Error opening dsf files in Carrara. Advice Sought :blahblah dazfile/base#/walrusebase dsf not found.

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
edited June 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Hya,

I am using carrara 8.5 

When I open dsf files I have saved I get these errors (see pic)

Any help welcomed :)

(Ps smart content in car 8.5 not working I have stduio 4.9)

tanks in advance :)

errordsf1.jpg
645 x 669 - 101K
Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I often get such messages when opening .dsf files. Never tried to figure out the reason.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited June 2018

I have a whole lot of stuff I cant access through Carrara via smart content so thought I'd try the back door

I cant even see how to unistall Daz Studio 4.09 in the control panel (windows) as it is not listed :(

edit found a studio 4.1 in install manager - so deinstalling - hopefully a reinstall of 4.05 will fix?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I use DS 4.10. When errors occur, I break those scenes to parts and resave them separately. Than try to open them again.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Is it just smart content?  How about the regular content tab?  Is it available there?  If so, can it load?  I try to avoid the smart content in Carrara.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,798
    edited June 2018

I used the regular content tab to load the Walrus cr2 file.

Next I tried loading the Horse 2 cr2 file but got an error, so I went to my MyDAZ3D Library content tab and loaded the Horse 2 duf file

Edit : Don't have the Hivewire Dog but did get the DAZ Dog 8, had to convert it to blended weight to get the poses to work.

DAZ Horse Walrus 1.png
    2692 x 1037 - 698K
    DAZ Dog 8 bw.png
    2777 x 1037 - 753K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Two questions come to mind: 

1. Are you directly loading the .dsf file, or is it being referenced from a higher level .duf? (.dsf files are the back-end geometry continers)

2. Is the path that contains your [animal/Data] folder mapped in Carrara as DS content rather than Poser content?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,912

triax figures like the horse 2 have Poser companion files for use with DSON that Carrara cannot load

you are supposed to load the DAZ studio duf instead

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

when linking to daz folders, link to the folder directly above the \data folder  the dsf files are in the data folder

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    head wax said:

I'm assuming that you saw this thread, and want to get your smart Content back.  Hope the solution works!

It just seems weird to me that people don't want to use Smart Content in Carrara.  I love it, and use it for virtually all renders.

For people migrating to Carrara from Daz Studio, I think it is a major selling point.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Yes, my avoidance of the smart content tab is about as sensible as waiting 30 minutes after a meal to go in a pool.  Heard some time ago it was an issue, and never changed my behavior when informed it was no big deal. 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Diomede, just in case I offended, it was nothing personal.  I've heard several old hands here say the same thing.  And the same about DIM, etc.

As long as everyone is happy with their workflow, that's the main thing to me.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819

You need to load up the DS version of Hivewire dog not the poser version.. loads fine no need to convert to blended weight,... works great in Carrara.

I hardly ever use smart content tab... but when I do I find heaps of stuff I didn't know or forgot I had lol

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,912

I rarely use the smart content tab in DAZ studio even

but yes indeed there too  it can be good to find stuff you forgot about.

Diomede said:

Is it just smart content?  How about the regular content tab?  Is it available there?  If so, can it load?  I try to avoid the smart content in Carrara.

hya, the other stuff works fine thanks - but smart content not showing in studio either ..... (reinstalled 4.5 but still not showing anywhere - must read directions

)

Bunyip02 said:

Next I tried loading the Horse 2 cr2 file but got an error, so I went to my MyDAZ3D Library content tab and loaded the Horse 2 duf file

Edit : Don't have the Hivewire Dog but did get the DAZ Dog 8, had to convert it to blended weight to get the poses to work.

Thanks Bunyip - I just chose the walrus because it was old and so I wondered if it would work if saved from studio as a duf file

good news about the new dog - is it usable ?

I tried loading a duf file straight from my studio files rather than a saved out one (camel) and it loaded fine into carrara

Two questions come to mind: 

1. Are you directly loading the .dsf file, or is it being referenced from a higher level .duf? (.dsf files are the back-end geometry continers)

2. Is the path that contains your [animal/Data] folder mapped in Carrara as DS content rather than Poser content?

Hi Tim

1) I am loading something in Studio then saving it as a duf file - so I would assume it's a higher level duf file. If I go to the base directory where a duf file is then it seems to load into carrara alright ,

Thanks for question 2 - I hadn't loaded my daz studio stuff folder into my content at all - now I have it mapped as a ds folder - so can access it -  thanks for the heads up :)

th3Digit said:

triax figures like the horse 2 have Poser companion files for use with DSON that Carrara cannot load

you are supposed to load the DAZ studio duf instead

thanks Wendy - I just grabbed that horse randomly - appreciate your knowledge on that !

Mistara said:

when linking to daz folders, link to the folder directly above the \data folder  the dsf files are in the data folder

thanks Mistara - not really sure what this means sorry   - ah just checked the directory structure and I see what you mean - thank you

head wax said:

I'm assuming that you saw this thread, and want to get your smart Content back.  Hope the solution works!

It just seems weird to me that people don't want to use Smart Content in Carrara.  I love it, and use it for virtually all renders.

For people migrating to Carrara from Daz Studio, I think it is a major selling point.

hey yes, that was the catalyst - I stopped using smart tab becaue it took too long to load - now I can't get it to work anyway :) I think it's something to do with cms??? will search for that 

Stezza said:

You need to load up the DS version of Hivewire dog not the poser version.. loads fine no need to convert to blended weight,... works great in Carrara.

I hardly ever use smart content tab... but when I do I find heaps of stuff I didn't know or forgot I had lol

thanks Stezza, yes I tried that, it loads up in studio perfectly, the poser version loads up in poser perfectly - but both have their weightmaps screwed up for me in carrara _ I reloaded and reinstalled - but now I know to concentrate on the studio version I'll try again

thanks for that headsup :)

thanks stezza that did the trick -

gave it it's own folder and added a contenbt folder to the contnet section rather than a poser runtime - as Tim alluded to

thanks again!

I just spent all day studying seo and site extension and cpc and csms and blahdey blah google adwords so this is a relief 

dawg-1.jpg
    1508 x 1215 - 667K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,798
    edited June 2018
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Thanks Bunyip - I just chose the walrus because it was old and so I wondered if it would work if saved from studio as a duf file

good news about the new dog - is it usable ?

I tried loading a duf file straight from my studio files rather than a saved out one (camel) and it loaded fine into carrara

DAZ Dog 8 needs to be converted to blended weight in DAZ Studio, and saved as a character to a spot that you can locate the file. Then when loaded into Carrara the Eye Moisture shader needs to have the Alpha channel adjusted to Value (0-100%) with the value at 0% to get rid of the black eyes.

Dog 8 1.png
    2878 x 1040 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

thanks Bunyip02 :) I'll keep an eye out for it - its a bit steep at the moment  - have to wait till next tax year!!!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

knock knock  blahdey blah

blahdey blah dah jabba dah hut?

laugh tee hee