HDRI's I had a weird idea.

AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
edited July 2018 in The Commons

I dont know enough about how HDRI 20k X 10K images are made in the real world but I was wondering if anyone has ever figured out how to make them for a 3D scene in Daz? Cause indoor scenes can take a super long time to render, where as a skydome HDRI image only takes about 20 minutes to render and you get much better lighting results. So my idea was to create HDRI images of Indoor scenes and then save that as a new Skydome. Is this possible?

Post edited by Angel on

Comments

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

You mean like this?

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-iray-hdr-interiors

I'm curious about the difference between HDRI as environment map vs skydome. I always assumed the latter was more for 3DL, and the former (env map) seems quite fast to me. But if there's an advantage to skydome, I'm all ears.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754

Dumor has done this with an apocalyptic HDRI set  https://www.daz3d.com/iray-hdri-apocalyptic-plant-indoors-set-2

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited July 2018

HDRI as environment map vs skydome.

HDRI = High Dynamic Range Image (More colors and Lighting Data)

Enviorment Map is just the RGB color with no other data. (Results in a flat image more often then not)

Skydome is a recreation of the sun's true physical light.

Post edited by Angel on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Interesting! I didn't realize skydome had such advantages over env map in Iray!

I'll have to experiment. Thanks for the info.

Toonces said:

Interesting! I didn't realize skydome had such advantages over env map in Iray!

I'll have to experiment. Thanks for the info.

Not a problem. =)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

I dont know enough about how HDRI 20k X 10K images are made in the real world but I was wondering if anyone has ever figured out how to make them for a 3D scene in Daz? Cause indoor scenes can take a super long time to render, where as a skydome HDRI image only takes about 20 minutes to render and you get much better lighting results. So my idea was to create HDRI images of Indoor scenes and then save that as a new Skydome. Is this possible?

It's possible, Dumor3d has done it and so has DimensionTheory, but it's very difficult and it takes an extremely good camera and some expensive stitching software.  My outdoor ones for my sky set were done by painting from photos on a sphere in Blender and then rendering to HDRI from the program.  They're not true high dynamic range.

edited July 2018

It's possible, Dumor3d has done it and so has DimensionTheory, but it's very difficult and it takes an extremely good camera and some expensive stitching software.  My outdoor ones for my sky set were done by painting from photos on a sphere in Blender and then rendering to HDRI from the program.  They're not true high dynamic range.

Ok, Thank you.

Anyone willing to test my crude attempt at making an HDRI image?

I just want to make sure I am doing this proper.

Post edited by Angel on

I'll upload a Zip in a bit. After breakfast and let you guys test this.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

I'll upload a Zip in a bit. After breakfast and let you guys test this.

Yes Angel, I'd been willing to test it

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

Do you mean rendering an equirectangular image in DS? As that can be done with the camera setting; Lens - Lens Distortion Type - Spherical. Haven't really used it myself (just a test render) as I tend to make my 'Skydome' maps in Vue.... but below the test result

lat-long-test.png
    600 x 300 - 233K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,836

Dreamlight was already doing it for his moviemaker sky spheres years ago

I rendered 360 panoramas in Carrara, Bryce and even Vue Pioneer for UberEnvironment spheres back in those days too.

only now with a spherical lens and iray everyone can finaly  do it in DAZ studio itself.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

HDRI is not about the resolution nearly as much as the dynamic range (of lighting). If one is going to fake the lighting via software, you might as well just use thr lighting in the render. IMO if one doesn’t understand lighting well enough to make a well lit render, one won’t be more successful making a HDRI.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

It should work, just find out how to fake a HDRI inside photoshop with multiple expsosure and light info. I know Photoshop has a way to composite photos of different exposures to create beautiful photos where a sigle shot of something has one part too bright or too dark. I would search Youtube "how to create fake HDRI in Photoshop", then render spherical for image in Iray and save as pmd not jpg (jpg destroys image data in compression). Create HDRI use in daz studio and render with you new custom HDRI. You could be able to create your own custom backgrounds.

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 507

I'm really curious for this and bought the Dreamlight video how to create HDRIs but haven't looked into it yet.

• I know you're got toconvert it to the 32bit fomat then save it out as a HDR but there was a step to set the color values above 1 to 4-5 but I can't remember how he did it. I'm having a look at the tutorial now !

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited July 2018

I had a quick go at the Deamlight tutorial wasn't too bad the BG is a 360 render in Daz Studio and just converted it to 32bit in photoshop and saved out as a hdr I tried exr but that looked the same and was bigger. There are 4 lights over head and I can see the 4 shadows on the ground but going to have to play with the exposure a bit to get it right. These are my first Hdr's done with DS

hdrtest01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 501K
    hdrtest02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 545K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Wow, those are really good!  And none of what you created was done in Photoshop?  That sounds great if that's the case.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

If you make a HDRI using Daz assets, are you allowed to sell that or give it away? 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I really like ams winter hdri here https://www.daz3d.com/winter-hdris

the set seems made of 3d assets and honestly it looks more visually similar with 3d characters than a set made of photos. Excellent hdri by the way.

would love a stonemason set done similarly.

edited July 2018

I'm not sure the real rule, but... if I had to guess. I would say it would be ok, if permission is granted by the original artist and they get partial credit, and/or a percentage of the payment.

I dont think giving it away for free is fair use though.

Post edited by Angel on
    edited July 2018

I see assets like backgrounds made from renders  Daz store assets sold online at multiple venues and I think that is allowable. Rendo has a number of background sets featuring store models that have been rendered  and adobe stock does too. Renders as far as I understand are sellable.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited July 2018

It is possible that that is the case. Considering the power you need to create a HDRI. I was doing a 20kx10k Last night and even with my 1080Ti even after an hour it was still really really grainy. It wasnt even 1% Converged. And I know, to sell a proper HDRI you'd need 100% Convertion Ratio.

Post edited by Angel on

It’s allowable. We are allowed to sell images featuring Daz assets. A search for the word science fiction at adobe stock will show renders for sale featuring Daz store content as well as people using renders for book covers.

I suppose. Considering, when you buy something... It's yours... Whats the point of a 3D Asset if the only thing you're allowed to do with it is sit there and admire it.

It's kind of like buying a hammer but your not allowed to build a house with it.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

It ins't about converting it to 32bit; an 8bit image converted to 32bit, only has the data of an 8 bit image

nicstt said:

It ins't about converting it to 32bit; an 8bit image converted to 32bit, only has the data of an 8 bit image

Those poses a new question. Is it possible to save a render in 32-Bit format?

edited July 2018

I've always been a little underwhelmed with the fact that you can only save as JPG or PNG by default... Seems a bit generic if you ask me.

Post edited by Angel on

Hmm scratch that. .BMP may be the answer I was looking for. Can .BMP convert to 32?

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550

You can use canvases for 32-bit. Sadly I don’t remember now how it’s done.

• The Canvasses tab of the Advanced tab of Render Settings will allow you to add canvasses.