Why isn't carrara selling?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Paul :)

Carrara's browser window,. and all the other panels are detachable and can be expanded to show more thumbnails, or can be moved to another screen if you have dual, or multiple monitors.

Hold CTRL (Command on Mac) and click/drag the grey area of the title bar, to detach the panels,.
    and the same to pop them back in place.

The Changes in DS3, to DS4 are significant because the whole UI was redesigned.
    Carrara users have made it clear that they want to retain the UI since it's easy to use and simple to learn.

The DS tools, features, and formats, have also changed to DSON / Duf.

This has been done to support genesis, smart-content, and the transfer of scenes and content between DS and Carrara 8.5 beta.

Adding Genesis support to carrara, has meant that a lot of carrara has been updated and parts re-written to accommodate that,. although the Carrara UI has remained as unaffected as possible, there have been some changes to the panels, such as the parameters tab, and slider controls,. which now have a search /filter, and adjustable values for any morph.

Carrara has had as much work done to it as DS, ...it's just not a highly visible UI change. ....it's all under the hood.

So, I have to disagree with the perception that Carrara has had less attention than DS,. although I can see how, by looking at the interface for both, there's a bigger visible change in DS,. than in Carrara.

As far as I know,. for over a year,. both programs have been in a continuous state of parallel development.

Andy :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

Hi Paul,
    I really hope that they give it the attention as well. I am really quite impressed with what they've done with Daz Studio - and would love to see such a gigantic push forward in Carrara as well. I am under a belief that they do have some nice things in store for Carrara 9 Pro - which I am quite anxious to see. I do like Carrara's modeler, and love the diversity that Carrara holds. Wow... 3D Coat and Zbrush? Nice! Talk about best of the same world, eh? I've seen many points arguing one better - but you don't have that worry! Oh... daughter's out of surgery - gotta go!

• paulbrakepaulbrake Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

Hi 3DAGE,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have tried moving the "sequencer/Browser" library panel to another of my screens; however, after detaching it from the main UI using CTRL it is only movable within the boundaries of the main UI. In other words, if I have Carrara open on one screen, detach the library window, it moves only until it hits the edge of the Carrara UI window giving no capability to float over to another of my screens, and it is just stuck there over the top of the Carrara UI.

I have also played around with the 'multiple monitor settings' in the 'preferences' with no change to the problem, and full screen over multiple monitors just gives me black screens where I have to guess where the full screen toggle icon is so I can click on it to get back. Not sure if it's something else needed that i am missing, a bug in the BETA version, etc. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else is not having this problem.

Post edited by paulbrake on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

In preferences you have to tell Carrara to use multiple monitors.

paulbrake said:
    Hi 3DAGE,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have tried moving the "sequencer/Browser" library panel to another of my screens; however, after detaching it from the main UI using CTRL it is only movable within the boundaries of the main UI. In other words, if I have Carrara open on one screen, detach the library window, it moves only until it hits the edge of the Carrara UI window giving no capability to float over to another of my screens, and it is just stuck there over the top of the Carrara UI.

I have also played around with the 'multiple monitor settings' in the 'preferences' with no change to the problem, and full screen over multiple monitors just gives me black screens where I have to guess where the full screen toggle icon is so I can click on it to get back. Not sure if it's something else needed that i am missing, a bug in the BETA version, etc. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else is not having this problem.

edited December 1969

DAZ_Spooky, as mentioned in my original sentence that you quoted in your response, "I have also played around with the 'multiple monitor settings' in the 'preferences' with no change to the problem".

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

Sorry spooky, I don't have enough respect for you to argue with you.

"Carrara UI has remained as unaffected as possible, " 3DAGE

I'll almost argue with that. The changes that have been made have made it more like Studio in some respects; hiding tools I use a lot in a sub menu. But thank got not much. I hate the Studio interface. I can use it, I just don't like it.

But I'll be right up there asking for a font scale, please.

"I am under a belief that they do have some nice things in store for Carrara 9 Pro" Dartanbeck

And what have you read to foster this belief? I can't say I recall reading anything that even hinted at what might be in C9; if anything.

More to the topic. How many newbies have you seen on the forum in 6 months?

But when you step in the door and are pretty much funneled in one direction what do you expect?

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited July 2013

paulbrake said:

DAZ_Spooky, as mentioned in my original sentence that you quoted in your response, "I have also played around with the 'multiple monitor settings' in the 'preferences' with no change to the problem".
    What you are describing is exactly what happens when you are only set to use a single monitor in Carrara preferences.

Do you have to have both the check box checked and both monitors dark, like in my screenshot?

TwoMonitors.jpg
    424 x 365 - 33K
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

Yes, I understand how to do it, and done all that is needed to make it work - The only open question remaining is could there be a problem because I am using 4 screens as opposed to 2?

