My render is black

Ok I am trying to do more with lighting but now my render turns black and i dont know why.

I have enverionment mode on scene only (if i put it on scene and dome i do get a render). I only want to use the lighting i placed.

I have a ring light on the top back of her right shoulder and a softbox on front of her left shoulder. (see screenshot)

Tone mapping i have expoure value at 12  and shutter speed 64 the white point is 0.72 0.80 1.00

burn highlights and crush blacks at 0

On the camera i have no special settings except headlamp mode is off. But when i render using perspective mode i get the same result.

When i go to the lights and camera tab and i click on teh light bulb i see a change, telling me there is lighting.

Why do i get black renders (Not dark but pitch black). 

Screenshot_1.jpg
1231 x 914 - 233K

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

moved the cam into a wall?

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Sometimes I have to move the camera a smidge when this happens. I don’t know why but it goes away then.

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431
    edited July 2018
    Linwelly said:

moved the cam into a wall?

There are no walls

Sometimes I have to move the camera a smidge when this happens. I don’t know why but it goes away then.

I will try but even in perspective mode i get black renders. (EDIT: that did not help)

Post edited by Mescalino on
  • missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918

Renders turn out black if you've used 3DL lights in an Iray scene, so no idea if this is the case, but may be worth a look.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

In Iray you have to set light intensies to very high numbers. I often have them set in the hundreds of thousands. The default settings for an Iray light don't even show up in a render, which seems very silly to me.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325

In Iray you have to set light intensies to very high numbers. I often have them set in the hundreds of thousands. The default settings for an Iray light don't even show up in a render, which seems very silly to me.

Yeah.  The Iray default luminance setting is measured in candelas/sqare meter.  A "candela" is the SI unit of luminous intensity, which (in theory) is roughly equivalent to a single candle, so the basic idea is that a cd/m^2 would be about the amount of light that a candle would emit over an area of 1 square meter. But there is some "math crunching" in the Iray engine that applies that number to the shader's surface. By this, I mean that Iray emitters are mesh objects with a shader applied, and changing the mesh size will obviously change the brightness. (Even photometric Iray lights act this way -- you can actually change the shape/size of the emitter in them.) Ergo...

You need really big numbers if you leave the Luminance unit as cd/m^2. 

If you change the dropdown for Luminance Units to kcd/m^2, you can shave 3 zeros off of your number, making it feel slightly less mammoth.  Or, if you think in "lightbulbs" you can change the setting to Watts. Since watts are a measure of power (not light emission), Iray has to do one more calculation to determine how much energy is actually converted to light for that emitter.  Good news is that Iray defaults to a luminous efficacy of 15, which is about what a standard filament lightbulb emits. (My advice is to pick one unit, get used to it, and then use that scale for pretty much everything!)

What are the numbers and units for your Luminance and Luminance Units?

• Show not TellShow not Tell Posts: 206
    edited July 2018

this happened to me once after watching a tutorial on youtube.

the problem was the tutorial told me to change the environment settings in render, once i changed it back to "dome and scene" i stopped getting a black render

Post edited by Show not Tell on

Thanks for all the info. When i get home from work i will look up the requirerd information and check on some things suggested here.

ps.
    Is there a quick way where i can see if the light i use is 3DL or IRay?

• Mescalino said:

Thanks for all the info. When i get home from work i will look up the requirerd information and check on some things suggested here.

ps.
    Is there a quick way where i can see if the light i use is 3DL or IRay?

if you have default settings on the right tabs you will see "lights". you can check or research all the lights from there

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Iray lights have "Photometrics" in the parameter tab set to "on".

Also, please check if you accidently unselected your video card, or your CPU (depending on what you are using) in the Advanced Render Setting tab.

Hmm i think im using bad lighting.... See screenshot.

Screenshot_2.jpg
    1154 x 977 - 193K
    edited July 2018

The headlamp blocker is not the problem, the Lux Light is.

The headlamp blocker just makes sure your camera doesn't use its headlight.

Are you by chance using these lights?

If yes, there's your problem - these lights are for the LuxRender engine, and will not work in Iray or 3Delight.

luxlights.JPG
    534 x 319 - 27K
    luxlights2.JPG
    498 x 463 - 38K
    luxlights3.JPG
    539 x 669 - 44K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550

Actually, that set does render in 3Delight, and it has all the parameters set up in the surfaces tab if you port your scene over to LuxRender through the Luxus plug-in. It won't do a darn thing in Iray though, no.

Hmm i think im using bad lighting.... See screenshot.

BeeMKay said:

The headlamp blocker is not the problem, the Lux Light is.

The headlamp blocker just makes sure your camera doesn't use its headlight.

Are you by chance using these lights?

If yes, there's your problem - these lights are for the LuxRender engine, and will not work in Iray or 3Delight.

Yes, and so there is my problem. I will change to different lighting. Thanks BeeMkay

Actually, that set does render in 3Delight, and it has all the parameters set up in the surfaces tab if you port your scene over to LuxRender through the Luxus plug-in. It won't do a darn thing in Iray though, no.

Oh, I wasn't aware that the LuxLights also work in 3DL, I never tried to use them with that render engine.

Mescalino said:

Yes, and so there is my problem. I will change to different lighting. Thanks BeeMkay

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the hange of light will really help. Otherwise, it's back to finding the solution again. :-)

edited July 2018
    BeeMKay said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the hange of light will really help. Otherwise, it's back to finding the solution again. :-)

Yep it worked see the result below. (did some postwork)

Maria_1440.png
    1440 x 1440 - 3M
    Post edited by Mescalino on

Yay! laugh

That's a very good image.

thank you im really pleased with it myself