June 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Scenes and Landscapes

Comments

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

I just want to take a second to share something that might inspire someone--this series of photos shows some really wonderful landscape images. Who knows but it may prove helpful to someone.

• Here we are with version D. Still trying to think about the godray idea with out postwork (Think I have something in my library that can help but I'll have to check.)

Thought to myself what is a rain storm without the lightning?  But as you can see said bolt set off a gas leak causing a nasty blast as a result.

june2018d.png
    1072 x 750 - 1M
  • sueyasueya Posts: 827

I have now added some shadows using a Sky dome and Sun from Light Dome Pro. I hope these shadows look more real. The girl is now sitting in shade and the horse seems to be the main focus of the scene. I hope the proportions look better.

HorseGirlversion4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 173K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,861

@sueya this has developed a great way! There are some small details that catch my eye. There is a grass bush right in front with the tree that seems floating or something else, at least it creates an odd bit of shadow.

The backdrop catches shadow from the table. To avoid that you coudl try to move the backdrop quite a lot further back. You might need to blow it up in size a bit (or a lot) if you then add a little bit of Depth of field to your scene so the background is slightly blurred out and the most front set things as well. Shout out if you need a pointer how to do that.

Here we are with version D. Still trying to think about the godray idea with out postwork (Think I have something in my library that can help but I'll have to check.)

Thought to myself what is a rain storm without the lightning?  But as you can see said bolt set off a gas leak causing a nasty blast as a result.

This has improves a lot as well, I leke ho the rain catches some of the light and how you now can see that the sign meant to say Hotel but only the hot is still lit, that is a great catch.

I like the addition of the lightning strike as well, for the bloom it would wor a bit better if the bloom radius was a bit reduced but the intensity higher. the question is if that would still work with the rest of the lights you have. The yellow explosion seems a bit too much in size and light, I understand its supposed to be blinding but its hard to get the eyes to the other places in the render. Probably god down with the light there a bit?

Everybody, I know landscapes are a scary topic but its really worht taking a jab at it, and there are lots of different ways to go about it. You coudl go for underwater or a space scene out of the window of a starship. You could use a very basic ground prop and dial it up large with the y scale completely over the top, results in mountains. Use the dust that you will see in a distance and the the Depth of field to cover places that would look wonky from close up, experiment with extreme formats, play with lens distortions.

If you take a look at this render: There is one road ground and a house and the gate of a house, then there is a sky HDRI

So don't be afraid, just take a jump

• Linwelly said:

Here we are with version D. Still trying to think about the godray idea with out postwork (Think I have something in my library that can help but I'll have to check.)

This has improves a lot as well, I leke ho the rain catches some of the light and how you now can see that the sign meant to say Hotel but only the hot is still lit, that is a great catch.

I like the addition of the lightning strike as well, for the bloom it would wor a bit better if the bloom radius was a bit reduced but the intensity higher. the question is if that would still work with the rest of the lights you have. The yellow explosion seems a bit too much in size and light, I understand its supposed to be blinding but its hard to get the eyes to the other places in the render. Probably god down with the light there a bit?

Thanks for your coments @Linwelly, I'll have to remember to take a look when I get home from work this evening because if I were to take a look now I'd miss my bus.

Anyway the lightning and the resulting explosion were both from the same atmospheric camera set, so I should be able to do a few tweeks with them, and see about looking at the bloom settings.

• Here's version E. I moved the explosion  lower so it should look smaller (The darn prop was floating in the air as it turned out.) and cut the radius setting of the bloom filter in half.

june2018e.png
    1072 x 750 - 1M

Nice Shiinji! this is easier to look at but the effect is still good.

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited June 2018

I'm still working on the composition. And I really hope DAZ will give Bryce the same treat, they give Hexagon currently. These controls are unintuitive when you are used to Studio.  The Dragons are now more in the forground and I hit the limits of the free textures I think. Also I find the picture a little bit sparse. Any suggestions for high quality software add ons or props?

