Strange rendering problem on DAZ Studio 4.6

MickyBeMickyBe Posts: 336
edited July 2013 in The Commons

I have a strange rendering problem on DAZ Studio 4.6,
anyone has the same thing ??

When I do a render of a Genesis or Genesis 2 character,
meshes seem to appear on textures and seams appear on body...
but only when character is far away from the camera, closer renders work just fine.

For the samples here, it's default DAZ Studio light
with default 3Delight parameters,
but i have same result using different lights.

I don't remember having that problem in DAZ Studio 4.5.
Graphic Card drivers are up to date (ATI Radeon HD 6570).

Pictures samples 1-4 = Default DAZ Light + Defaut 3Delight Render parameters (Picture 4 Close up = no problem)
Picture sample 5 = 1 Infinite Light, 1 SpecularOnly & 1 SpecularOnlySpot + Defaut 3Delight Parameters

If someone has an idea on how to fix that ...

05.jpg
1400 x 913 - 324K
04.jpg
1097 x 913 - 211K
03.jpg
1097 x 913 - 225K
02.jpg
1097 x 913 - 131K
01.jpg
1097 x 913 - 66K
Post edited by MickyBe on

Comments

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I'm not seeing it on the Genesis 2 character - or at least if it's there my old eyes can't see it - but I'm getting the same then on Genesis 1.

Seams1.png
    1280 x 1280 - 110K
  • MickyBeMickyBe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Yes, your Genesis 2 character is ok,
    no idea why mine has sort of meshes that appear on maps & seams visible :(

I uninstalled Victoria 6 & Genesis 2 and did a new fresh install,
    It doesn't fix the problem.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

"default 3Delight parameters,"
    Did you try to set the shading rate to 0.2?

edited July 2013

Kerya said:
    "default 3Delight parameters,"
    Did you try to set the shading rate to 0.2?

Here is a render with Shading rate at 0.2,
    doesn't seem to fix it either :(

Edit: Also tested Shading rate at 0.01 and still having same issue
    for Genesis 2, Genesis 1 seems ok at 0.01.

v5-v6-shading001.jpg
    1097 x 913 - 76K
    v5-v6-shading02--2.jpg
    1097 x 913 - 69K
    v5-v6-shading02.jpg
    1097 x 913 - 47K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Ok this could be down to what the skin shader is and what the SSS shadeing rate is set to.

Do you have by any chance Uber Surface on Genesis and the new AOA Shader Base on Genesis2? If so are the SSS Shading rate values.

edited July 2013

Szark said:
    Ok this could be down to what the skin shader is and what the SSS shadeing rate is set to.

Do you have by any chance Uber Surface on Genesis and the new AOA Shader Base on Genesis2? If so are the SSS Shading rate values.

That's a good question ...
    How to check that ? :p

I'm not an expert on DAZ Studio :p

edited December 1969

Select the first figure and pop in to the Surfaces Pane, Click on the Head texture map and look at the top right of the Pane and it shoud state what the shader is. Then look down for the SSS (Sub Surface Scattering) settings.

The repeat for the second figure.

edited December 1969

MickyBel said:

I'm not an expert on DAZ Studio :p

Niether am I LOL No problem if you don't understand anything I say just shout.
    edited July 2013

Szark said:
    Select the first figure and pop in to the Surfaces Pane, Click on the Head texture map and look at the top right of the Pane and it shoud state what the shader is. Then look down for the SSS (Sub Surface Scattering) settings.

The repeat for the second figure.

Ok, Genesis 2 uses AoA_Subsurface (having a lot of options, hard to find the good settings :p)
    and Genesis is using Uber Surface.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited July 2013

Szark said:

On mine the Genesis 1 character is V5 using the default skin which apparently does use SSS. The SSS shading rate is the default of 32.

Genesis 2 Female is also using the default skin and her SSS shading rate is also 32.

On the Genesis I can see this line in the viewport as well as on the render. The line on the head appears to be where the face skin meets the head skin surface.

I tried adding a default M5 to the scene and I'm not seeing it on him either.

His SSS shading rate was set to 128 so I tried changing the V5 to that but it didn't seem to have any effect.

EDIT TO ADD: M5 is using the omHumanSurface shader. V5 & G2F are both using omUberSurface for the skin.

Seams2.png
    1280 x 1280 - 147K
    Post edited by Sisca on
    edited December 1969

MickyBel you will need to trawl through and find these settings in order to change them so I am going to presume they are the same as Sisca's above.

If I remeber correctly the SSS Shading Rate and SSS Scale will need adjusting toegther, Sorry I a little distracted today.

I am also sorry that this will be trail and error as I cannot test it myself and it has been a while since I did any of this.

SSS Shading rate try a value of 2.00 - 16.00
    SSS Scale try a value of 0,10 - 0.50

edited December 1969

Made a little error in my description ... Genesis 2 character is Victoria 6.

With shading rate at 0.01, Genesis 2 Female works fine now, not Victoria 6 maps.
    Genesis 2 with default textures (ubersurface) works ok.

Here is a picture of Victoria 5, Genesis 2 Female & Michael 5 using shading rate 0.01.

So, my issue appears with Victoria 6 Maps (AoA_Subsurface).

v5-g2-m5-shading001.png
    1010 x 913 - 129K
    edited December 1969

Ok with V6 (Genesis 2) you have a quick Skin selection function that we didn't have before in the Surfaces Pane see image below.

Scroll down and find Shading Rate and Shading Scale. Try lowering it down to say 2 or 3 and see if that fixes the issue. If Shading Scale is at 0.10 then leave it.

AOASSSscale.jpg
    622 x 915 - 281K
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok with V6 (Genesis 2) you have a quick Skin selection function that we didn't have before in the Surfaces Pane see image below.

Scroll down and find Shading Rate and Shading Scale. Try lowering it down to say 2 or 3 and see if that fixes the issue. If Shading Scale is at 0.10 then leave it.

Tested with Shading Rate 2 and Scale 0.10.

A little better but still seeing meshes.

-v6-shade2-scale010.jpg
    1097 x 913 - 47K
    edited December 1969

I think you might have to test different values. I am trying to remember if the SSS Shading Rate needs inceasing or decreasing the further away the mesh is from the camera Oh my ole brain is just not working today.

edited July 2013

Szark said:
    I think you might have to test different values. I am trying to remember if the SSS Shading Rate needs inceasing or decreasing the further away the mesh is from the camera Oh my ole brain is just not working today.

No problem I'll do some tests,
    thanks for the big help : )

edited December 1969

Cheers. I am positive we are in the right area as I had this myslef but with me doing close ups I had SSS Shading Rate at 2.00 and SSS Shanding Scale at 0.10 and it fixed the issue. But this was with UberSurface and OmniSurface which are in essence they same shader Sisca.