I want to make a game, some questions.

Hello, I've been reading about some game developer stuff but those are from a long time ago. Links to the Indie Developer license leads to a 404 now. I have some questions and would appreciate an answer.

I'm trying to create an iOS and Android game that will incorporate models and environments and render them into JPG and PNG images to import into the game. A Visual Novel.

1) From what I have stated above do I need any special license to use these images that I have rendered? I will not be using the export feature to export them into FBX or OBJ or anything as the amount of polygons from 1 model is way too high.

2) If so, does DAZ have any rights to third party models and assets? I would assume that this only applies towards models and assets distributed under the DAZ Originals name.

3) Any additional important information that someone in my situation would need to know. Thank you.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

Any game that uses any mesh bought from the DAZ store and imported into the game needs an interactive license (under the normal price and description on the product page) for any and all models used. If you are just using 2D images or sprites, then no license is required.

if you are using non Daz models, then make sure to check with their usage license, especially if they are free, as most free models have a non commercial use license. if no license, then it;s not to be used

keep in mind that Daz3d isn't really the place for gaming assets, but since some want to use them that is why the interactive license is there.

for gaming specific content, Daz has the morph3d store https://www.morph3d.com/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

a visual Novel you are fine as renders no extra license needed

• AnonTurtleAnonTurtle Posts: 31
    edited June 2018

Any game that uses any mesh bought from the DAZ store and imported into the game needs an interactive license (under the normal price and description on the product page) for any and all models used. If you are just using 2D images or sprites, then no license is required.

Thank you for the answer. I am not super technical so I want to make sure everything that I am doing is completely legal. By mesh, do you mean the actual exporting of mesh, i.e. clothing, skins, etc. as texture into an actual model exported to FBX/OBJ and the likes? By "2D images or sprites" do you mean simply rendering the DAZ3D Studio model into a JPG/PNG which is what I intend to do?

if you are using non Daz models, then make sure to check with their usage license, especially if they are free, as most free models have a non commercial use license. if no license, then it;s not to be used

Quoted from the Interactive License webpage. 

1- Render out images2- Render out videos3- Render out an HDRI or Virtual Reality scene Any of these you render out are completely owned by you. You can use them, sell them, modify them, pretty much whatever you want.

Since, I only want to render these images into 2D JPG/PNG. Does this mean for a product that I have purchased and have NOT purchased the Interactive License. I can render them into 2D JPG/PNGs and use them in my game without any restrictions?

For example, I am taking the first model I find from the shop https://www.daz3d.com/ozias-hd-for-genesis-8-male. I cannot find any license for personal or commercial use. The only license available is the interactive license. 

keep in mind that Daz3d isn't really the place for gaming assets, but since some want to use them that is why the interactive license is there.

for gaming specific content, Daz has the morph3d store https://www.morph3d.com/

I understand that models can be created also but they require more polygons and can slow down the game where all I need is an image since I am trying to create a Visual Novel. The images additionally look better than the models and the models take up more file size.

What I am trying to do is create scenarios in my game where the character can change their clothes and hair. By doing this what I am doing is duplicating the same model. On model 1, I hide everything except the head. On model 2, I hide the head. Then I render both of the separately into 2D JPG/PNGs. In the game I change out the head or the body 2D JPG/PNGs if players want to change hair or clothes. Importantly, the Interactive License also states this.

If however,You want to create an experience where someone can alter what is happening, such as an application or a video game that changes depending on what the user does, then such things will generally require access to information about the 3D assets so that it can move them around, alter them, and generally manipulate them to change the user experience.This would not be covered under the standard EULA and would require that you purchase an Interactive License for any of the content that you are using in this way.

If I am reading this correctly, this is directed towards the what you stated as "mesh" or an actual export of the model through FBX/OBJ/etc. that someone can steal and manipulate. Since it says "about the 3d assets" it shouldn't impact what I am trying to do correct? Therefore, I would not need an interactive license?

Since I can no longer find the Indie Game Developer License. Does this mean that the Interactive License replaces the Indie Developer License? 
    I'm saying this so many times because this is what is most important. So unless I actually export the DAZ3D Asset outside of Daz Studio as a 3D Asset with texture/mesh. I do not need the Interactive License at all for any product I use. Is this correct?

Post edited by AnonTurtle on

As long as no mesh or daz textures are included with the game, then Images only are totally fine to use without a license

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

You are correct in saying you can use any version of a RENDER ... JPG or PNG is an example of a render and you are fully covered with nothing else to do or buy. 

https://www.daz3d.com/how-to-tell-stories-in-small-spaces--illustrated-narratives-for-mobile-devices is even a great tutorial (I bought it) that may help you.

Good Luck,
    Jazzy B-)

What I am trying to do is create scenarios in my game where the character can change their clothes and hair. By doing this what I am doing is duplicating the same model. On model 1, I hide everything except the head. On model 2, I hide the head. Then I render both of the separately into 2D JPG/PNGs. In the game I change out the head or the body 2D JPG/PNGs if players want to change hair or clothes. Importantly, the Interactive License also states this.

When you say "model" this implies that you have a 3d mesh model in the game, correct? If not, and it is all just rendered images, then you are fine using them without a license.