Art of the Promo

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited March 2016

I actually like the last three promo shots in the Chez Lucille Hair Salon by SloshWerks (formerly Slosh).  I love when there are shots of what the set looks like without textures because it lets me see a blank canvas that I can imagine making my own.  And, for these shots, he gave us useful information on what opens/closes, turns on/off, and raises/lowers.  Most people might think that promos like this are boring, but they give you a ton of information about the set which helps you make a sound buying decision.

edit: corrected the pronoun as I accidentally said 'she' and I'm pretty sure SloshWerks is a male.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I agree with Knittingmommy. Those kind of renders might be "boring" but they are very useful for getting a good overview of what you are getting.

A completely different type of promo image is the one where the item on sale might not be the immediate focus... This is one from the last few days that caught my attention.blush

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    isidorn said:
    A completely different type of promo image is the one where the item on sale might not be the immediate focus... This is one from the last few days that caught my attention.blush

Are you suggesting the two diagonal guns are not the focus?   cool  but they're so shiny...and the texturing is quite detailed...

Good call KnittingMommy,  I would have suggested those clay renders too.  Using the high contrasting red lettering to highlight the rigging functions was a good "double duty" for the promos.

edited March 2016

Really like the detail of Andrej Pestryakov's Forest Path. 

forest-path-andrejP.jpg
    1156 x 650 - 456K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Really like the detail of Andrej Pestryakov's Forest Path. 

He alwys does really good promos in my eyes.  His stuff is instantly recognizable

One word - Stonemason

I liked the one with the moon gate as well.

I liked the one with the moon gate as well.

That was spectacular.  I liked the one in the Abandoned Warehouse, too.

edited March 2016

Luthbelinna's New Nomad Oufit for Genesis 3 has great "snapshot" type promo today,  with the characters looking natural and carefree,  just like a tourist photo would,  slightly off center, one pushing into to pose,  very observant elements,  while still conveying information about how the outfit looks with the various configurations,  jacket off, scarf off.  Another example of well thought out double duty promo functionality. 

nomad-luthbelina.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 381K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Luthbelinna's New Nomad Oufit for Genesis 3 has great "snapshot" type promo today,  with the characters looking natural and carefree,  just like a tourist photo would,  slightly off center, one pushing into to pose,  very observant elements,  while still conveying information about how the outfit looks with the various configurations,  jacket off, scarf off.  Another example of well thought out double duty promo functionality. 

I didnt' even look at that outfit but your right, thats a great promo

That promo jumped at me too when I was looking over the new products in the store and I immediately thought about posting it here. Seems I'm too slow. :)

edited March 2016

Shaders are something a lot of people grab,  sort like hair,  who doesn't need more hair,  anway,  shader set usually have your typical model or  multiple sphere objects lined up showing the various shader properties,   so it is a little more interesting when a different tact is used.  Fuseling added these Before and After images for the new Filthy Dirty Future Iray Shaders showcasing this set in action.  That's smart marketing,  and this one of Neo Station caught my eye just cause the after is an interesting bit of art.  I might not get the set,  but that's a good promo if a bit darkly lit.

filthy-dirty-future-.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 294K
    edited March 2016

Totally unrelated to any specific product,  but I've noticed a tendency and have seen more than a few promos using Depth of Field,  Sure its a nice technique in artful renders,  but for Promos,  consider the customer's point of view.  Customers want to see the quality of the textures on a potential product they may consider buying espcially in the foreground, They don't want it obscured and blurred.  What are you trying to hide?   If you do use DOF,  blur the background.  Have the foreground in focus.  Show the product in the best possible light.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited March 2016

Such a lovely scene.  A girl swimming through a lovely clear pool of water.  Wonderful reflections from a tree on the water's surface.  Just don't look too deep below the surface.

Ripples and Wakes Iray by SickleYield

08-ripples-and-wakes-iray-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 220K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on

The soft tones of the setting sun and the delicate shimmering ocean surface makes this almost silhuetted Sailboat promo by Mely3D a nice bit of art. 

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

I'm tickled pink to have made the thread at last!  I made one of my small ripple props specifically to facilitate "small nose poke from below" thinking of the way snakes and some fish swim. :)

edited March 2016

Let's followup with another sunset shot and the hint of silhuette,  though this is decidedly darker and apocalyptic.  The Wandering Dead by Sarah Payne.  Death is coming. 

And keeping with the theme,  AntFarm's new Autopsy may be nestled in a bit more realism,  though the one promo of the sitting up cadaver under the covers on the table maybe suggests these two sets have more in common yet. Look at all the crisp physically real looking details on this.  The coroner just stepped out,  she'll be back in a minute.

Haha, again you beat me to posting here. The supposed dead sitting up in the morgue is such a classic so I thought I should post it here, but one morgue image is probably enough.

Please post whatever you like.  It's all good. 

We have new Premier Artists arriving here at DAZ from RDNA and they're bringing a whole slew of new promo artwork.  Mortem Vetus is being showcased today and there's a few really cool images.  They're primarily poser product renders,  but luckily we can easily use them in DAZ Studio with a little material tweaks. 

edited March 2016

So, can Facial A-Hairness be used in Daz Studio?  I almost bought that and didn't because I wasn't sure if it would work since I didn't know if it was Poser specific hair or not.  I love Mortem Vetus' promos!

edit: I could have sworn last night this only said Poser, but now it shows DS, too.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2016

Edited to add that we have just had it confimed that it is Poser only

It contains HR2 and MC6 mats, but uses the Poser hair room.

Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:

Edited to add that we have just had it confimed that it is Poser only

It contains HR2 and MC6 mats, but uses the Poser hair room.

Ah, thanks, Chohole! I guess it is off my wishlist again.  Oh well.

edited March 2016

So, can Facial A-Hairness be used in Daz Studio?

I had looked at the store page,  which indicated Daz Studio,  but based on chohole's info,  probably not. luckily I have  a couple versions of Poser so I'll test it out and see.   That store page should be updated.

storepage.jpg
    1083 x 762 - 263K

Thanks, FB.  I'd appreciate hearing what your tests reveal.

I really like what is done with the colours in the promo images for Magical Weapons Set . Nice way to highlight the product.

Yes indeed,  good call isidorn.

I grew up watching ScoobyDoo as a kid so the orange here caught my eye immediately.   The entire Izabella releases today have appealling images,  be sure to check them out.

And there's no way we can avoid not bringing a bit of attention to Jack's Knocker Pirates,  easily falling into the "And now for somthing completely different" category. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

And there's no way we can avoid not bringing a bit of attention to Jack's Knocker Pirates,  easily falling into the "And now for somthing completely different" category. 

These immediately make we want to go and play the early video games like mario brother lol. Super cute.