Converting Genesis hair to Genesis 2

DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Sorry if this has already come up. Can't read the forums for long even on days when I can read them at all, and all the search I've been able to manage hasn't found anything. If it's already been discussed/answered I'd be grateful for a link.

Putting Genesis Hair on Genesis 2 Female ...

Given the nature of Genesis and Genesis 2 Female, it seems to me that DS should be able to fit/convert Genesis hair to Genesis 2 Female without e.g. losing all the bones in a boned ponytail on the hair. However if I fit e.g. the V5 Elite ponytail to Genesis 2, autofit comes up, the hair shape is adjusted to G2F, but the figure is completely re-skeletoned, losing the ponytail bones and rigging.

Now, I can understand (-ish) why that has to happen with e.g. V4 conforming hair, but I don't understand it with specifically Genesis hair which DS knows (or is told) is Genesis hair being fitted to G2F. It really should not be beyond the wit of DS to just make the slight adjustments to the hip>head bones, do the small morph, and make the small (and fixed) adjustment to any extra bones the hair may have, like for ponytails, braids or bangs.

Is there really no way to do this, or am I missing something?

(N.B. Yes, I know one can treat conforming hair as a prop, manually translate, scale etc and then parent to the head, but that's not what I'm talking about here. DS OUGHT to be able to convert Genesis conforming hair to G2F, not require manual kludging and parenting.)

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

This actually applies to ALL Genesis clothing, not just Genesis hair. The G->G2F transfer tool is terrible; it behaves no differently than Gen4->Genesis in my experience. It throws away and replaces all rigging, throws away all rigidity and custom weight maps, etc., and just gives you the weight map and rigging from the selected projection. You'd think they'd be able to do something more intelligent going from WM->WM, but they don't. End result: most transfers look like a big steaming pile and are unusable, even with a hefty amount of the smoothing modifier applied.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

And another thing (or, in fact, a related thing):

Did it not used to be possible to fit an item to e.g. Genesis while saying 'No' to autofitting? I've often found in the past that some items can be conformed/fitted to figures they weren't meant for still quite usefully - clothes etc for S3, D3 and sometimes H3 and A3 on others out of that group, as their rigging is almost the same, and worked in many cases just with a morph for the other figure added.

I would like to find out what would happen with one of these hairs if I put a G2F morph in Genesis, from there have it added into the hair, and then just conform the hair to G2F and dial up the G2F morph. I'm wondering if the hip, abdomen, abdomen2, chest , neck, head rigging is close enough to work as is, or maybe with some easy slight adjustment. But if I try any 'Fit To' of a hair to G2F autofit pops up. The wording makes it sound as if you can proceed with the Fit To while saying 'no' to it trying to convert, but the only options are 'yes' and 'cancel', and 'cancel' quits the whole 'fit to', not just the autofit. So I can't seem to try conforming without autofit. Tried with the Transfer tool as well, but still got the hair re-boned.

This is silly. It really should be possible for a tool to adjust Genesis matching bones to G2F while leaving other bones, adding a simple offset where necessary.