Was it just me or....

HeraHera Posts: 1,952

I had high hopes for a G8 _MALE_ this week, perhaps Gianni 8 or Leo 8 or perhaps Kimo 8. (As it seems that we are not getting any Asians this generation) 

And along comes Mika - a big let down! (Besides Mika is a Finnish MALE name)

Comments

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828
    Hera said:

I had high hopes for a G8 _MALE_ this week, perhaps Gianni 8 or Leo 8 or perhaps Kimo 8. (As it seems that we are not getting any Asians this generation) 

Also very disappointed.  Are we even going to get any mor male characters?  Or am I basically finished with purchasing other than for props, shaders, etc?

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,579

Genesis 3 got 12 males, Genesis 8 gets 6 males.

If Genesis 8 ends in July 2019, they can't release 1 male figure every month.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    NoahLGP said:

Somehow I fail to see the logic behind that statement. What should keep them from bringing out more than 12 males total?

edited May 2018
    NoahLGP said:

Somehow I fail to see the logic behind that statement. What should keep them from bringing out more than 12 males total?

I mean 12 months = 12 females, 6 males

12 males would mean 24 female figures.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • NoahLGP said:

Malibu Stacy with a New Hat sells every single time.

Sad, but true.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,570
    edited May 2018

It’s unsurprising. They seem to be dialing back on male releases.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,148
    edited May 2018

My Daz money is staying in my pocket for the forseeable future. I'll buy Luthbel's new wizard when it comes out - whenever that is - but nothing else. The Thorne stuff DEFINITELY does not trip the buy impulse and I'm not sure why Daz thinks we need so much of it when they all look alike. That's at least 3 Thornes already. WTF???

TBH, I'm getting kinda disgusted with the fare lately. Haven't even opened DS in days. Losing interest again. And the fact that we seem to be getting even less male content then we got in Genesis 3 isn't really helping.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    AllenArt said:

The Thorne stuff DEFINTELY does not trip the buy impulse and I'm not sure why Daz thinks we need so much of it when they all look alike. That's at least 3 Thrones already. WTF???

Laurie

My guess would be they sell really well... Idk they're not really my style either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JasonSWrenchJasonSWrench Posts: 379

I just posted this elsewhere, but we’ve now had three G8F figures since the last G8M (Penny, Edie, and Mika).

Maybe I’m alone, but I’ve seen myself really dialing back my DAZ spending in recent months. We rarely see a new G8M hair product outside of a new release unless it’s one designed for both males and females. I’ve been woefully disappointed so far with G8M. I get that it’s a business, but the market for male characters, clothing, and hair has to be larger than we see in the new releases.

J

• MardookMardook Posts: 291

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the drip feed of male content... clothing is very basic too, hardly any dforce clothing for the males. Generation 9 is probably going to be worse.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

I get that it’s a business, but the market for male characters, clothing, and hair has to be larger than we see in the new releases.

J

See this is why I always assume that the more I'm interested in something the less likely it is to be interesting to anyone else. I mean you can only tipsily evangelize the importance of Rameau in the context of music history and theory so many times before you realize that no one else cares.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965
    edited May 2018

No, the market for 3D males is actually probably much larger than the market for 3D females but those in the market niche get freebies and buy models at places like the Unity Asset Store and at prices that aren't supportive of DAZ 3D's and it's PAs needed profit margins.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,516

No, the market for 3D males is actually probably much larger than the market for 3D females

LOL   :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,570
    edited May 2018

The marketing for men’s stuff isn’t really all that great. To some extend the store just caters to the same niche over and over and over.

I really think they need to do a more toony but sexy male and I don’t mean Ollie or kory but something more like Tom O Finland’s pinup style....  muscular, toony, but very clearly adult and mature looking.   We have sexy female toons , but really the sexy males are kind of lacking and look juvenile.

That style would be popular with some demographics, but I’m not sure you could get a super brawny shape in that style with existing morphs... 

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited May 2018

Don't forget they are only core figures, the start point for PA/consumers creations.

Just I'm surprised the PAs don't extend the choice, I mean there is no Arab/Indian character like at Renderosity.

NoahLGP said:

Just I'm surprised the PAs don't extend the choice, I mean no Arab/Indian character like at Renderosity.

First law of IT business: never change a running system... or: don't try something new, if the same old - same old sells anyway

Not that I would like it.. but as long as the stuff gets bought, more of the same will get produced...

