RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter - Using - Older Shaders Before Iray

Michael L RogersMichael L Rogers Posts: 141
edited June 2018 in Daz Studio Discussion

Just wondering why this is not working for the 3Delight glitter shaders and other shaders that are't made for Iray that are in my scene of which I purchased here at Daz? You know, the older shaders before Iray shaders came out. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Thanks

00-main-glittering-3d-shaders-daz3d.jpg
960 x 1248 - 174K
00-main-aelflaeds-fancy---shaders-for-ds-and-poser-daz3d.jpg
960 x 1248 - 256K
02-shades-of-life---bark-booster-daz3d.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 282K
main_popup_1_1.jpg
960 x 1248 - 162K
Post edited by Michael L Rogers on

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,260

Just wondering why this is not working for the 3Delight glitter shaders and other shaders that are't made for Iray that are in my scene of which I purchased here at Daz? You know, the older shaders before Iray shaders came out. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Thanks

My guess is that they use functions that are just too complex for it....  There isn't a one to one identity for every 3dl to iray function.... 

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932

I think you misunderstand how the script works. It does not convert shaders at all. It simply looks at the surface names and then assign a suitable Iray shader or a default (for example if the surface name contains "glass" it will assign a glass shader and so on). So whatever happens inside a shader is irrelavent. So the specialty you list will simply end up as an iray shader that matches the surface name if possible or the iray default.

Ciao

TD

• Gotcha, thanks both.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Your best bet is probably to convert any odd 3dl shaders into standard ones (default shader, UberSurface).

Any special coded effect, like AoA grass or rock, just can't magically be translated into Iray. (Although I've made a few weird Iray coded shaders!)

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited June 2018

A great deal of what we think of as "shaders" are actually "preset inputs" for existing shaders (like the DAZ Default 3Delight or Uber Iray shaders). There's nothing wrong with this and I consume a GREAT deal of them. But now and then you're going to come across a 3Delight shader where they have actually coded special Renderman Shader Language (RSL) modules for it. Those aren't going to easily translate into the Uber Iray shader values since the converter is just trying to map from 3Delight surface settings to Iray without trying to translate the code. I think Riversoft and Sicklyield have created a very nice time saver. But it can't possibly handle converting the specialized RSL code into corresponding Material Definition Language (MDL) modules.

Post edited by JonnyRay on