edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    Rareth said:
    7thStone said:
    And to think I was worried about the local mountain lion. :roll:

It's the local squirrel population I should really be worried about! :ahhh:

Great OOGLY BOOGLY!!! This is like the forest nightmare version of the ocean terror "Jaws" or the outback horror of "Razorback"!

I'll never look at a cute, fluffy, adorable, and devious squirrel in the same way again!

Deer are just as bad...

:vampire:

Umbrella Corporation haz much to answer for, and not only Raccoon City ;)

Umbrella Corporation seems to be a legitimate business. I wonder if they paid royalties for use of the symbology.

DanaRead Close, its the Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group. A almost way to do it legal, they could still get slapped with a Court order to Drop the Name and Logo.

They've been around since 2007, and it says they are federally trademarked. Hmmm...

Dana

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    They've been around since 2007, and it says they are federally trademarked. Hmmm...

Dana

It's still just a Variation not the Standard name. As was my point to start with. They okay by me.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 1969

...ugh, 20:00 hrs and somebody decided it's a good time to use a mini backhoe (with one of those annoying backup signals) outside my place.

• edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...ugh, 20:00 hrs and somebody decided it's a good time to use a mini backhoe (with one of those annoying backup signals) outside my place.

I've been listening to the backup lights and the neighbor cut concrete with one of those diamond blade saws here.

Could be worse I suppose. I could be listening to a leaf blower! :shut:

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited August 2013

Something I just realized...

A friend of mine who lives in England recently pointed out that a lot of DAZ users in the Forums aren't US are from the UK and then it struck me... The Admins... The Vendors... A lot of common members... Goddamn... He's right... :ohh:

So, what brings all you from the Queen's Land over to this bloody place? :)

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i think Craig Ferguson is a big dr who fan. whovian he had Karin Gillan on as a guest.

edited December 1969

7thStone said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I've been listening to the backup lights and the neighbor cut concrete with one of those diamond blade saws here.

...if someone cranked one of those up late in the evening, I'd definitely have a few choice words with them. take the infernal device from their hands, then hand them a rake, a push broom, and lawn debris sack.

That has to be one of the most useless and annoying inventions ever perpetrated on society., right up there with car alarms.

edited December 1969

a 5/25 coupie email out :)

...where? Didn't see one.
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    edited December 1969

Why do you think car alarms are useless? I agree that they are sometimes, but not always.

Dana

edited August 2013

...well, most of the time they are set way too sensitive.

Car thieves are savvy, they know how to bypass these things. They also know people for the most part pay little attention to them as most often it is a false alarm which only annoys the neighbourhood when set off by something like a loud noise (like a motorcycle or truck going by) or a cat jumping on the bonnet. Heck, I've even seen cars being driven down the street with the alarm going off. and nobody seems to care.

Better to get one of the steering wheel lock devices. Quiet and actually quite effective.

Of course there's also this solution: ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVxHPJ0hM

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

....OK finally got the pic posted to the challenge. Those with PC access are the only ones who can view it for now as per the rules I cannot post it anywhere else until the contest is over (should be mid month).

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Why do you think car alarms are useless? I agree that they are sometimes, but not always.

Dana

I've crossed many cars during work, fully alarmed that were completely vandalized/broken into. Not one had its alarm go off. Yet I get into my own car and accidentally lock it from inside with the lock button on my key or pop the trunk without unlocking the car doors and my alarm goes off every time! - It seems to me alarms are pretty much only programed to go off if you attempt to get in via the trunk (or steal from it) or hot-wire it. Every alarmed car I have seen broken into have been accessed via breaking the windows then unlocking it from the inside.

To me, the alarm is useless. except for instances where someone actually wants to steal the vehicle.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    edited December 1969

Well, if people don't pay attention to them, yes, they're useless. But if they do, at the least the owner will know that the car has been compromised. At least you can protect it from adverse weather, and you have a better chance of seeing the thief at least. My alarm does not go off if I open the trunk...of course, that's using the remote. But I always use the remote. Less wear on the key that way, and if I'm carrying things it makes it much easier on me. I don't know if it's a federal law or only in Massachusetts, but alarms here are not allowed to just sound and keep going for hours. They must be timed and shut off after a certain amount of time, I believe it's 3 minutes. And many of them these days have kill switches that disable the transmission and engine starter. My friend had one that showed messages on the remote...he could tell what the alarm was, which door or window was compromised. etc. That system was a bit expensive, though. They may not stop everyone, but they will scare off punks. Of course, it would be cool if we could have a system like Batman's car...the armour going up all around. But I don't think it would be good to have it explode if it were broken into. I think the courts would have something to say about that. :smirk:

Dana

edited August 2013

...the kill switch is definitely a better solution for both neighbours and the vehicle's owner.

With today's trend towards everything controled through a smartphone the alarm could be "silent," only alerting the owner who could then trigger the ignition cutoff.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Complaint! Two complaints!

Orcus the Cat kicked me off the bed last night by suddenly developing an incessant desire to knead my butt. With claws out.

Later, he hurked to the carpet (not a problem, as I was ready with a bit of paper), but a telemarketer tried to stop me from saving the carpet...