Jun2018_02.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 582K
    Post edited by HighElf on
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,953
    edited June 2018

Here it is blush. I have renderend lots of scenes mostly done by Alymac I got from SharecCG http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=alymac I hope that it is ok. I have read trough rules and was thinking to do some postwork but rules says nothing about it and I think I remember that it was ok but if not the main focus of picture. I will yet have to watch those Bryce video tutorials, they seem to be good, I know basics I guess and maybe later after I watch tutorial videos I will give it another try :)

Valley Falls.jpg
    2012 x 823 - 755K
    Forest Sunlight.jpg
    2012 x 825 - 832K
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
    HighElf said:

I'm still working on the composition. And I really hope DAZ will give Bryce the same treat, they give Hexagon currently. These controls are unintuitive when you are used to Studio.  The Dragons are now more in the forground and I hit the limits of the free textures I think. Also I find the picture a little bit sparse. Any suggestions for high quality software add ons or props?

Did I miss something, are they updating Hexagon?

Now I need to ask, are you looking for add ons or props for bryce or for DS.

Free textures, do you mean for the dragons or the landscape

I'm a bit confused right now

Here it is blush. I have renderend lots of scenes mostly done by Alymac I got from SharecCG http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=alymac I hope that it is ok. I have read trough rules and was thinking to do some postwork but rules says nothing about it and I think I remember that it was ok but if not the main focus of picture. I will yet have to watch those Bryce video tutorials, they seem to be good, I know basics I guess and maybe later after I watch tutorial videos I will give it another try :)

Milos, I like the two renders, especially the way the light works in the second one. What I miss are the shadows that the light should cast in the second one.

Postwork to a certain degree is no problem, you got that right, just the focus should be the 3d work

Now, I assume you are experimenting with bryce as well?

I guess I should call in @Chohole who knows far more about bryce than I will ever do, to give some advice

edited June 2018
    Linwelly said:
    HighElf said:

Did I miss something, are they updating Hexagon?

Now I need to ask, are you looking for add ons or props for bryce or for DS.

Free textures, do you mean for the dragons or the landscape

I'm a bit confused right now

They updated Hexagon recently to 64bit and with a working bridge ;)

I'm looking for add ons and props for bryce. And with the textures I mean the included content of bryce 7 pro.

I'm thinking of createing some clutter into the picture, to make it look less artificial.

HighElf said:
    Linwelly said:

They updated Hexagon recently to 64bit and with a working bridge ;)

I'm looking for add ons and props for bryce. And with the textures I mean the included content of bryce 7 pro.

I'm thinking of createing some clutter into the picture, to make it look less artificial.

And I didn't notice it, why thanks for the info :D.

Unfortunately I really don't know my way around Bryce; so i cant really give you much help there.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2018

MilosGulan     Any video tutorial by David Brinnen  is going to be a good one.  He has a great many on You Tube
    Bryce Tutorials

David Brinnen and others tuts and stuff              and More DB Tuts      and Even more

David Brinnen, Horo and Estevezall in the Bryce store are a great source of paid for content

The advantage of using content such as is in these stores is that not only is it completely legit what is being shared,  they gove great instructions, especially Horo and David.   David also make models for DS, so take care, altjhough of cours you can include DS models in a Bryce scene, either using the bidge, or exporting an OBJ and importing that into Bryce.

I will see if I can persuade Horo to come talk to you both MilesGulan and HighElf.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,365

MilosGulan and HighElf - great to see that you use Bryce for this Scenes and Landscapes challenge. The Bryce community is very helpful so if you look for some specific help, just open a thread in the Bryce forums. It is very difficult to help - in whatever program - without specific questions. There are hundreds of videos and chances are that you get overwhelmed and lost. Though I list a couple of videos (some feature transcripts) on my website, the most comprehensive list I know is at www.bryce-tutorials.info.

As Chohole says, David Brinnen and myself (we teamed up for many escapades): our sets come with indepth instructions as videos and documents. As much as we like to sell our products, don't get hasty. There are also tutorials that come with the Bryce package, and some free resources as well - and I have a few free resourced on my website, too.

I'm looking forward seeing you in the Bryce Discussion, eager to help you where I can.

Overwhelming is exactly what what I experience with bryce, as a software, right now. ;)

Those tutorial list are great, and I will make my take on them in the near future. XD Thank you @Chohole and @Horo.

I love that I can use my Studio assets in Bryce, like the Dragon3 figures here. And the method I use for the landscape is indeed, a method I got from a tutorial by Brinnen. Currently I struggle more with landscapes as a picture motive, and the fact that Bryce is so different compared to what I'm used to.

