USS Enterpise for Poser and DAZ Studio

And another Star Trek model is available for free at Vanishing Point: the USS Enterprise (for Poser) and USS Enterprise (for DAZ Studio), as seen in Star Trek: Discovery.

* Poser figure/ DAZ Studio prop, with 71,871 polygons.
* Not scaled to the size of the Poser/ DAZ figures.
* Panel lines and other details are modelled into the mesh.
* The nacelle turbines can rotate, with a dial on the Body.
* The hangar bay doors do not open and there is no interior.
* Texture map with hull coloring and the name of the ship, at 4096x4096 pixels.
* Poser version uses Poser shaders and DS version uses Iray shaders.

For use in Poser 6 and above or DAZ Studio 4.9 with Iray and above.

Original model by Chris Kuhn and converted with his permission.

USSEnterpriseDSC_DS1.jpg
600 x 600 - 129K
USSEnterpriseDSC_DS2.jpg
600 x 600 - 135K

Comments

• SkelchSkelch Posts: 275

Wow this thing looks fantastic I cannot thank you enough!

• Tim NTim N Posts: 193

Agreed. This is wonderful. Very many thanks, VanishingPoint. smiley

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,445

Thank you smiley

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

Honestly, I was not expecting this one.

Thanks!

Given it was shown ever so briefly in the season finale and was in motion for most of the sequence, how accurate is this model?  (Not that ir really matters.)  Were official "orthos" ever revealed more clearly showing the details, or did Kuhn have to speculate about certain features?

Sincerely,

Bill

• Chris Kuhn created the model based on screen shots and I don't think anyone has released any official otho shots. There was a discussion in the 3D Sci-Fi Renders group on Facebook about how he complained about having to only use a screen shot as reference since the camera angle distorted the shape of the nacelle supports.

I'm sure he'll update his model when Eaglemoss releases their metal miniature or Revell releases a plstic model. And I think the Enterprise will be in the next season of Star Trek: Discovery, so maybe an update will come out then. smiley

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

This is lovely. Thank you!

Question, what section of the .CR2 code should I edit so that I can get the nacelle "turbines" to counter-rotate?  As released, when that body dial is adjusted, both turbines rotate in the same direction.  I would like to have the starboard turbine spin clockwise and the port turbine to spin counter-clockwise when the control dial is moved in the positive number range.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Haven't really looked at this one yet, but I was wondering:  Is there an easy, built-in way to change out the ship name and NCC number on it to other ships in the Constitution class?  I.e the Defiant or the Farragut?

• Redfern said:

Question, what section of the .CR2 code should I edit so that I can get the nacelle "turbines" to counter-rotate?  As released, when that body dial is adjusted, both turbines rotate in the same direction.  I would like to have the starboard turbine spin clockwise and the port turbine to spin counter-clockwise when the control dial is moved in the positive number range.

You could open the cr2 in a text editor, search for the word "Turbines" (the name of the dial), then in the code for the Left Turbine or Right Turbine, set the deltaAddDelta to 1. Both turbines' deltaAddDelta is -1 so setting one of them to 1 will make them rotate opposite each other.

I'm not sure how to do this inside of DAZ Studio since there doesn't seem to be a way to edit this value. I even tried opening the duf file in a text editor and I still couldn't find it. wink

Haven't really looked at this one yet, but I was wondering:  Is there an easy, built-in way to change out the ship name and NCC number on it to other ships in the Constitution class?  I.e the Defiant or the Farragut?

Changing the name and registry is fairly easy: just open the "USSEnterpriseDsc_name.png" file in an image-editting program such as Photoshop and add your own name and number. Make the sure file is saved as a png with a transparent background. More detailed instructions are found in the readme file. wink

• Redfern said:

You could open the cr2 in a text editor, search for the word "Turbines" (the name of the dial), then in the code for the Left Turbine or Right Turbine, set the deltaAddDelta to 1. Both turbines' deltaAddDelta is -1 so setting one of them to 1 will make them rotate opposite each other.

I'm not sure how to do this inside of DAZ Studio since there doesn't seem to be a way to edit this value. I even tried opening the duf file in a text editor and I still couldn't find it. wink

Property Hierarchy. The quick way is to right-click in the parameters pane and select Edit Mode, is it isn't, then right-click on either the master control or the turbine bone's rotate cotnrol and select Show In Property Hierarchy, then click the trinagles to expand to show the ERC link (under Controllers if you are looking at the Turbine rotate, under Sub-components if you are looking at the master control) and then its attributes, click the value to edit it.

Redfern said:

Thanks!  Changing the left turbine "deltaAddDelta" from -1000 to 1.000 did the trick!  Now when i increment the "turbines" dial to positive values, the starboard turbine spins clockwise as before, but now the port turbine spins counter clockwise much like the arrangement of the 1960s filming miniature.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,740

You're very generous. There is some fantastic stuff there.

• Have the files.   How to insall them?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Property Hierarchy. The quick way is to right-click in the parameters pane and select Edit Mode, is it isn't, then right-click on either the master control or the turbine bone's rotate cotnrol and select Show In Property Hierarchy, then click the trinagles to expand to show the ERC link (under Controllers if you are looking at the Turbine rotate, under Sub-components if you are looking at the master control) and then its attributes, click the value to edit it.

Aha! I keep encountering then losing track of this tip — I've now fixed the Big E model, and I this gives me clues on how to fix some otherwise excellent Poser-format goodies that load into D|S with half of the ERC links set up backwards. Apparently the coding works in Poser, but in D|S, if I follow the chains, some of the ERC links work against each other; there's a little quiver as something starts to move, then the whole thing folds up like soggy origami.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,023

Have the files.   How to insall them?

Unzip the folder and take a look at what is there. All 3 of the folders in the D/S download would go directly under My Library.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,596

Nice work! Thank you

• Thank you. 

I just have figure how to install it.