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Jaderail said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    Rareth said:
    7thStone said:
    And to think I was worried about the local mountain lion. :roll:

It's the local squirrel population I should really be worried about! :ahhh:

Great OOGLY BOOGLY!!! This is like the forest nightmare version of the ocean terror "Jaws" or the outback horror of "Razorback"!

I'll never look at a cute, fluffy, adorable, and devious squirrel in the same way again!

Deer are just as bad...

:vampire:

Umbrella Corporation haz much to answer for, and not only Raccoon City ;)

Umbrella Corporation seems to be a legitimate business. I wonder if they paid royalties for use of the symbology.

DanaRead Close, its the Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group. A almost way to do it legal, they could still get slapped with a Court order to Drop the Name and Logo.

Dana

I for one welcome our new mutant hamster overlords :lol:

o.png
    111 x 63 - 16K
    edited December 1969

It is bed time again and I am hungry.

I had nice Salmon for lunch left over from last night :)

edited December 1969

fell off the candy bandwagon. can't do it.

saw whoppers milk balls in the store. top shelf - had to work for it.

a 5/25 coupie email out :)

Wuz only a rest stop :)

edited December 1969

Something I just realized...

A friend of mine who lives in England recently pointed out that a lot of DAZ users in the Forums aren't US are from the UK and then it struck me... The Admins... The Vendors... A lot of common members... Goddamn... He's right... :ohh:

So, what brings all you from the Queen's Land over to this bloody place? :)

Australia here, :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    7thStone said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...if someone cranked one of those up late in the evening, I'd definitely have a few choice words with them. take the infernal device from their hands, then hand them a rake, a push broom, and lawn debris sack.

That has to be one of the most useless and annoying inventions ever perpetrated on society., right up there with car alarms.

Car alarms like wild animals shrieking and screaming in the night in my 'hood. Oh noes, mebbe the umbrella corporation....

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Well, if people don't pay attention to them, yes, they're useless. But if they do, at the least the owner will know that the car has been compromised. At least you can protect it from adverse weather, and you have a better chance of seeing the thief at least. My alarm does not go off if I open the trunk...of course, that's using the remote. But I always use the remote. Less wear on the key that way, and if I'm carrying things it makes it much easier on me. I don't know if it's a federal law or only in Massachusetts, but alarms here are not allowed to just sound and keep going for hours. They must be timed and shut off after a certain amount of time, I believe it's 3 minutes. And many of them these days have kill switches that disable the transmission and engine starter. My friend had one that showed messages on the remote...he could tell what the alarm was, which door or window was compromised. etc. That system was a bit expensive, though. They may not stop everyone, but they will scare off punks. Of course, it would be cool if we could have a system like Batman's car...the armour going up all around. But I don't think it would be good to have it explode if it were broken into. I think the courts would have something to say about that. :smirk:

Dana

You would at least call a vet if an animal shrieked like a car :lol:

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Complaint! Two complaints!

Orcus the Cat kicked me off the bed last night by suddenly developing an incessant desire to knead my butt. With claws out.

Later, he hurked to the carpet (not a problem, as I was ready with a bit of paper), but a telemarketer tried to stop me from saving the carpet...

Hopefully Orcus will throw up on a telemarketer next :)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited August 2013

ps1borg said:

I literally told the telemarketer "My cat is vomiting, I gotta go!"

Edited to add: and about an hour and half later, a different telemarketer calls, refuses to take "no" and tries to make me switch electric companies, and I'm one of those "too polite for their own good" when it comes to hanging up, so I blow an internal fuse once the call is over and finally go and call the automated Do Not Call service to get my phone number put on it.

Post edited by Skiriki on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,730
    edited December 1969

Good morning! It is a nice Thursday morning.

edited December 1969

Thursday was good, I had a good time, you will enjoy it :)

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    ps1borg said:

I literally told the telemarketer "My cat is vomiting, I gotta go!"

Edited to add: and about an hour and half later, a different telemarketer calls, refuses to take "no" and tries to make me switch electric companies, and I'm one of those "too polite for their own good" when it comes to hanging up, so I blow an internal fuse once the call is over and finally go and call the automated Do Not Call service to get my phone number put on it.

I hope yours works better than the one here in the US. We're on it for both our home phone and our cell phones but we still get several every week.

There are loopholes - if you've ever done business with the company then they can call you as a "current customer" for example. There are also shady companies that just ignore it knowing that since there is no easy way to report them they'll probably get away with it. The fines are also small enough that for many it's worth the risk, a couple of successful calls more than pays for the fine for the one person that was able to actually report them.

My wife does the whole we don't accept solicitations over the phone, please take us off your list spiel. Me, I don't bother to answer if I don't recognize the number and if I forget to look and answer by accident I just hangup as soon as I realize what it is.

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

Thank you. :D

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

Hey! Shouldn't that have a spoiler warning on it?

And if it's not good we all know who to blame now ;)

edited December 1969

I am trying to figure out something but I am keep not figuring it out. I feel like I keep failing.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    ps1borg said:

Hey! Shouldn't that have a spoiler warning on it?

And if it's not good we all know who to blame now ;)

We're getting a recycled Thursday? that's it I'm calling my Congressman!!

This discussion has been closed.