that. Also the discussion mentions CUDA which would really accelerate the Cycles engine as it already supports unbiased GPU rendering. Unfortunately, the 3Delight unlimited core licence is something like 1,250$ (850$ if you go via the upgrade route from the free duo core licence) ...and support costs extra.

    My biggest issue is that getting anything running on that board will be a multi-year project.. synchronizing thread access to shared RAM resources is going to be problematic, although I could do copy-on-access for smaller references with enough RAM, or break a single frame into 16 core-sized bits.. many possible approaches.

    It's cheap - $200 for the 16 core version - and the sw dev tools are free. This wheezy i5 box would be perfect for it,

    I can't believe I'm even thinking about this. :-S

  • Miss Bad WolfMiss Bad Wolf Posts: 18,594
    edited December 1969

    I have a headache. Not sure why.

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Possibly last volumetric drop of the night. 2 prims.. sphere shaded with marble shader, the cylinder in black leather, 2 volumetric lights, etc. etc. :blank: 35 min render time.

    vol_004.jpg
    640 x 512 - 207K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 28,447
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    FROSTED BEER MUGS oh yeah. oh yeah.


    hmm why do they call the Black Dog song Black Dog, there's no dog in the lyrics?

    Bytor and snowdog has a dog in the lyrics.

    I have no idea, but Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groov..! :snake:

    Frosted beer mugs, yessssssssssssss... I wonder if it's too early for a beer?

    Have Boston on now, want a cold beer. Rendering volumetrics is boring as heck. I need a quad-core Haswell i7, it's moved up over saving for my New Orleans vacation. :bug::


    ...nah, this will solve all your rendering needs.

    http://www.cray.com/Products/Computing/XE/XE6m.aspx

    Processor cabinet can have up to 192 16 core CPUs, 96 nVidia 4Tesla X2090 GPUs,. The 4 compute cabinets can have up to 3,072 processor cores per cabinet for a total of over 15,000 cores and over 40,000GB memory with a peak performance of 30.7 Tflops per cabinet.

    Yeah that would put a substantial dent in rendering time...

    ...if only Daz could run on Linux.

    Slick - I've run FORTRAN on an old Cray XMP for.. one of my past jobs. :red: :red: Fast as hell and cooled with Freon. :ahhh:

    I need to get 3Delight running on a 16-core Paralella board: http://www.adapteva.com/products/eval-kits/parallella/

    ..it runs Linux but I think 3Delight has a Linux version.. but getting the renderer to run on the specialized 16-core coprocessor would be a bi.. erm, issue. I coulkd port LuxRender to it, or maybe get Octane on it. That one board could blow a renderfarm away, but the software effort! :ahhh: :ahhh:

    Of course, I could sell the support software and make a fortune, I guess. Might be worth a try.. the low-end version is only $200, and I do know how to code (heh)! :vampire:

    ...it you built and configured it, I'd consider one. (need to get another box, PS, and network card)

    I have LuxRender as well as Blender Cycles which would both benefit greatly from that. Also the discussion mentions CUDA which would really accelerate the Cycles engine as it already supports unbiased GPU rendering. Unfortunately, the 3Delight unlimited core licence is something like 1,250$ (850$ if you go via the upgrade route from the free duo core licence) ...and support costs extra.

    My biggest issue is that getting anything running on that board will be a multi-year project.. synchronizing thread access to shared RAM resources is going to be problematic, although I could do copy-on-access for smaller references with enough RAM, or break a single frame into 16 core-sized bits.. many possible approaches.

    It's cheap - $200 for the 16 core version - and the sw dev tools are free. This wheezy i5 box would be perfect for it,

    I can't believe I'm even thinking about this. :-S

    ...ahh, but you have the expertise I am lacking. I can put these things together and get them running, but when it comes to configuration coding I'm like a caveman who was just handed a sliderule.

  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    FROSTED BEER MUGS oh yeah. oh yeah.


    hmm why do they call the Black Dog song Black Dog, there's no dog in the lyrics?

    Bytor and snowdog has a dog in the lyrics.

    I have no idea, but Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groov..! :snake:

    Frosted beer mugs, yessssssssssssss... I wonder if it's too early for a beer?

    Have Boston on now, want a cold beer. Rendering volumetrics is boring as heck. I need a quad-core Haswell i7, it's moved up over saving for my New Orleans vacation. :bug::


    ...nah, this will solve all your rendering needs.

    http://www.cray.com/Products/Computing/XE/XE6m.aspx

    Processor cabinet can have up to 192 16 core CPUs, 96 nVidia 4Tesla X2090 GPUs,. The 4 compute cabinets can have up to 3,072 processor cores per cabinet for a total of over 15,000 cores and over 40,000GB memory with a peak performance of 30.7 Tflops per cabinet.

    Yeah that would put a substantial dent in rendering time...

    ...if only Daz could run on Linux.

    Slick - I've run FORTRAN on an old Cray XMP for.. one of my past jobs. :red: :red: Fast as hell and cooled with Freon. :ahhh:

    I need to get 3Delight running on a 16-core Paralella board: http://www.adapteva.com/products/eval-kits/parallella/

    ..it runs Linux but I think 3Delight has a Linux version.. but getting the renderer to run on the specialized 16-core coprocessor would be a bi.. erm, issue. I coulkd port LuxRender to it, or maybe get Octane on it. That one board could blow a renderfarm away, but the software effort! :ahhh: :ahhh:

    Of course, I could sell the support software and make a fortune, I guess. Might be worth a try.. the low-end version is only $200, and I do know how to code (heh)! :vampire:


    ...it you built and configured it, I'd consider one. (need to get another box, PS, and network card)

    I have LuxRender as well as Blender Cycles which would both benefit greatly from that. Also the discussion mentions CUDA which would really accelerate the Cycles engine as it already supports unbiased GPU rendering. Unfortunately, the 3Delight unlimited core licence is something like 1,250$ (850$ if you go via the upgrade route from the free duo core licence) ...and support costs extra.

    My biggest issue is that getting anything running on that board will be a multi-year project.. synchronizing thread access to shared RAM resources is going to be problematic, although I could do copy-on-access for smaller references with enough RAM, or break a single frame into 16 core-sized bits.. many possible approaches.

    It's cheap - $200 for the 16 core version - and the sw dev tools are free. This wheezy i5 box would be perfect for it,

    I can't believe I'm even thinking about this. :-S

    ...ahh, but you have the expertise I am lacking. I can put these things together and get them running, but when it comes to configuration coding I'm like a caveman who was just handed a sliderule.

    I have to thank my lack of a life.. since Ihave no life I have lots of time to spend on this stuff. :blank:

    Argh, I just shoved a floruscent torus into the scene! I'll be a this all nifght! (cry cry)

This discussion has been closed.