And I have to admit, I also belong to the group of people not needing "sexy male toons", as a look at my runtime shows: George, Old Chap, Ollie, Bolnnar the Dwarf, Orc Brute and a couple G8M from either PC+ or freebie sources - which gives me, with the morph programs, all the flexibility I need, for the stuff I want to do.

The list of females isn't that long either, though... and right now I'm still looking for G3F rather than G8F... or better, G3/8F, of which there are quite a few..

In the end, it's usually the extras that make be buy some new "generation" figure, like free pro packs of previous generations...

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

There's arabic characters at Rendo? (I admit, I have a hard time finding my way around there, even when using the search)

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited May 2018

We've had a few males over the last two months Jonah, Buster, etc), just not any that got the 'pro' treatment.  And a male Cyclops...

And we haven't broken the 'triplets' cycle for pro bundles yet (i.e. 1 male, 2 females in a group), which has held since Victoria 8, Olympia8 , Michael 8.  Note that Ollie came in 'early' in his triplets set, so we could theoretically get one more female before a male shows up and still maintain overall pattern/2 to 1 ratio.  Mika 8 is the first part of the 'triplet' if that makes any sense.

Michael 8 came in 'last' in his triplet set, Darius 8 was 4 weeks after Lucas 8 (not 6, so middle of triplet)) and 4  and Ollie 8 came 4 weeks after Edward 8.(hence start of triplet). 

I'd rather that we get a male in 2 weeks, though.We were on track to eventually break the '2F Pro+ to 1M Pro' ratio until this week... 2 consecutive Male Pro releases over the next month could theoretically happen, but that would be highly unusual, perhaps unprecedented.

---

I'm still rooting for Freak 8 (eventually).  Sure, Freak has been left behind since 5, but I can think of a lot of suitable (potential) items that would fit quite nicely into a Freak themed bundle.  Action poses that favor big dudes, appropriate outfits, and of course the addon characters. 

The Expendables comes to mind as one potential source of inspiration (a lot of those actors are older now, I'm referring to the 'theme/setting' mainly, as well as Arnold, etc.), Jason Mamoa (Aquaman) is rather ripped, Duane Johnson is also rather ripped these days (Furious movies, Jumanji, etc.). and others - yeah we still have a few 'big guys' making the rounds in movies these days.

Not to mention the Hulk (Bruce's alter ego).  Yeah, he's stylized, but the Freak is too...Dave Bautista (Drax in Guardians) is rather ripped too...

Also, can't forget She-Freak... Female bodybuilders and Hollywood don't seem to mix, but there are some rather ripped female bodybuilders.  Rhonda Rousey, while badass, isn't freakishly sized...And of course She-Hulk...

Yeah, there are body morphs for this (bodybuilder), but it's not the same as getting a named 'pro' character.

We have a bit over a year to go in the Genesis 8 cycle, so a late Freak 8 entry is entirely possible.  C'mon PA's, you know you want to...

wink

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,787

Thanks for starting this thread. It wasn't just you. The pattern Daz had established this generation was 2 females, then a male, or so I thought. But we have three females in a row, none of which I purchased (although buying the hairs from the Mika 8 Pro Bundle plus the additional hair is almost the same price as buying the Pro Bundle with the additional hair and one more item; so, I may just cave).

I'm still basing my male characters out of Genesis 3 because Ollie and Owen and Darius do not get me far enough away from the Michael/Lucas/Edward look for my goals, even with massive dial spinning using every morph pack available (unless I'm making a funny-looking [regular] guy, but it's hard to keep them looking real). Additionally, the male full head packs I've seen do not depart enough from the G8M Base's look to be useful.

But I have hopes that the 17th or 24th will bring us a non-stylized male without skin of wax.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,400
    Hera said:

+1

never tired to repeat it - after all, mantras & stuff are meant to be scanded until whatever wonder happens right - i'm sick of the total female overflow and the unacceptable lack of guys, especially G8M. and by guys, i don't mean ridiculous ugly toonies, geriatric cases or monsters, but good looking dudes (as a bonus, with correct textures even there where the sun doesn't shine). what's even less acceptable is the lack of official G8 Asian males, way over half a year after the release of G8M. and srsly, Lee7 by himself (without additional characters) already wasn't a hit so i might maybe buy him in a megabargain sale like 70% or better, as a free gift (most figures/bundles coming as a bonus with daily sales are... chicks ofc, anyone surprised?) - otherwise i'm left with my old Lee6.. and bend-wise, yeah, sux compared to G8, even the shape is nice and the textures good :/