I will definitly work with Bryce more and I hope that it will get some developer love in the future, so that the daz bridge will work for more complex meshes and groups. Right now it has the tendency to crash, at least for me. :)

I have been using Bryce for some time so I have learned basics, but I have to admit that I am far from being good. I think I should watch those videos and then try again. One thing that I have just discovered is that I can render many Bryce scenes at the same time and I did 4 today. Also I have painted 4 double doors in my parents house on the first floor so I am tired a lot now :) and after cup od cocoa will rest.

I will ask surely and come to Bryce forums, as I really wish to improve my knowledge. I just need to try to make my own scenes. I will try adding something to the scenes, and for shadows :) yeah that is missing but I am not that good with Bryce yet :)) It seems I will have to look trough tutorials first and also I will need to update my Hexagon and start using it finaly. I mostly try to make fantasy looking scenes, with some story but for now I need to learn to do it good. Thanks for help wink

BTW   we also have a Challenge in the Bryce forum, and we have a special prize fopr best New User, so you could also try your luck with that.  This time the challenge them is "My Secret Garden" and there is about 6 weeks to go.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited June 2018
    HighElf said:
     And with the textures I mean the included content of bryce 7 pro.

Hello Hi Elf. Sorry time is short for me at the moment but If you have recently purchased Bryce 7 Pro, you may have not downloaded or installed the Extra content made by David Brinnen that contains many excellent materials for all sorts of stuff from metals to terrains and special FX. Most of these are superior to the regular Bryce textures and materials.

The attachments below show where to find them if they are installed, and what to download from your product library (in your DAZ account) if you haven't already done so.

If you need help installing them, I'll try to keep up with this thread to help you through it.

If you want to see some of my work, please feel free to have a look at my Gallery here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/15896/

Hope this helps. :)

ProMats.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 428K
    TerrainMats.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 461K
    ProContentDownload.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 504K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited June 2018

Jepp, the materials weren't proper installed. -_- Thank you very for the tip here. :)

Finally I could start with the trees. The Tree Lab is a totally different beast. That's the current state, ANd I hope I can fill the scene with some more trees soon. ;)

June2018_03.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 573K

So glad some Bryce savants are coming here to help, good to see you found the materials!

• sueyasueya Posts: 827

I have moved the scenery further back so that it doesn't intersect with the bench. I have extended the haze because I haven't quite mastered the  DOF on the camera yet. If there is a free  DOF camera I can use to help me set it up please let me know. I may find time to learn more about DOF before the end of the month.

@sueya there is no need to buy anything for dof, it comes with the program. you need to go to your camera tab (if you rednered through perspective until now, you first need to create a new camera and click for using the selected active view of preview) in the camera settingy you will find the button depth of field DOF turned to off. click it on and then you need to adjust the distance to the place you want sharp. I believe there was a quick tutorial on that, I will post a link once I find it.

yes, take a look at this one https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3444206/#Comment_3444206

edited June 2018

Ok here it goes, I have just added Elven Row Boat. I will call it Elven Valley Falls. Now I will try to watch tutorials and do something more withthe next picture :)

Elven Valley Falls.jpg
    2012 x 823 - 755K
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Ok here it goes, I have just added Elven Row Boat. I will call it Elven Valley Falls. Now I will try to watch tutorials and do something more withthe next picture :)

Hmm, I think, the water need some reflection from the skydome. Until now, it looks like the boat lies on the grass ground, because the water is hard to recognize.

edited June 2018
    daybird said:

Hmm, I think, the water need some reflection from the skydome. Until now, it looks like the boat lies on the grass ground, because the water is hard to recognize.

I think he would be better to use a different mat on the foreground water, the reflections are there, but not obvious,   Maybe even a different sky so there is more light towards the front.  At the moment the waterfall is glowing but the foreground is very dark,

I don't have too many images in galleries with water falls,  but in this one you can see that the foreground water is similar to the colour of the waterfall,

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,365

The sun seems to be behind the mountain and/or the scene is lit by SkyDome only. Try to move the sun around so it lights the landscape. The water may become better.

edited June 2018

Boat is on the ground (edit or maybe not, but I was thinking that it is laugh). I think picture look good and I like how water is green :). I am not sure what would happen if I change the sky, I might try it sometime later but now I just finished first day on my new work as a lifeguard on a beach and I am really tired because we are trying to open the beach and prepare things there. Maybe I will do it soon depending on my free time.

But definitely would like to make pictures like that shown, and I was thinking that I need this too, will try to get it eventualy :) but anyway my wish is really to make nice pictures with Bryce in the future