I actually WANT to make IRay skin look like silicone - how?

PtropePtrope Posts: 679

Any suggestions on what IRay settings to adjust to get that deeply-translucent look of silicone from a skin texture? I'd also like to get the proper specular sheen to it. Are there 'silicone' shaders out there to use as a starting point? TIA!

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

You will wash out most of the detail from your diffuse layer if you do this but

1) Apply a Genesis 8 Skin Texture set from a DAZ Original.

2) Remove the texture that they've configured for each of the human 3D model's surfaces on the Transluncency Color

3) Move the transluncency color slider up closer to the right end, I forget if it's measure 0.0 - 1.0 or 0 - 100 but the closer to 1.0 (or 100) it is the more deeply transluncent the skin will be and the more washed out and non-detailed your diffuse texture will be.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679

I'm working with G3, but I'm sure the principle is the same. I tried running the translucency slider up as a first attempt, but the skin became almost black. I'm trying to preserve as much of the texture as I can, just make the body more obviously translucent. I guess I'll try darkening the color of the translucency, while also removing the texture from it, and fiddle until I get something I like ;) .

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Silicon has an Index of Refraction ranging from 4.010 to 4.240 so I would start there. I would also turn the Diffuse Roughness up to make it powdery looking and the Glossy Reflectivity and Roughness to get the secular reflections that you want. Then you can use Translucency and/or Emission to get the skin to look the way you envision it.

edited June 2018
    Ptrope said:

I'm working with G3, but I'm sure the principle is the same. I tried running the translucency slider up as a first attempt, but the skin became almost black. I'm trying to preserve as much of the texture as I can, just make the body more obviously translucent. I guess I'll try darkening the color of the translucency, while also removing the texture from it, and fiddle until I get something I like ;) .

If the skin became very dark that's because the Transmitted color new the bottom of the list on those skin surfaces must be a dark color, probably an orange or red (many forum members notice and say causes 'orange' skin). Try changing that to an almost white peach or pink since you want to imitate what those under the skin colors look like on the surface of the skin no directly in the skin.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Many thanks, Fishtales! I'll try all of those :-)

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,721
    edited June 2018

You could try the Gummi Bears shaders from Mec4D's Vol.2 shader set. I used the clear version on the nose rests of these glasses, but there are cloudier and colored versions too.

Sorry. I just read where you were attempting to retain as much of your present texture as possible. Nevermind.

Post edited by xyer0 on
    edited June 2018

Well, here's the first go-round. It's evident in the face, where there are more changing angles, but the body still looks pretty flat; I probably need to use a better lighting set-up, too, to take advantage of it. This is with translucency turned way up, and I modified the SSS maps to be brighter and higher-contrast, so the diffuse texture didn't get washed out.

Amiya 003.png
    675 x 900 - 795K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

I've had a look (Google) about and Silicone membrane is used to represent skin in some experiments so there can't be that much of a difference between Silicone skin and natural skin.

Ptrope said:

Well, here's the first go-round. It's evident in the face, where there are more changing angles, but the body still looks pretty flat; I probably need to use a better lighting set-up, too, to take advantage of it. This is with translucency turned way up, and I modified the SSS maps to be brighter and higher-contrast, so the diffuse texture didn't get washed out.

That is a cute character.

Well after you asked that I turned the translucency way up and it makes the skin too transparent - I can see the through the skin onto parts of the eyes and teeth. 

So something has to be adjusted to change how deeply the light can penetrate before the majority of the light is reflected and refracted back to the viewer. It's not very deep but I don't know the settings or the numbers.

I think it involves mostly these two sets for the 'SSS' part of the skin and eyes.

a) Translucency Weight

b) Base Color Effect

c) Transluncency Color

d) SSS Reflectance Tint

and

a) Transmitted Measurement Distance

b) Transmitted Color

c) SSS Mode

d) Scattering Measurement Distance

e) SSS Amount

f) SSS Direction