Smart content not showing

I think I've seen posts about problems with Carrara smart content after installing Daz Studio from version 4.9 .

I did have 4.6 installed and updated to 4.9, Now nothing is in my smart content but message saying cant 'connect to content managemant service.

Smart content is showing up OK in Daz Studio.

I see there is now  a DS 4.10 - anyone know if  

A)  There was an issue with 4.9

B)  Does 4.10 resolve it  ? Or do I seek help from Daz 

I am wishing I had not renistalled windows a few months ago as getting everything Daz working again has been uphillangrycrying [ thats just my gripe for todaywink

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I'm not sure that anyone here has a definitive answer.  Read this thread for discussion:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/235296/anyone-lucky-showing-stuff-in-smart-tab

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

Thanks Unified - checked out the thread and I realised there are issues and confusion !

I tried Daz 4.10 latest with install manager but Carrara was unable to connect to CMS [ requires valid postgreSQL server  - hard to figure as this supposed to install with Studio ] 

Reverted back to Studio 4.6 [ which luckily I had downloaded ]  and smart content is now back to normal.Conclusion - dont upgrade to DS 4.9+ if you want smart content , I wonder if Daz support is doing anything about this ? 

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Around DS 4.8, Daz split the Smart databases into 2, old and new. The old works with Carrara, the new does not. This means: -If you fresh install DS 4.9 or newer on a fresh PC, smart content will never work in Carrara. -If you reset the database or screw it up in another way with DS 4.9+, you need to uninstall DS, then install DS 4.7-, get the database running in Carrara (back it up too), then upgrade DS again if you want to iray or dforce.
    Lessons learned: Backup the database. There is a button in DS. Backup DS 4.7 or older.
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    3drendero said:
    Around DS 4.8, Daz split the Smart databases into 2, old and new. The old works with Carrara, the new does not. This means: -If you fresh install DS 4.9 or newer on a fresh PC, smart content will never work in Carrara. -If you reset the database or screw it up in another way with DS 4.9+, you need to uninstall DS, then install DS 4.7-, get the database running in Carrara (back it up too), then upgrade DS again if you want to iray or dforce.

So, you are saying that you can upgrade to 4.9 or higher, but that if you do a fresh install of 4.9 or higher, that you will screw up the smart content?

If that is so, then thanks for the answer!  I'm pretty sure that I upgraded to 4.9, and my smart content works fine. 

DS 4.8 or lower is needed create the old smart content database for Carrara. Then you can update to newer DS versions and Smart content works. Just a lot more sensitive... But if you press the reset database button in DS 4.9+, Smart content is dead in Carrara. I guess the same with re-import or similar database maintenance buttons.