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I would love to see Gianni 8 come in as a more muscular, stocky man than the G7 one.  More like the G6.  I like my men to have some bulk to them and 95% of the current males for 7 and 8 are a  bit...ummm, on the more uh...not as manly side. (note, I'm trying not to offend with my choice of words)

• I would love to see Gianni 8 come in as a more muscular, stocky man than the G7 one.  More like the G6.  I like my men to have some bulk to them and 95% of the current males for 7 and 8 are a  bit...ummm, on the more uh...not as manly side. (note, I'm trying not to offend with my choice of words)

Just mix in a bit of George 8 with Ollie devil  EIther it will average out or... don't bother posting the render.

edited May 2018
    Carola O said:

There's arabic characters at Rendo? (I admit, I have a hard time finding my way around there, even when using the search)

At least I found one cheeky : G3M Raj by RedzStudio

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited May 2018

Was more wondering about g8m but g3m was also not something I had found before, have to take a look. Thanks Noah :)

Edit: Found him.. and ooohh, def gonna get him. Even if just for the skin, might have dialspin someone to use it on as I haven't quite gotten down to elarn how to transfer morhps lol (I have the thread bookmarked, jsuth aven't gotten time to learn)

Post edited by Carola O on

Just mix in a bit of George 8 with Ollie devil  EIther it will average out or... don't bother posting the render.

Doesn't work that well.. George is a bit extreme in his proportions. Turns out more blobby than stocky usually.

Instead of Freak 8 I'd rather have something more in the lines of Ivan - massive, but no Hulk, stocky, but no George. Something that could be dialed either way by adding some George - for more stocky - or hulkish . by adding some Kincaid (one of my favourites for a more muscular bodytype right now)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965
    edited May 2018

If you own the DAZ Original Body Morphs for G8 there is a 'stocky' morph that works quite well although I think they call it something different than stocky, maybe husky or some other euphemism.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Carola O said:

Was more wondering about g8m but g3m was also not something I had found before, have to take a look. Thanks Noah :)

Edit: Found him.. and ooohh, def gonna get him. Even if just for the skin, might have dialspin someone to use it on as I haven't quite gotten down to elarn how to transfer morhps lol (I have the thread bookmarked, jsuth aven't gotten time to learn)

Raj is one of my favorite characters, along with Shadowborn. Both by Redz for G3M, both totally awesome!

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,977

The marketing for men’s stuff isn’t really all that great. To some extend the store just caters to the same niche over and over and over.

I really think they need to do a more toony but sexy male and I don’t mean Ollie or kory but something more like Tom O Finland’s pinup style....  muscular, toony, but very clearly adult and mature looking.   We have sexy female toons , but really the sexy males are kind of lacking and look juvenile.

That style would be popular with some demographics, but I’m not sure you could get a super brawny shape in that style with existing morphs... 

Well I don't have much of a need for a heavily stylized figure, a Tom of Finland style pro bundle I would snatch up for the clothes options :D . I know, never going to happen, but we can dream!
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048

Regarding inder-represented demographics in the Pro bundle arena, yeah I'm thinking India gets overlooked a lot.  Considering they are the second largest country population wise, with a population roughly four times that of the US, yeah maybe it's time... BTW, China is (obviously) first, with the US of A coming in at #3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_(United_Nations)

• Hera said:

+1

never tired to repeat it - after all, mantras & stuff are meant to be scanded until whatever wonder happens right - i'm sick of the total female overflow and the unacceptable lack of guys, especially G8M. and by guys, i don't mean ridiculous ugly toonies, geriatric cases or monsters, but good looking dudes (as a bonus, with correct textures even there where the sun doesn't shine). what's even less acceptable is the lack of official G8 Asian males, way over half a year after the release of G8M. and srsly, Lee7 by himself (without additional characters) already wasn't a hit so i might maybe buy him in a megabargain sale like 70% or better, as a free gift (most figures/bundles coming as a bonus with daily sales are... chicks ofc, anyone surprised?) - otherwise i'm left with my old Lee6.. and bend-wise, yeah, sux compared to G8, even the shape is nice and the textures good :/

As long as people don't buy the existing male products in the same numbers as they buy female one, this will continue to happen. Just like folks insist that more needs to be made, but don't buy it for whatever reason, I will repeat this until it actually happens...