Urban Living is a keeper.

frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
edited June 2018 in The Commons

https://www.daz3d.com/urban-living_KindredArts

Urban Living is a keeper! Thanks, KindredArt. Great value for money. There's add ons I could wish for, but that would up the expense; like a single apartment with interior, and opening doors and windows - maybe one day?

As it is, the full set opened in Studio as a huge city block, but, after adding a G8M and a V3 character, it all rendered in about eight minutes (GTX1080, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM) as a 1920 x 1080 image. This is a small fraction of the set.

UrbanLiving-1.png
1920 x 1080 - 4M
Post edited by frankrblow on

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Yeh it looks pretty good in the promos. The problem with big scenes like this is that you need to fill them with people and vehicles or they look like a ghost town. And when you do it taxes your PC resouces.

For distant shots I suppose you could use low-rez ones with DOF to disguise them.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861
    fred9803 said:

Yeh it looks pretty good in the promos. The problem with big scenes like this is that you need to fill them with people and vehicles or they look like a ghost town. And when you do it taxes your PC resouces.

For distant shots I suppose you could use low-rez ones with DOF to disguise them.

unless you recreate Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    fred9803 said:

Very true. IF you choose to do such a render, but this set can be used for a variety of more tightly focused renders, such as the one I posted above. Gardens, enclosed yards, stairways, and more. The choice is up to you, I think.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,083

This is definitely a set that I wasn't exactly wishing for, but when I saw it, I knew I must have it. :D Looks great, and offers lots of possibilities. Great work!

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

It's been a while since I've bought anything, but I'm really fighting temptation with this one. My sister lives in the upper two floors of a maisonette block (the smaller buildings) and from the promos it looks very realistic. I thought the description of the 'low income' residents was unusually kind and diplomatic too, considering the reputation these places have - it seems like a rare UK crime drama which doesn't feature a few scenes filmed in one, so it would make a useful purchase if crime and thrillers were your thing. I've been using very close shots of the balconies of Bluebird 3Ds old motel if I need something similar, so I'd definitely have a use for it. I'm doing very badly at talking myself out of this one!

• Very much captures the look - which mat well include a ghost-town effect. You could almost certainly use billboard figures for the interiors, at least, to reduce overheads.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,235

Thanks for all the love chaps, i'm so glad you all like it! This kind of set takes forever to produce and it's always a gamble to know whether it will find an audience or not. As Richard mentioned above, you'll probably benefit from a generic billboard set over massive amounts of lorez figures, if you want to fill the scene out. Either way, i've never known council estates like this to be brimming with traffic anyway, so having a ghost town probably isn't far off the mark.

Oh and if anyone's interested, it's based off the heygate estate in london. It was used in a lot of movies/Tv shows over here.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Thought I recognised it from Attack the Block . . . (starring a young-looking John Boyega) yes

• Thomas63Thomas63 Posts: 32

It's a great set. Anything with urban decay/graffiti etc. works for me. And you've captured the heygate estate to a T! wink Thank you!

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

It went in the cart right away.  I second the call for future add-ons.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Looks nice, but at least the small buildings are more a british specialty than a european one. That's fine for this set, but nonetheless it would be nice to get some stuff from other european countries, too. Right now it's usually american or british buildings, with the latter called "as seen in britain and european countries" which just isn't always the case. Architecture in the different european countries often differs a lot.

There's some nice historical european buildings. And some nice pseudo-european buildings, which look as if they came straight out of a holiday catalogue... but very few of the utterly normal houses one sees when he walks through any european city...

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990

Dunno, but unless you are using the backyard of the smaller buildings, which are decidedly English... but the front side looks like something you'd find in larger German cities, too. Or most other larger cities, for the matter.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited June 2018

Very much captures the look - which mat well include a ghost-town effect. You could almost certainly use billboard figures for the interiors, at least, to reduce overheads.

..or instancing.

This will work perfectly for a lot of my European scenes.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,591

This looks fantastic, although probably a bit to European themed for most of my projects, but I can see a use for it in lots of ways.

• Deadly BudaDeadly Buda Posts: 155

I'm having trouble with the graffiti alpha mats not rendering in iRay. They are fine in 3Delight. Do I have to change a setting so they work?

I'm having trouble with the graffiti alpha mats not rendering in iRay. They are fine in 3Delight. Do I have to change a setting so they work?

They're not showing at all? Or are they rendering with a square black background?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,722

How did I miss this?  It is in my wishlist now and also how did I miss it when it was on sale.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,357

How did I miss this?  It is in my wishlist now and also how did I miss it when it was on sale.

Ditto. I've always got a use for distinctly British environments and props.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,141

Sadly, dreary suburbs like in this set can be found in large cities all over Europe. Including those satellite receivers. I find it fairly recognizable for the Netherlands and several other European countries as well.

I'm sure the concrete looked fresh, white and utopian when it still was on the drawingboards.

