What would be the steps (workflow) be to create a Genesis NearMe?

124»

Comments

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Another trick for smoothing is to get your morph close to what you want, bring it into DS, Apply Smoothing Modifier, set Smoothing to about 5, Bake Smoothed Morph, then export as obj again if you want to continue to edit. :) (Although I did have some troubles when I brought the new shape back in as a morph on Genesis again... Genesis was translated so the bellybutton was at about floor level. Transferring the rigging to the new shape failed after that. I might have to remove the old morph rather than trying to replace it.)

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,699
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Another trick for smoothing is to get your morph close to what you want, bring it into DS, Apply Smoothing Modifier, set Smoothing to about 5, Bake Smoothed Morph, then export as obj again if you want to continue to edit. :) (Although I did have some troubles when I brought the new shape back in as a morph on Genesis again... Genesis was translated so the bellybutton was at about floor level. Transferring the rigging to the new shape failed after that. I might have to remove the old morph rather than trying to replace it.)

I think I've tried that and found that the corneas detach.

edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    zigraphix said:

I think I've tried that and found that the corneas detach.

Ah. I did some major editing on the eyes after the smoothing step, largely to make the cornea irrelevant (which was my plan all along for the morph I was working on), but that's good to know. I'm guessing the cornea edges aren't welded to the sclera, then? I know the iris and pupil aren't (though they are attached to each other).

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Since I had no luck creating a full body morph for the Kururu figure I decided to try my hand at rolling my own. Luckily I have a lot of illustration experience in the anime/manga style so designing the figure wasn't too hard. I've decided to go with an androgynous unimesh which I can then morph into male or female or chibi or even monster. I swipped the crotch from a MakeHuman figure (those figures are darned handy to have, I make props and clothes out of them all the time) so it should even be able to have male or female genitals. I figure even if it doesn't turn out this will be a good opportunity for me to experiment and study rigging and if it works out the way I'm hoping there will be a new public domain anime-styled figure up on Share CG for everyone to enjoy. I don't know how genesis compatible the rigging is going to be. I tried to approximate the genesis T-Pose but the proportions are so stylised that I don't think it will work with out tweaking the poses and animations. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'm unsure what to do about the ears at this point. I kind of like the idea of leaving it earless and then creating a set of different prop ears to parent to the head. Seems that would be the easiest way to gain the versatility of being able to make humans and cat girls/boys/girl-boys and other anime standbys that have oddly placed and shaped ears. The ears are so close the the head that it shouldn't be all that obvious that they're not part of the mesh.

Here's what I've got so far. Little more tweaking and then I can start adding eyes, etc.

Looks like an alien without the ears. Still have to tweak the head a bit.

anime_unimesh_1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 117K
    edited December 1969

Good idea about the ears. Yes, right now it looks a lot like an alien, but maybe the skin color is also contributing... ;) I always have a hard time knowing if the head looks right without some hair.

edited December 1969

Well got it UV mapped today and a few more details added. Just have the eyes, inner mouth, and finger and toe nails left to go and I'll be all set to start rigging. Did have one oddity. when I load the figure into MT Mirror to check the symmetry I get "Critical Err: Same Point Hit" message and if I mirror the right side to the left the point along one part of the left eyelid all get set to 0,0,0.

anime_wip_3.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 199K
    edited December 1969

I figured out what the same point hit error is. When I made the eyelashes I copied a curve from the eyelids and then extruded it to form the eyelash. When I did this the eyelash had vertices that were at the exact same point as another vertex. I adjusted the Y of each eyelash by .001 and then tried loading that figure into MT Mirror and sure enough, no more error.

I will have to remember this for in the future.

Got the eyes done. I'm going to have to move them through morphs though, they're only partial, flattened spheres. If they were real spheres of sufficient size to give the required curvature they'd be bigger than the head. :ohh:

anime_wip_4.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 133K
  • What was really important in this model is Illustration-style shader for the standart Poser 6 render-engine. If there was a skilled craftsman capable of fastening this render engine to the modern version of Daz Studio or Poser (for example as a plug-in) - that would really be awesome. Such rendering results as this engine in combination with the animation shader can't be reproduced by any present renderer.

• PenguinistoPenguinisto Posts: 83
    edited September 2020

Alright... just so that no one else gets stuck here going "WTH!? Why Haven't You Made This Yet!?", let me give you a quick and dirty means to get NearMe on a Genesis (anything - Genesis 1 through Genesis 8) setup.

1) Go get the NearMe ffigure (it's cheap, and you can still buy it for just under 2,000 Yen): http://efrontier.shop14.makeshop.jp/shopdetail/000000000424/ct10/page1/recommend/

2) Go get as many hair and head-oriented freebies for the little cutie as you can get. A good starting list is here: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/NearMe

3) Load up the NearMe figure in DS, then go bone-up on this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/327881/separating-the-arms-from-the-body

4) Using the knowledge in that thread, whack everything that's not the neck, head, and eyes of the little NearMe figure, and save it off as a separate Scene Subset.

5) Merge in your Genesis body, and hide everything on that from the neck up, being careful to not delete any bones on it.

6) Parent the NearMe head onto the Genesis head in the Scene Tab, scaling and positioning the NearMe head as needed.

7) Tweak the genesis body morphs to approximate whatever you want body-wise.

8) While dorking with the tiling and offset sliders in Surfaces for the NearMe head, graft on the genesis character facial texture to taste, so as to approximate what you need. If it's misaligned atop the head, no problem, you can cover that with hair, etc.

9) Always remember to select the genesis head to pose your NearMe head, but select the specific NearMe head bone to get at the morphs for the eyes, mouth, etc.

10) You now have something that can still make your grown daughter laugh and call you a dork. Body is a Genesis 3 (but any body will work). Oh, the little figure? Ask Ghastly, he can tell you ;) :

image alt

Penny-1.3-test.jpg
    872 x 916 - 326K
    Post edited by Penguinisto on