Proportion size standards

**NOT complaining just making an observation as these are all great products and I recommend them!

In another thread, there was dusscussion about the proprtion size of a child vs an adult. But take a look at these figures.

From left to right we have Dorothy, SC lucy, SC lauren, Elder, and Victoria 8. I can't begin to phantom age, heights, or other proportions. I mean how old is Victoria 8 supposed to be? Mid 20's early 30's? The average height of a US female is 5'5", that would make the other characters about 5 foot to 4"5" or shorter. Elder's head is enormous compared to the others, I mean it is bigger than SC Lauren's mid-section.Too bad there isn't some universal standards. Take a look at these and tell me your best guesses.

figures.JPG
1022 x 581 - 74K

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436

Victoria 8 (and 7, 6, and 4) is about the same height as a typical adult male. This makes her unusually tall for a woman, and throws off the viewer's perception of how tall other figures are.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2018

Well the 3 products you can get Victoria 8 in claim that she is two different heights but her other measurements are the same although if her height was really different as claimed I can say that Measure Metrics would change some of the other measurements too to keep the ratios the same..

Victoria 8 Pro Bundle:

Victoria 8 measurements courtesy of Measure Metrics for DAZ Studio:

• Height - 5'11" (180 cm)
    • Bust Circumference - 37" (94 cm)
    • Waist Circumference - 26" (66 cm)
    • Low Hip Circumference - 38" (97 cm)

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-8-pro-bundle

+++

Victoria 8 Starter Bundle:

• Height - 5'11" (180 cm)

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-8-starter-bundle

+++

Victoria 8 

• Height - 6'0" (183 cm)

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-8

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Whenever I use females, I usually lower the height. 6 feet tall? That's a bit much. I don't use Victoria or Michael much because they're so Barbie Doll-ish (too perfect). I'd rather have models that look like regular people - short, tubby, love handles, 3rd chin etc. The best thing to do is find (or make) a measuring stick in to use in DS so you can proportion your characters the way you like.

Good observation, though. I'm glad I'm not the only one bugged by this.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited July 2018

Heads of adults should all be consistent in size (no matter how thin, petite or short/tall the figure is). The only time head size of the adults should change is if the figure is heavy and the weight is in the face. Young characters have a brain case (cranium) close in size to an adult (at least from the age of 7 or 8) and should reflect that. While children have smoother, more non-distinct features, they also don't have full sized and sharply delineated adult jawlines. Would be nice if there was a way to shorten the face. I guess it can be mostly accomplished with existing morphs tho. Children also tend to have a little more subcutaneous fat. Their bellies are rounder and limbs can look "stubby" (couldn't think of a better word....lol). The stubbiness fades as the child gets toward their teens where some children can even look very thin in the limbs, but even then waistlines remain close in width to the size of the hips until after puberty. Girls look more adult at a younger age than boys do generally.

I'm sure I missed some stuff. I'm also sure all of this is gonna go in one ear and out the other of any PA or anyone at Daz...lol. If the stuff is selling, I can't see them changing a thing. It'll be on us to change it if it bothers us, either by having to do the work ourselves or voting with our wallets. I mean, we're lucky if we even get a child/pre-teen/teen AT ALL anymore (which makes me sad). Obviously any fantasy figures are excluded from all that. ;)

But for adults, the size of the head has to be consistent with other figures. Pick one to go by. I have no idea which one. LOL. I'm so used to changing things that look wrong to me that I don't even think about it anymore. But it does grate against my nerves when I see it. LOL.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Daz characters are about 6 inches taller than average US/European sizes. G8F and G8M base chars are a little bit shorter than V8/M8, but still tall.

Remember if you want to reduce a characters height it is best to use the height slider that comes in the standard body morphs product rather than just scaling down. The height slider should keep proportions correct. For example shorter people have smaller legs, but head size will typically be the same as taller people.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    AllenArt said:

Heads of adults should all be consistent in size (no matter how thin, petite or short/tall the figure is). The only time head size of the adults should change is if the figure is heavy and the weight is in the face. Young characters have a brain case (cranium) close in size to an adult (at least from the age of 7 or 8) and should reflect that. While children have smoother, more non-distinct features, they also don't have full sized and sharply delineated adult jawlines. Would be nice if there was a way to shorten the face. I guess it can be mostly accomplished with existing morphs tho. Children also tend to have a little more subcutaneous fat. Their bellies are rounder and limbs can look "stubby" (couldn't think of a better word....lol). The stubbiness fades as the child gets toward their teens where some children can even look very thin in the limbs, but even then waistlines remain close in width to the size of the hips until after puberty. Girls look more adult at a younger age than boys do generally.

I'm sure I missed some stuff. I'm also sure all of this is gonna go in one ear and out the other of any PA or anyone at Daz...lol. If the stuff is selling, I can't see them changing a thing. It'll be on us to change it if it bothers us, either by having to do the work ourselves or voting with our wallets. I mean, we're lucky if we even get a child/pre-teen/teen AT ALL anymore (which makes me sad).

