Getting more extreme camera angles

I like comic book  style extreme camera angles but they seem hard to achieve in studio... is it possible...For example getting a good camera view of a character on the floor looking up at a figure looming over them from the floor behind the head at eye level. I seem to have trouble achieving more extreme dramatic angles . Are there any tricks to getting more extreme angles using the camera.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,072
    edited May 2018

Are you lowering the camera's focal length setting? That boosts the perspective effect, at the expense of curving straight lines. Alternatively, since that will also exaggerate size decrease with distance, try the reverse and raise the Focal Length.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited May 2018

To get a view from the floor up you will need to hide the floor if the camera is below it.

Wide angle lenses will work although there will be edge distortion on the wider settings.

There is a section under Cameras/Lens called Lens Distortion which can straighten some lens distortion.

Here are two images. The first is directly through the camera set at a Focal Length of 15mm and low to, but not under, the floor. The second image is the same lens at, more or less the same place, using 

Lens Distortion Type - poly3

K1   -2.00

K3  -20.00

Scale  -5

I had to do some repositioning of the camera as the settings move it slightly. The settings I got were pure luck as I went through quite a few different scenarios and mixing settings to get those :)

I found a tutorial detailing the different settings but I can't find it now. I do remember that K1 is the top of the image, K2 the middle and K3 the bottom, or perhaps it is the reverse :) I have no idea what the other distortion types do other than they use different parameters to achieve the results. It is a long while since I played around with them so this is all from memory

Click on image for full size.

refusal-by-moonlight-002.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 486K
    refusal-by-moonlight-003.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 552K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Fishtales said:

To get a view from the floor up you will need to hide the floor if the camera is below it.

Wide angle lenses will work although there will be edge distortion on the wider settings.

There is a section under Cameras/Lens called Lens Distortion which can straighten some lens distortion.

Here are two images. The first is directly through the camera set at a Focal Length of 15mm and low to, but not under, the floor. The second image is the same lens at, more or less the same place, using 

Lens Distortion Type - poly3

K1   -2.00

K3  -20.00

Scale  -5

I had to do some repositioning of the camera as the settings move it slightly. The settings I got were pure luck as I went through quite a few different scenarios and mixing settings to get those :)

I found a tutorial detailing the different settings but I can't find it now. I do remember that K1 is the top of the image, K2 the middle and K3 the bottom, or perhaps it is the reverse :) I have no idea what the other distortion types do other than they use different parameters to achieve the results. It is a long while since I played around with them so this is all from memory

Wow. this is what I was looking for.... always at wide angle, there is lens distortion...Thank you!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,198
    edited May 2023

@Fishtales this is really interesting and helpful! Thanks for sharing your tip.

Post edited by barbult on