Eureka! I found the document explaining surface settings in Iray!

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited May 2018

thank you!

pointer appreciated and saved!

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Tako that info has been there since DS/Iray came out. ;) Still not quite complete but it helped me no end when I was learning Iray. 

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

You can also check the Nvidia docs, although some settings may be different for DS.

http://raytracing-docs.nvidia.com/iray/manual/index.html#preface#1001

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited May 2018

That page does help me for some things, but for others e.g. controlling glossiness, there's a certain amount of circular definitions when what I need is a description of how to use the various parameters. I think I'm following instructions in setting up a slightly shiny material, but it persists in gleaming like a showroom-ready car.

And after all this time, I still don't know what the units are in the Bump setting. Centimetres, millimetres, nanofurlongs?

Post edited by SpottedKitty on

If the units are the same as the 3dl shader then depth should be centimeters which I do believe they are.

as for gloss. My advice when working in Iray use the Metal/Rough shader. Spec/Gloss is way too fiddly for no real benefit. 

Ok I have some time, so what type of surface is it and post your settings and let see if I can shine some light on the situation. Once you grasp it, it should fall into place.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Szark said:
    Ok I have some time, so what type of surface is it and post your settings and let see if I can shine some light on the situation. Once you grasp it, it should fall into place.

It's just the glossy parameters in general, when I'm trying to reverse engineer a converted Poser or 3Delight material. Chief among the usual suspects is Glossy Layered Weight — I know that it controls the glossiness properties, because the doc page says so. What I don't know (because the doc page doesn't say so) is how it controls them; I can copy parameter settings from some other surface that renders the way I want it, but it doesn't seem to matter what value I plug into Glossy Layered Weight, it renders super shiny or super dull with not a lot in between. I think at several points I was getting the shinies at near-zero GLW values. If that's the way it's supposed to work, the doc page ought to explain it better.

• Tako YakidaTako Yakida Posts: 548
    edited May 2018

@mindsong You're welcome! :D

@Szark I am sure but for some reason I never hit it before. I was actually googling "anisotropy rotations" when the page popped up unexpectedly in the search results. Hurray for Google. :-/

@maclean Thank you for the additional data! The more the merrier!

@SpottedKitty I feel your pain. If I understood all the settings better I would rewrite the page and send it to them for publication. Hopefully Szark has some good advice along the lines of what you are experiencing!

Post edited by Tako Yakida on

OK can I see your settings please so I can see what the problem is