upgrade from 7?

thomllamathomllama Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

isn't there a slight discount to upgrade from carrara 7 pro to 8 pro? can't find in store,.. no links... been supporting carrara ,.. well since it was Ray Dream studio but couldn't afford to upgrade til now (and still kinda strapped for $ but.. I love carrara :) )

anyway.. is there no upgrade pricing anymore?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

The best thing to do is to contact DAZ 3D via the zendesk support system, citing Sales dept as the relevant dept. THey have been helpful to others in this position.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • thomllamathomllama Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

cool, thanks

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The best thing to do is to contact DAZ 3D via the zendesk support system, citing Sales dept as the relevant dept. THey have been helpful to others in this position.

I think your advice is good, but this is yet another indication of DAZ' lack of ... support? love? something ... for Carrara. As is the recent lack of new products usable in Carrara 8.1 (the latest production release). DS and DSON Importer only, not even a Poser version. Makes it hard for us Carrara fans to decide to renew the PC membership.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

thomllama

You may want to wait for the release of Carrara 8.5,. (when there's usually some sort of promotion of that release)

Steve-K

I hear you, but the DSON core can be used in poser (9 and above) with the DSON importer for Poser.
    Building DSON support into carrara, is what much of the development process of Carrara 8.5 has been for.
    plus,. making Carrara work on mac's new OS flavours.

Smith Micro chose to adopt some of the genesis technology,. but have implemented their own Weight mapping,. so it's less likely that you'll see product which are using the genesis system,. and also have separate versions which use the Poser system.
    that's not Daz3D's fault.

This is a choice for the developers of content,. and the wish to sell those products in the largest market.

so they make what will sell,. Daz doesn't force anyone to make products in any specific way, or for any specific application.

PC membership offers discounted products, and sneak previews,. but isn't application dependent,. it's choice you can make,. or not.

think about how many Bryce PC products there are,. most of the products are DS / Poser,. but,. can also be used in other applications, including Bryce and Carrara.

:)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Building DSON support into carrara, is what much of the development process of Carrara 8.5 has been for.

That sounds good.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    chohole said:

I think your advice is good, but this is yet another indication of DAZ' lack of ... support? love? something ... for Carrara. As is the recent lack of new products usable in Carrara 8.1 (the latest production release). DS and DSON Importer only, not even a Poser version. Makes it hard for us Carrara fans to decide to renew the PC membership.

It has to be done via the support system, since many of the upgrades require a proof of purchase of some kind, like e-mailing a receipt.
    Then there are at least 12 upgrade paths, from C6, C7, Standard/Pro/Express for PC/non-PC members which would have been a bunch store items that just is too difficult to navigate.

PC membership should be interesting when Carrara 8.5 is released...

edited December 1969

3drendero said:

It has to be done via the support system, since many of the upgrades require a proof of purchase of some kind, like e-mailing a receipt.
    Then there are at least 12 upgrade paths, from C6, C7, Standard/Pro/Express for PC/non-PC members which would have been a bunch store items that just is too difficult to navigate.

I would have thought the major upgrade of the website to a "purpose built" structure could handle this. Even if some special cases required special handling, the original question involved a simple upgrade from C7 to C8. Check out the E-On Software site (Vue), they manage with a much more complicated mix.

PC membership should be interesting when Carrara 8.5 is released...

I'm pretty skeptical, see my post in the Animation Forum under Ivy's Animations. But I'll try to keep an open mind.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    3drendero said:

I would have thought the major upgrade of the website to a "purpose built" structure could handle this. Even if some special cases required special handling, the original question involved a simple upgrade from C7 to C8. Check out the E-On Software site (Vue), they manage with a much more complicated mix.

I agree.
    The old website didn't seem to have trouble with this.
    I remember seeing upgrade prices back then.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:

The old website didn't seem to have trouble with this..

That is the most profound statement I have ever read here at DAZ.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I agree. I understand that when implementing a huge change in infrastructure there are going to be things that are delayed or missed. The pricing issue is something that has been going on since the site upgrade. I have seen numerous threads asking about this price issue or that price issue, and almost all have been solved by contacting DAZ sales. You would think that would raise some red flags somewhere.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree. I understand that when implementing a huge change in infrastructure there are going to be things that are delayed or missed. The pricing issue is something that has been going on since the site upgrade. I have seen numerous threads asking about this price issue or that price issue, and almost all have been solved by contacting DAZ sales. You would think that would raise some red flags somewhere.

There are people like me, who have not upgraded because of this. When there is a good sale on an upgrade, I want to see the price, not have to ask for it. I also don't want to wait a day or two for them to email a serial number.

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    tsarist said:

The old website didn't seem to have trouble with this..

That is the most profound statement I have ever read here at DAZ.

The new website also supports the same drop down list of several versions for the same item, it was used for the 3-month split payment option.

I was happy with emailing a question and getting a quick response by a nice sales person that told me what to do.

edited December 1969

sjhayes2 said:

There are people like me, who have not upgraded because of this. When there is a good sale on an upgrade, I want to see the price, not have to ask for it. I also don't want to wait a day or two for them to email a serial number.

You are in luck, the current Victoria 6 Carrara shaders campaign is AWESOME!
    Carrara 8 Pro for 116$ is CHEAPER than any upgrade pricing I have ever seen.
    I upgraded from C7Pro and paid more.

Monthly PC-coupon or SAVE-5 may save you a few bucks more.

More details here:
    http://carraracafe.com/victoria-6-carrara-shaders-30-off-and-carrara-8-pro-40-off/
    http://www.daz3d.com/dp-victoria-6-carrara-shaders

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited December 1969

Even more luck:
    Britney is good fun to speak with! Give her a call - she'll set you up!
    No lack o' Love there!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,428
    edited December 1969

You'll have to submit a support ticket.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Okay... Okay! I got carried away. Sorry for all the ringing Britney... my bad!
    Well if things were done my way.... lol
    edited July 2013

An answering service now takes the call and submits a support ticket for you.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Okay... Okay! I got carried away. Sorry for all the ringing Britney... my bad!
    Well if things were done my way.... lol

If everyone could just ring Britney she and the team would be forever on the phone and would never have time to sort out all the tickets.

edited December 1969

Britney is fantastic to deal with whether email or on the phone.

edited December 1969

Absolutely! She knows me by voice now! lol
    But it's been a long time (as you can tell - never knew about the recording thingy) since I've called. Guess I'll have to get a taxi to Utah.
    I want to go there and make my infamous stir fry for everyone while Rosie runs the grill. Set up a keg... good times to be had by all!
    Can you tell I'm in Wisconsin? Everything revolves around food and drink and good times! lol