BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ♦♦♦♦♦.SUMMER EDITION ♦♦♦♦♦ "Beatiing the Heat" ~~~~~ WIP THREAD

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    Here's another one. A somewhat threatened Queen.

I wanted, and still want, to have the tiles in something else than just plain black and white, but I couldn't figure out how to do it, so any tips are welcome.

Tiles... well here's an old one by me. http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/checkered-tiles.html

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    Here's another one. A somewhat threatened Queen.

I wanted, and still want, to have the tiles in something else than just plain black and white, but I couldn't figure out how to do it, so any tips are welcome.

Coming on nicely, but I am not quite sure where the "beating the heat" is in that, or am I missing something subtle.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

"Coming on nicely, but I am not quite sure where the “beating the heat” is in that, or am I missing something subtle"
    Yes, fair enough comment...but then, where does 'beating the heat' come in to David's bean image or Sean's oriental image.

With, of course, full respect, and no offence intended, to David and Sean above - well established, and well respected contributors - I think the reason why such works as those from reserv888 (further respect, indeed, judging from this wondeful entry), the 'WIP' in the contest's title has simply become confused with the specific topic of 'beating the heat'.

I'm open to correction also, and clarification to subtleties above are invited.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    "Coming on nicely, but I am not quite sure where the “beating the heat” is in that, or am I missing something subtle"

Yes, fair enough comment...but then, where does 'beating the heat' come in to David's bean image or Sean's oriental image.

With, of course, full respect, and no offence intended, to David and Sean above - well established, and well respected contributors - I think the reason why such works as those from reserv888 (further respect, indeed, judging from this wondeful entry), the 'WIP' in the contest's title has simply become confused with the specific topic of 'beating the heat'.

I'm open to correction also, and clarification to subtleties above are invited.

Jay

I can stand you a correction, I should have pointed out that my bean image was not an entry but to answer a question of Jamies about 100's and 1000's. The ice images were for this topic.

• reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,126
    edited December 1969

@David. Thank you.

@chohole. As Jamahoney suspected. I totally missed there was a theme to this challenge. Do you want me to remove the pic?

@Jamahoney. You are so right.

edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    @David. Thank you.

@chohole. As Jamahoney suspected. I totally missed there was a theme to this challenge. Do you want me to remove the pic?

@Jamahoney. You are so right.

No don't remove the image. It's fine as long as I know and remember not to move it to the judging thread.

Jay David's image of srpinkles was to go with the icecream.

edited December 1969

Jay David’s image of srpinkles was to go with the icecream.

Cheers, chohole...I stand corrected, and apologies to David, of course. We can sometimes be 'awed' by the professionals (in every profession, and aspect of life), not to correct them...incorrectly...hahaaa ;)

Hmmm..should have been a philosopher :)

Jay

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Everyone's doing a fantastic job with the images. I hope to make an entry but I cannot promise. Keep it up everyone!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@reserv: Second image is really nice, especially the horse. A couple of bishops, a few pawns, and a castle would complete the set. Nice work.

And sprinkles on ice cream? Hmmm...now one of my favorites, but doable.

edited December 1969

@ reserv. Had another thought on your image. If you go for symbolism, and have one piece made of ice and one made of an obviously hot material such as lava then it could be beating the heat. So an Ice Knight (horse) and a Fire Queen ?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    where does 'beating the heat' come in to David's bean image or Sean's oriental image.

Finding a shady spot under trees, rather than being out in the full sun, was supposed to be a way to beat the summer heat. Perhaps it is not as effective as I thought... Hmm... ::grin:: Maybe I should have done an arctic scene.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

"Beating the heat" could be "winning the chess game against the intense competition"....

edited August 2013

Ah yes, see where you're coming from, Sean.

Have to admit, the 'beating the heat' title was a challenge proposed by..Franklin? for topical areas/ideas to present an image for said...etc. Initially, I had one of those battery, hand-held fans in mind cooling a face, but as I don't have any good heads,or faces ('cept my own ;) ), I went with the wind-blowing towels.

Perhaps, offerring some topical suggestions or ideas in this thread might help others for possible rendered works, as currently the images coming in are a bit slow.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Well, here is a modified entry to better match the theme of the challenge, as chohole suggested.

I am not sure it is better than the original but it was a lot harder (for me) to do.

So here is the Ice Queen threatend by the Fire Knight/Horse.

I had major problems with the fire on the horse. At first I tried to use David Brinnens different fires directly but that didn't work att all. You couldn't see it was a horse any more. So after a lot of experimenting I copied the different parts of the horse, made the new parts slightly larger than the originals, and applied Davids fires again, keeping both horses. I discarded the fire parts that didn't look good or was "to much".

I also decluttered the Queen a lot. Took away things that messed up the figure in the first rendition when almost all contrast was taken away.

By the way, it was hard to make her look like ice.... Any tips?

Ice_Queen_and_Fire_Horse_P.jpg
    600 x 450 - 237K
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    Well, here is a modified entry to better match the theme of the challenge, as chohole suggested.

I am not sure it is better than the original but it was a lot harder (for me) to do.