Laurie

Well, I have only bought one youngster since the K4 days. Zev0's Growing Up does the job admirably for the few times I need little ones in a family scene. Same with the older folk - Zev0's aging morphs do a fantastic job of ageing any character. However, I have bought a few more pre-configured older characters. Edie with her Grandmother character are the only commercial G8 figures I've bought so far. I do agree that some effort should be made to get the proportions right, however.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited July 2018
    marble said:
    AllenArt said:

I'm sure I missed some stuff. I'm also sure all of this is gonna go in one ear and out the other of any PA or anyone at Daz...lol. If the stuff is selling, I can't see them changing a thing. It'll be on us to change it if it bothers us, either by having to do the work ourselves or voting with our wallets. I mean, we're lucky if we even get a child/pre-teen/teen AT ALL anymore (which makes me sad).

Laurie

Well, I have only bought one youngster since the K4 days. Zev0's Growing Up does the job admirably for the few times I need little ones in a family scene. Same with the older folk - Zev0's aging morphs do a fantastic job of ageing any character. However, I have bought a few more pre-configured older characters. Edie with her Grandmother character are the only commercial G8 figures I've bought so far. I do agree that some effort should be made to get the proportions right, however.

Agreed...Zevo's Growing Up and Aging Morphs are great. As for premade characters tho....hmmmm...some miss more than hit the mark for me ;). I do tend to like 3DU's more realistic kids and Deepsea's Lola's Son for G3 was pretty awesome ;). I do miss having littler kids tho. I used to use Matt and Maddie quite a bit back in the day.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    Kitsumo said:

Whenever I use females, I usually lower the height. 6 feet tall? That's a bit much. I don't use Victoria or Michael much because they're so Barbie Doll-ish (too perfect). I'd rather have models that look like regular people - short, tubby, love handles, 3rd chin etc. The best thing to do is find (or make) a measuring stick in to use in DS so you can proportion your characters the way you like.

Good observation, though. I'm glad I'm not the only one bugged by this.

...and this is why I spend more on morph and shaping merchant resources rather than pre-made characters.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

For DAZ characters, one should probably restrict "average height" measurement research to the 20-30 year old category, to make sure current generation humans are the real world standard.

However, I never can get why this seems to be an issue for so many. DAZ character height is somewhat arbitrary in that all characters, objects, etc, are scaled (or should be) to the same internal standard.

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603

I agree with the OP. However, in most of the newer figures, arm, leg, torso, chest, abdomen, etc all have morphs for thickness and length. I often use the "Head Propagating Scale" to adjust for the look in slender or miniaturized beings. As AllenArt said proportions are pretty "standard" for children as they grow. Other, more subtle things are ear and nose size (both keep growing as we age). For height I acquired a prop called "mugwall" several years back and use it for height adjustments. I can't find it anymore, but, here are three freebies that should help with scaling.

https://sharecg.com/v/69559/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Measuring-Wall

https://sharecg.com/v/90692/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Measurement-Bar

https://sharecg.com/v/46049/browse/11/Poser/Height-Scale

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    Etrigan said:

I agree with the OP. However, in most of the newer figures, arm, leg, torso, chest, abdomen, etc all have morphs for thickness and length. I often use the "Head Propagating Scale" to adjust for the look in slender or miniaturized beings. As AllenArt said proportions are pretty "standard" for children as they grow. Other, more subtle things are ear and nose size (both keep growing as we age). For height I acquired a prop called "mugwall" several years back and use it for height adjustments. I can't find it anymore, but, here are three freebies that should help with scaling.

https://sharecg.com/v/69559/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Measuring-Wall

https://sharecg.com/v/90692/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Measurement-Bar

https://sharecg.com/v/46049/browse/11/Poser/Height-Scale

I like this one: http://www.sharecg.com/v/40765/browse/11/Poser/Poser-height-measuring-rulers

(Yes, it's scaled properly for Studio)

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Thanks for the links!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2018

The only reason I would  like some standards is for furniture and vehicles stuff. It can be tough sometimes with the vehicles to fit characters inside, and even making the vehicles bigger doesn't always solve the issue, because the seats don't adjust for leg length. Same goes for furniture and couches where leg room and arm rests come into play.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961

The only reason I would  like some standards is for furniture and vehicles stuff. It can be tough sometimes with the vehicles to fit characters inside, and even making the vehicles bigger doesn't always solve the issue, because the seats don't adjust for leg length. Same goes for furniture and couches where leg room and arm rests come into play.

Mmm, I would just say that for these example, that mirrors reality. You either fit your body to the space, or adjust the space if possible. Granted is something is way out of realistic proportions that can cause problems, but just fitting it into a height and body type scale won't necessarily fix that either.