Grandma's Hats

ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

When the doctors told Grandma she only had a short time to live, I decided to take a vacation with her so we could spend more time together and maybe do a little traveling.  One thing about Grandma was that she always wore a hat, no matter where she went.  She had boxes and boxes of hats.  After she passed, I helped to clean out her house.  I noticed a lot of the hats had wadded up newspaper in them.  I asked my Mom about that, and she told me that if Grandma liked a hat it didn't matter if it wasn't the right size, she would buy it and make it fit!  

Feeling a little nostalgic recently, I decided to share some of my photos of my vacation with Grandma.

Comments

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    edited May 2018

One day we decided to go to the horse track.  Grandma had never been before and wanted to see what it was all about.  I tried to explain to her that this was not the Kentucky Derby, but she insisted on wearing the biggest hat she could find.  Every race we would bet on different horses to make it sporting.  She would study the horses and would bet on one because he had a pretty face or if the horse had a 'precious' name.  Needless to say, when she won, her method of picking the winner was jokingly lorded over me, the loser.  I think she won $10 overall and I lost $20.  It was a great day.

GM Horse.jpg
    1188 x 792 - 285K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on
    edited May 2018

1889!  Grandma just couldn't get over that the Eiffel Tower was completed in 1889 for the World's Fair in Paris that year.  Then she was amazed when the tour guide told us that artists at the time wanted the Tower torn down.  I think her exact words were, "What a bunch of dummies".  Grandma had never been to Paris and especially enjoyed a croissant au chocolat in the morning (sometimes 2!).  And yes... we did go hat shopping in Paris.

GM 1899.jpg
    1188 x 792 - 394K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on
    edited May 2018

The only time I ever saw Grandma wear makeup was on a Sunday.  She would get all gussied up, and go to church.  It didn't matter if we were at home or away, Sunday was 'church day'.  Here we are in Moscow.  I think she enjoyed that day more than most because the services were held in Russian, her original language.

GM Sunday.jpg
    792 x 792 - 220K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on

Our trip to the Museum of Modern Art was fun.  Grandma loved the Grandma Moses paintings, shrugged at many of the works, and liked the Warhol Elvis painting so much she even bought a couple postcards of it.  Elvis was Grandma's favorite American singer.  It was not unusual for her to have the Elvis cable channel on tv in the background on a daily basis.  

This work, however, was one that Grandma did not care for.  I can still hear her - "That is Art?  Art?  That looks like someone at the school house was cleaning the chaulkboard and didn't do a very good job!  I would fire that cleaner!"  She does have a point there...

GM museum.jpg
    957 x 742 - 219K

We went to Universal Studios because Grandma wanted to see how movies were made.  The surprise of the day was that Grandma was chosen to play Granny Goose in a mockup of one of her favorite shows, 'The Fairytale Hour'.  Grandma had the crowd rolling with her over-the-top acting.  Here she is running away from the Big Bad Wolf.  After the mock up was finished, she beamed when two children came to her and asked for her autograph.

GM Goose.jpg
    521 x 728 - 144K

Christmas just wasn't Christmas without Grandma and her Czarina hat.  I guess Grandpa got it for her when they traveled to Moscow  many years ago.  It was a staple atop Grandma's head once the snow started falling.  Grandma never talked about her childhood.  It was not a pleasant memory.  

My only Christmas present that last year from Grandma was an apple.  She told me about growing up in Leningrad.  Her family was very poor.  She said people today don't appreciate what they have.  One year, when she was a little girl, the only thing she got for Christmas was an apple.  Today, she told me, apples are a 'dime a dozen', but getting that apple was the most wonderful Christmas gift in the world when she was a little girl.

I still have that apple in my freezer.

GM Xmas.jpg
    644 x 792 - 152K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

What a wonderful story about Grandma!!

I do hope there is going to be more to this story?

Each and every render is truely unique!!!

I just love Grandma's hats!

What a wonderful story about Grandma!!

I do hope there is going to be more to this story?

Each and every render is truely unique!!!

I just love Grandma's hats!

Thanks - I'm glad you liked it! laugh  I was re-arranging items last night and came across Hat Hat Hat... that I bot somewhere along the way.  I love those hats, so I stopped re-arranging and the 'vacation with Grandma' was born.  Unfortunately, as always happens, I got on a roll and it was 4 in the morning before I knew it, haha!  Otherwise Grandma would have gone to an old west town, and rafting, and who knows what else!  Lol 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

So fun!  I do hope you continue with the adventures!  And ya its amazing how time flies when playing in Daz lol

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Time sure does get away from you when your playing around in Daz Studio for sure. I know when I get the time to play I can spend hours either morphing or setting up a big scene for a contest or just to play around with the lights and posing etc......

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

Lovely memories.  Good idea to illustrate them like this.

themidget said:

Ohh wait... my grandparents were all dead before I was born - this is a total work of fiction so I could display various hats.

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287
    ItsCeo said:
    themidget said:

Ohh wait... my grandparents were all dead before I was born - this is a total work of fiction so I could display various hats.

My goodness, I'm so sorry.  I read too fast sometimes and miss important details.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    themidget said:
    ItsCeo said:
    themidget said:

My goodness, I'm so sorry.  I read too fast sometimes and miss important details.

Same here and I got all terry Eyed!

edited May 2018
    themidget said:
    ItsCeo said:
    themidget said:

Same here and I got all terry Eyed!

wink It's a great compliment that you thot it real.

Post edited by ItsCeo on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I love the story-I'm sure someone's grandma probably did exactly as you described! (Love the newspaper aspect.)  Nice job on the renders, my fav is the leaning tower. The camera angle and her expression is totally fun!