Lighting - one light only comes on when another goes off?

AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Hi,

why is that sometimes you switch on one light and another seems to switch off? I'm trying to increase the lighting on one of my models. I've lit 2 of them pretty well but wanted to add more light to the back of one, I coppied a light that was half doing the job but the new light didn't seem to add anything at all. I switched off the other lights to see if the new light was actually doing anything and it suddenly appeared to switched on, I switched on the other lights again and my new light went off.

All the lights are spots.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Post edited by AbnerK on

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Increase the brightness (Lumen assuming Iray) as the other lights might be brighter and so will appear to be cancelling out the back light.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Thanks Fishtales, I tried increasing intensity, (increasing it to 2000% makes no difference) lumens and temperature but nothing makes any difference unless I swtich off one of the other lights which is only at 200% and default lumens and temperature.

Thanks

By the way, when I look through it's 'viewer' you can see where it should be lighting but it just seems to be off, until you switch off one of the other lights which is pointing at a different figure from a 90˚ angle. Sounds like a glitch to me. I noticed on the Boss lights some are switched off when you load them and switching them on seems to swtich off other lights. I don't know if it helps but I loaded a set of lights for one figure and copied various elements. 

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited June 2018
    Ive had weird stuff like that happen, and what seems to fix it is restarting Studio and reloading the scene and re-doing the light manually. Not sure the cause.
    Post edited by ebergerly on

If you are using Iray the Intensity slider isn't supposed to do anything.

Is the light showing up when you render the scene in Iray, and do you have Photometrics switched on for the light? If Photometrics are off then it wont show in Iray.

Thanks ebergerly, I'm trying it. I noticed the first time I looked the the light's 'viewport' the seem was just a load of stretched out lines and cones. Like some bizarre flue induced nightmare. :-D 

edited June 2018

Okay, the light does seem to work in the NVIDIA Iray viewport but now two of the figures are purple. I've double checked that the materials  I'm using are iray, I've attahced the scene from behind and for the AE police I've turned them off. (I've had a render removed from the gallery, despite it being half length, above the waist,  not showing any AE's or buttocks and despite it being being pretty much the same pose that I'm using here I'm livid but, that's another story).

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 12.58.31.png
    451 x 558 - 140K
    Post edited by AbnerK on

What I do see is the lights are too bright. The left lower light and the shoulder lights are blowing out the colours and are just a washed out white. This might be what you want of course. Are all the settings for the skins the same for each figure? It looks like something is set differently in the rear two. It could be a couple of things but you would have to check through all the settings to see.

I'm going to contact the vendor, I put the materials from the normally coloured figure on the purple ones and they were normally coloured. I'm definitely not using edlight materials, in fact the 3d light ones are slightly better. 

edited June 2018

Thanks Fishtales, I don't know, what's going on. I think you're right some of the lights can come down. This is the rear view so what you're seing are essentially rim lights but the  mats seem to be doing something weird. I've closed down daz studio. 

My test render yesterday wasn't purple. I've only changed the lights. I wasn't happy bout the one in the middle not being very well lit.

Now I am going to go for a walk and come back with fresh eyes and mind. :-) 

Thanks for the help. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 13.45.52.png
    989 x 553 - 605K
    Post edited by AbnerK on