I had major problems with the fire on the horse. At first I tried to use David Brinnens different fires directly but that didn't work att all. You couldn't see it was a horse any more. So after a lot of experimenting I copied the different parts of the horse, made the new parts slightly larger than the originals, and applied Davids fires again, keeping both horses. I discarded the fire parts that didn't look good or was "to much".

I also decluttered the Queen a lot. Took away things that messed up the figure in the first rendition when almost all contrast was taken away.

Yes maybe, here Rareth seemed to come up with something as a result of a tutorial. See this post. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26012/P75/#388575

Also, yes, volumetrics are very tricky and don't often work well with mesh objects. Often it is better to apply them to Bryce primitive spheres and locate the spheres in and around your mesh.

Good work though, it's coming along nicely.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:

Yes maybe, here Rareth seemed to come up with something as a result of a tutorial. See this post. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26012/P75/#388575

Also, yes, volumetrics are very tricky and don't often work well with mesh objects. Often it is better to apply them to Bryce primitive spheres and locate the spheres in and around your mesh.

Good work though, it's coming along nicely.

how that ice material comes out Greatly depends on your lighting and how the sky is set up.

it is basically David's extreme negative material applied to the transparency channel, refraction is 153, and diffuse color is white with diffuse strength of 80.

edited December 1969

@David and Rareth. Very detailed instruction and a great looking Ice Dragon. That looks like the material I wanted to create.

I have a great problem understanding the Deep Texture Editor though. To me it's just wizardy so far. I don't grasp what the boxes do to each other. I have serached for some tutorial of DTE but have come up with none. There are lots of tutorials where the DTE is used, but I need a more basic understanding what it really does.

So, a link or something, to a tutorial of the fundamental mechanisms in the DTE would be greatly appreciated.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

DTE.pdf is an 84 page document (23 MB) that may be of help.

edited December 1969

Thank you Horo!

edited December 1969

@reserv: Amazon sells a book by Susan Kitchens and Victor Gavenda called Bryce 4. These two do not assume you know anything about Bryce, 4 or any version up to the present one, the information in that book applies to them all. I recently came across the section about the DTE and so far, it looks as though they realize you don't know anything about the DTE and start from scratch with their explanations. You might want to look into obtaining this book, if for nothing else then the section about the DTE.

edited December 1969

Real World Bryce 4, and it is the best book about Bryce ever printed.

edited December 1969

@ Horo, GussNemo and chohole. Thx for the tip about Real World Bryce 4. I have now ordered the book. Looking forward to the delivery...

edited December 1969

@reserv: You're more than welcome. I learn as much by helping as I do by reading.

edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    @ Horo, GussNemo and chohole. Thx for the tip about Real World Bryce 4. I have now ordered the book. Looking forward to the delivery...

You'll never regret it.
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

For those like me that can't afford to buy these awesome goodies, David's Tutorials, Horo DTE pdf (linked above) and Robin Wood's Demystifying the Deep Texture Editor are great free resources.

edited August 2013

@mermaid I bought it second hand from www.alibris.co.uk for around 17 USD. The book 1 USD, shipping 16 USD...

Since I haven't recieved it I don't know what condition it is in, but they claimed it was "as new". If that is remotely true, it is a very decent price. Where I live only one bookstore sold it and it was out of stock at the moment so I would have had to wait anyway. Their price was around 55 USD.

I agree that Horo's PDF-guide is a great help.

Thx for the tip about Robin Wood's "Demystifying the DTE". I will check it out.

Post edited by reserv888 on
    edited December 1969

For those like me that can't afford to buy these awesome goodies.

Yes, it can be quite costly, that book. It is only available as second hand and being in Europe, instead of having to pay the regular new price of $54.99 I was charged $100 until it was here. But the quality was impeccable (it has greatly suffered in my hands meanwhile) and the CD was also included.
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Lots of reasonably priced new and used copies available on the various national Amazon stores at the moment (plus some robotised chancers asking $598!).

Amazon US customers can acquire Real World Bryce 4 in good used condition for $0.01 (plus $3.99 shipping) from sellers of long standing high positive feedback scores.

Worth a punt, I'd say.

David's and Horo's (plus worthy others') tutorials and products offer a great supplement for later Bryce versions.

edited December 1969

I can't remember if the book I bought was New or like new, but it was in excellent condition when it arrived. It even had the CD attached to the back cover. It's probably the first book I've purchased that didn't start out thinking the reader knew what the author was talking about when a topic was presented. A lot of writers could take lessons from how the material in this book is presented.

edited August 2013

GussNemo said:
    I can't remember if the book I bought was New or like new, but it was in excellent condition when it arrived. It even had the CD attached to the back cover. It's probably the first book I've purchased that didn't start out thinking the reader knew what the author was talking about when a topic was presented. A lot of writers could take lessons from how the material in this book is presented.

Just FYI the Authors of the book were also involved in producing the official Bryce 4 manual, and the Real World book was designed to take up where the manual left of, basically. My manual was in Mint condition when I passed it on to someone else who had lost their copy somehow, but Real World is well thumbed and used frequently.

Post edited by Chohole on