G2 and older with Iray

SaldazSaldaz Posts: 168

Did Iray come at the same time as G3?

Is it as simple as G3 and G8 is optimized for Iray and G2 and older is not?

Comments

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

Iray was released about halfway through the Genesis 3 run.  So, some are optimized and some are not.

• SaldazSaldaz Posts: 168

Thanks

So I have to look for for things like this:

• DAZ Studio Iray and 3Delight Material Presets(DUF)
    • This product uses Iray Materials
    • Daz Studio Iray Material Presets (.DUF)
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

That isd correct. Or you could invest in an 3DL to Iray converter, for example https://www.daz3d.com/iray-smart-converter-and-advanced-skin-managers-for-genesis-3

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited June 2018

You can hand-convert the 3DL textures to Iray, and those of us who beta tested the Iray engine have a lot of experience with that.

Genesis 3 is virutally all Iray. Even if Daz-Iray wasn't 100% out before Victoria 7/Michael 7, it was in test... so you've got no problems, really.

Even if a Genesis 3 skin doesn't have Iray support, there are so many Genesis 3 Iray skins... once you learn to CTRL-Click a Material loadout, you can apply Shader settings without messing with the Texture Maps. It's a quick way to "convert" from 3DL to Iray.

For Genesis 2, there should be a Default G2F/G2M Iray skin under Materials. That's the basis for converting any Genesis 2 figure model from 3DL to Iray.

Or, a "smart" kind of product... my preferred one is Fuseling/Sickleyield's Beautiful Skins products, but there are many. Here's the Genesis 2 flavor of Sickleyield/Fuseling...
    https://www.daz3d.com/beautiful-skin-genesis-2-iray-bundle

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited June 2018

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I probably am, lol) but I usually just use the Iray Uber Base Shader on stuff I have that isn't an Iray texture, and things usually turn out alright. Granted, I know Iray has a few extra texture maps that go with it, but I things render out alright when I do this. 

Like in this picture The Girl 8 stands triumphant over a fallen foe wearing a G2 outfit. I think it looks just fine, aside from that wierdness in the mesh that makes it look like the skirt is ripped or something, but the textures look fine and it rendered out pretty good.

Babydoll 2.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Post edited by brimstoneomega on
  • brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited June 2018

Here's two more, The car is an older model that I did that with, and the picture of the girl in the room is Josie 6 and she's wearing Restless which is a G2 outfit.

Josie 6.png
    2560 x 1440 - 6M
    Patty's Ride.png
    2560 x 1440 - 5M
    Post edited by brimstoneomega on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited June 2018

Uber is the generic shader. It works. Daz will interpret the underlying 3DL texture as best as it can, including the Bump and various Glossy maps. 

There's nothing wrong with the Uber shader... it's very good.

You can also select a Surface, say the Chrome on the car or a Button on an outfit, and CTRL-Click with another shader (say, Metal - NIckel).
    (This is in cases where you want to PRESERVE an underlying texture map, like a Diffuse or Bump or Opacity map.)

Daz will ask you if you want to Replace or Ignore the textures on the Surface when you CTRL+Click a shader... simply IGNORE if you want to preserve.

When converting a Human figure, it's GOOD to have an Iray template beyond the Uber shader. Sclera, fingernails, skin... why leave it up to Uber if you have an Iray materials set? 

This is where the CTRL-Click works very well. If you have a Human skin for that figure family (Genesis 2, V4, etc) with an Iray material set, that can act as a baseline set of conversion instructions for your figure. Having that one set of conversion rules helps you build up experience and knowledge with that set of instructions - what you like and do not like about the conversion. Uber's shotgun approach isn't ideal for that.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Another option to convert G2F and older models for use in Iray is to use the free skinRAY Alpha 1.2. It's a simple solution and supports Genesis 2, Genesis,  and V4. I've used it a lot, and it provides a perfect starting point (or can be used without tweaking too). A great little free utility.

• Uber is the generic shader. It works. Daz will interpret the underlying 3DL texture as best as it can, including the Bump and various Glossy maps. 

There's nothing wrong with the Uber shader... it's very good.

You can also select a Surface, say the Chrome on the car or a Button on an outfit, and CTRL-Click with another shader (say, Metal - NIckel).
    (This is in cases where you want to PRESERVE an underlying texture map, like a Diffuse or Bump or Opacity map.)

Daz will ask you if you want to Replace or Ignore the textures on the Surface when you CTRL+Click a shader... simply IGNORE if you want to preserve.

When converting a Human figure, it's GOOD to have an Iray template beyond the Uber shader. Sclera, fingernails, skin... why leave it up to Uber if you have an Iray materials set? 

This is where the CTRL-Click works very well. If you have a Human skin for that figure family (Genesis 2, V4, etc) with an Iray material set, that can act as a baseline set of conversion instructions for your figure. Having that one set of conversion rules helps you build up experience and knowledge with that set of instructions - what you like and do not like about the conversion. Uber's shotgun approach isn't ideal for that.

Wow, thanks for the tips! I didn't know about the CTRL+Click stuff, I swear, I learn something new each time I come to the forums, lol. Thank you for this, I've only very recently started messing with shaders and surfaces, there's so much to learn!  I'll have to give this a shot. I started out only getting Gen 3 and 8 stuff, but with all the sales and freebies I've amassed quite a bit of older stuff that I like a lot, the uber base helped me to use them, but this is like gold. I'll look into some of the skin suggestions you all have made as well. 

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

That's where the Iray converter come in handy. They have several options that plug the maps intio the right slots for you. https://www.daz3d.com/iray-smart-converter-and-advanced-skin-managers-for-genesis-2

(And - ha! - I knew I had made a post about that somewhere. The first bit is about displacement in 3DL and Iray, but the rest deals with conversion. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2942121/#Comment_2942121

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

I recently bought the V3Digitimes product BeeMKay mentions, and I'm having a lot of success with it. I could convert to Iray Uber and get very far by manipulating the surfaces myself, but the converter does a better job of translating the strengths of some settings than I knew how to do. And in step 1 of the conversion, it gives you three presets you can test (if the Iray viewport is active) so you can check out specular and glossy options before committing the conversion.