BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ♦♦♦♦♦.SUMMER EDITION ♦♦♦♦♦ "Beatiing the Heat" ~~~~~ WIP THREAD

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Metaball flavoured ice cream anyone?

I'll call this a WIP for my second entry, but in reality I don't know if I'll have time to finish it.

IceCream99.jpg
    675 x 975 - 278K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Adding the chocolate pieces made it a proper ice cream cone. For a WIP it's nice.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

I hadn't have a chance to congratulate all participants of the previous month's contest so I'm doing it at the first place.

@TheSavage64, Rareth, Jamahoney
    What a yummy ice-cream you're posting :) Id eat all of these :D

Not to overdo tastyness... I've created something really less tasty this month. Nobody so far posted a good old-fashioned fan render, so here comes the image titled: 'The big S has hit the fan'

It's highly inspired by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4aSm4pVhBw
    I hope you'll forgive me one day this ***tty contest entry o.0

As for technical details:
    Rendered in Bryce 5.5
    Fan model: http://archive3d.net/?a=download&id=c8ac1518
    Motion blur is the real 3d one - not the postworked 2d filter. I've just rendered the rotating part 9 times and stacked the renders with varying opacity. Postwork only consists of colour correction, bloom, chromatic aberration, vignetting.

4_hires.png
    600 x 750 - 818K
    Post edited by dwsel on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, dwsel_

As for your own work...that's a load of crap (:)) Can you say 'crap' in this Forum? Oooopps!

Jay

• KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

@dwsel I really don't want to know.....really I don't.

Good render though!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Yummy ice cream, everyone.

Dave and Rareth, how did you get the perfect material for the cone and ice cream?

All the entries for this challenge are winners.

edited December 1969

Dave and Rareth, how did you get the perfect material for the cone and ice cream?

There is a bevel edged bump material in the Mat Lab that gives a uniform grid, then it;s just a case of setting up a good colour (I also added a second bump channel with a rough sand texture on it). Hope this helps :+)

My Ice cream started out life as Snow White Auto Paint (Metal folder in the pre set material library). From memory (I'm not at home at the moment so can't check), I set the global ambient to white and the ambient channel for the ice cream to a very pale blue(ish) and nudged it up until it looked about right.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Yummy ice cream, everyone.

All the entries for this challenge are winners.

mine is a volumetric material, started out as cotton ball I think (one of David's pro materials) with some tweaking and displacement done (and lots of Bryce not liking the displacement till I got it right..)

edited December 1969

@dwsel: I'm smirking and shaking my head all at the same time. It's that type of image. Nice job.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Beating the heat at the sea, a lake, with beverages or ice-creams. I propose to go up where the air is fresh and cool.

Products used:
    Jack Tomalin, Parkside train (modified)
    David Brinnen, Cloudscapes 5 (modified)
    David & myself, Islands 2 (Illhorn_SD_1280.hdr)

Additional detail: the HDRI used was made on top of the third peak from left.

MountainRange.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 390K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Beautiful image. It does look like it'd be cool and fresh up that high.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Thank you Guss. There are great entries to this competition.

edited July 2013

OK, Here's my final Render. All pertied up.

Beatin' the heat at the beach.

Products:
    Boat, Table, Chairs and Umbrela from ShareCG
    Wave Runner, Ducky, Cactis and Book from 3d Archive
    The Beautiful female, - Genesis 1 with stomach morphs and Nordic Hair

Beat_the_Heat.jpg
    1514 x 568 - 250K
    Post edited by Kyricus on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Wow Dave yummy ice cream from auto paint. lol Thank you for your reply, I will see if I can find the bevel edged bump in the mat lab.

Thanks Rareth, I have not tried displacement yet, actually I have no idea how it works except that it crashes Bryce.

There is so much to learn in Bryce.

Horo and Kyricus -lovely entries.

edited December 1969

Thanks Rareth, I have not tried displacement yet, actually I have no idea how it works except that it crashes Bryce.

The most helpful tip I have heard about Displacement is to make sure Bryce's 'priority' is set to 'Low'. For some reason this helps Bryce not to crash when you use displacement.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Rareth; The wave and the ice cream look good!!

Jay; those ice cream colors are cool!!

dwsel; The poo hitting the fan kinda sticks with you.....LOL

Kyricus; Great beach scene!!

Horo; Beautiful!!

Dave; I sure hope you get time to finish your ice cream!!!

We sure do have some wonderful renders this time!!!!

edited December 1969

@Kyricus: Nice scene, and a very good way to cool off.

@Trish: "...sticks with you." LOL

edited December 1969

@bullit and Trish...thanks for the comments.

Can you, or anyone, give me some Ideas on how I could make my blanket look more like a blanket than the cube it is? I tried a couple of different things, but it still looks like cube with a nice texture (which it is). Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney
    I've never been happier before from calling my artwork a piece of cr*p - well I'd say that's even multiple pieces of it scattered around :D

@kyricus, GussNemo
    Seeing all reactions is priceless :)

@bullit35744
    It seems I'll be sticking around to fan for some time not only due to heat ;)

@Horo
    Your image seems to be cooling because of the mountain peaks covered in snow but also due to a bit colder hue of the sky.

@kyricus
    I almost can feel the heat of the sun on your image

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

kyricus said:

Can you, or anyone, give me some Ideas on how I could make my blanket look more like a blanket than the cube it is? I tried a couple of different things, but it still looks like cube with a nice texture (which it is). Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

you can try using a Terrain

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

kyricus said:

Use a terrain or Symlat rather that a cube?

edited December 1969

You know, why didn't I think of that? I've been playing around with using terrains for a bunch of other things. I need to stop thinking of them in terms of "terrain" and find another term I can use. When I think of terrain, I tend to limit myself to...terrains. Thanks Chohole.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you check the welcome page of my site, (link in sig bar) I made a sheepskin rug from a terrain, Tought it came out rather well.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,096
    edited December 1969

Beautiful renders everyone !

This is my 2nd entry : a giraffe drinking water in a pool under the African sun.

dry_grass_with_water.jpg
    872 x 600 - 127K
    edited December 1969

@adbc: Really like what you've done, it has a very barren atmosphere. If I might add, the multiple rocks(?) look too uniform, and uniformly placed. Perhaps a bit more randomness is needed? Still, love it.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo : you're probably right, so I made the piles of grass smoother (that's what they are supposed to look, not meant as being rocks) and re-positioned them a bit (spikes on the terrain).

dry_grass_with_watercopy.jpg
    872 x 600 - 128K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

adbc said:
    @GussNemo : you're probably right, so I made the piles of grass smoother (that's what they are supposed to look, not meant as being rocks) and re-positioned them a bit (spikes on the terrain).

Nice improvement, they look much more natural this way.
    edited December 1969

@adbc: Now those I can believe belong in that scene. Nice work.

edited December 1969

Thanks for your advice and comment !
    Learning every day a bit more that's for sure.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2013

A somewhat obvious solution.

3 rounded cubes from the additional primitives.
    50 + flattened sphere.
    1 infinite plane.
    A vignetting filter, one of Horo's provided with the Lenses and Filters set of ours.

Regular render with low AA threshold setting and 1.5 AA radius.

The third image was rendered twice (all in Bryce) and the fourth used Horo's conversion program so I could have nice outlines.

Ice_cubes8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 368K
    Ice_cubes6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 247K
    Ice_cubes5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 252K
    Ice_cubes4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 225K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on