• The set looks lovely but for me it presents the same problem that school auditoriums or other sets that require adding many people... When I add the prople the rendertime becomes long and stressful on the computer...       

They're not showing at all? Or are they rendering with a square black background?

Depending where they are, either as a black square background, or sometimes the black is knocked out and knocks out the building image also.

By the way, other than my current mat issue, this is set is awesome. I recommend it to anyone with an urban scene to get more "real".

Depending where they are, either as a black square background, or sometimes the black is knocked out and knocks out the building image also.

It sounds like the decals have no opacity map, but i'm not sure what it's doing to the building texture, check that UE_TRmaps has a map in the image slot. Perhaps its just z-fighting in the viewport? If you post a quick render i'll take a look. Also, does this happen if you load a fresh version of the set from my files, or are you using a version you have saved yourself?

It sounds like the decals have no opacity map, but i'm not sure what it's doing to the building texture, check that UE_TRmaps has a map in the image slot. Perhaps its just z-fighting in the viewport? If you post a quick render i'll take a look. Also, does this happen if you load a fresh version of the set from my files, or are you using a version you have saved yourself?

Ok! please forgive the mid-kit-bash at the moment, but it might have something to do with the alpha map weirdness. When I load a new large building prop in a fresh scene, everything works fine. But somehow I've managed to knock out the alpha mat in the course of working on the scene. The alpha mat is in the correct slot it appears. And, the interactive viewport is behaving normally. Its just now in photoreal rendering the alpha mats are not working right.

alphaweirdness.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

OK, so the base set is working correctly, that's good to know. You should select the large building (or any building affected) and apply the 'Urban Living Day MAT' material, in your materials folder. If there are any texture issues, this should solve them. Something is out of the ordinary though, the decals should all have black backgrounds if they were only missing opacity maps. The white is very out of place. I'm not sure what's been going on in this scene, so i'm not sure what to point to first, but it's best to try re-loading the building materials as a starting point.

Ok! please forgive the mid-kit-bash at the moment, but it might have something to do with the alpha map weirdness. When I load a new large building prop in a fresh scene, everything works fine. But somehow I've managed to knock out the alpha mat in the course of working on the scene. The alpha mat is in the correct slot it appears. And, the interactive viewport is behaving normally. Its just now in photoreal rendering the alpha mats are not working right.

OK, so the base set is working correctly, that's good to know. You should select the large building (or any building affected) and apply the 'Urban Living Day MAT' material, in your materials folder. If there are any texture issues, this should solve them. Something is out of the ordinary though, the decals should all have black backgrounds if they were only missing opacity maps. The white is very out of place. I'm not sure what's been going on in this scene, so i'm not sure what to point to first, but it's best to try re-loading the building materials as a starting point.

Well, the funny thing is that I have tried that many times but still its not working when I apply the MAT. I must have messed up something along the way but I can't figure out what.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

...was on the MadArtists sale along with another item on the wishlist so snagged both. As I mentioned it will work well for the UK segments of my story. 

The set looks lovely but for me it presents the same problem that school auditoriums or other sets that require adding many people... When I add the prople the rendertime becomes long and stressful on the computer...       

...that is what the Now-Crowd Billboards are for. There are a couple that would work well with this environment. 

Just an update, I've been troubleshooting these textures and it seems that the problem is primarily with the alpha mats on the graffit parts of the alpha mats. The same mat actually contains the drapes, and sattelite dish textures.

If I turn Instance Optimization to "Memory" even a new item in the scene renders incorrectly. If I turn it to "Speed" it will render correctly, unless I rotate the Large Building object on the Y axis.

At all times, the alpha mats work correctly in the viewport using the texture setting.

Just an update, I've been troubleshooting these textures and it seems that the problem is primarily with the alpha mats on the graffit parts of the alpha mats. The same mat actually contains the drapes, and sattelite dish textures.

If I turn Instance Optimization to "Memory" even a new item in the scene renders incorrectly. If I turn it to "Speed" it will render correctly, unless I rotate the Large Building object on the Y axis.

At all times, the alpha mats work correctly in the viewport using the texture setting.

Now that is interesting, thank you for updating me. I try very hard to keep things speedy and optimized, it's good to know if that will create potential issues. I will try and re-create this later on.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

https://www.daz3d.com/urban-living_KindredArts

Urban Living is a keeper! Thanks, KindredArt. Great value for money. There's add ons I could wish for, but that would up the expense; like a single apartment with interior, and opening doors and windows - maybe one day?

As it is, the full set opened in Studio as a huge city block, but, after adding a G8M and a V3 character, it all rendered in about eight minutes (GTX1080, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM) as a 1920 x 1080 image. This is a small fraction of the set.

maybe you could just hide a particular door or window somehow, and add a single rigged window/door prop instead? there are many freebies out there, and also shop items...