• edited July 2013

paulbrake said:

What you are describing is exactly what happens when you are only set to use a single monitor in Carrara preferences.

Do you have to have both the check box checked and both monitors dark, like in my screenshot?
    What he is describing is the fact that you can't share a screen with another program. It's all Carrara, or all something else, per monitor. If I have the properties tab open on a second monitor, I can not also see another program there, even though the properties tab only takes 1/4 of the screen. the rest is the blank Carrara background.
    I personally don't have a problem with that particular restriction, but my pet peeve is you should be able to dock the properties and sequencer to any edge of any screen. In my case, with 3 screens, there should be 12 possible docking locations. Right now Carrara has just 1 "docked" location for each tab. I also think having ctrl as the only way to undock the sequencer is problematic for newbies. Sure it's easy once you know, but the properties tab has a undock button, why can't the sequencer? Take a look at the Eclipse environment for docking and tabs that makes sense. Just drag and drop, no special buttons required. It also allows floating windows like Paul wants.

Also, I submitted a bug a few months ago with .204 where I can't use my left monitor. Nobody has commented on it. Am I alone?
    bug 50187

Post edited by briandaz_3e696c2bd8 on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

paulbrake said:

I just wanted to add as a final note: Just compare the look of the content library between Daz Studio and Carrara. Daz Studio is in a separate window that can be detached and moved to another screen in all it's large and glorious color - For Carrara's I need a magnifying glass and a robust mouse wheel for all the required scrolling.

For me this is exactly why I love Carrara's interface - everything in the same place - all the time !
    It's one reason why i really dont like Studio - too many interface options to play with - ends up confusing.

If you grab the Carrara browser tray handle and drag up you can fill your entire screen - easy to see the tree ( which can be widened) and thumbnails. Click on it to collapse.Any folders I set up I name in Caps which makes them easier to see.

I agree font size should be optioned or just made bigger along with a few buttons AND thickening up the manipulator, which often just about disappears in a crowded scene, would help to finding and grabbing handles( scaling it up doesn't help)

edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    paulbrake said:

I just wanted to add as a final note: Just compare the look of the content library between Daz Studio and Carrara. Daz Studio is in a separate window that can be detached and moved to another screen in all it's large and glorious color - For Carrara's I need a magnifying glass and a robust mouse wheel for all the required scrolling.

For me this is exactly why I love Carrara's interface - everything in the same place - all the time !
    It's one reason why i really dont like Studio - too many interface options to play with - ends up confusing.

If you grab the Carrara browser tray handle and drag up you can fill your entire screen - easy to see the tree ( which can be widened) and thumbnails. Click on it to collapse.Any folders I set up I name in Caps which makes them easier to see.

I agree font size should be optioned or just made bigger along with a few buttons AND thickening up the manipulator, which often just about disappears in a crowded scene, would help to finding and grabbing handles( scaling it up doesn't help)
    I share the same opinion as Bond, James Bond, with the exception that I'm fine with the font. Carrara's interface is a thing of beauty to me. And rather spacious workspace on my single monitor.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited July 2013

to be honest the content window could do with something similar to poser's library

poser's library will let you filter your library by pose prop figure etc

it even has a search function : ) shock horror : )

but most of all it's well laid out even if you have never used it before it is intuitive

Carrara could do with the ability to use the up and down keys to cursor through the content folders.

as far as "Why isn't carrara selling"? title.

Isn't that like the expression "When did you stop beating your wife?" ie it implies a fact which is not necessarily true.

We've had at least three newbies here this month I reckon. ; )

Unless of course they got it in a magazine...

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Is that still the slowest thing that a computer can perform? I reduced my runtimes down to much less content in the hopes that it would speed up that dog gone library. Still has to sit and think. Drove me to... well... it helped me find (and love) Carrara!
    edited December 1969

I have a huge content browser in Carrara packed full of complete scenes with ten seconds of animation ready. I only film in two to six second clips - but I save my scenes at ten, sometimes more, for added flexibility. My Carrara browser is FAST!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Is that still the slowest thing that a computer can perform? I reduced my runtimes down to much less content in the hopes that it would speed up that dog gone library. Still has to sit and think. Drove me to... well... it helped me find (and love) Carrara!

hey : ) ah it works very quickly for me poser 2014 , mind you I find most stuff using google desktop, great gadget, unless I look for something ubiquitous like "thumb" or "readme" : )

edited July 2013

Hey look, headwax caught it. ;)

Say some one on some other site spots and clicks on a DAZ add, they can go through the entire process with out ever knowing carrara actually exists.

Look at my proposed change to the store home page. It doesn't detract from anything, I make use of the empty gray space to promote the other, forgotten about DAZ apps. But apparently that is just asking for too much. Heaven forbid we should use some empty real-estate to better promote carrara.

So the question isn't "why isn't carrara selling" but why isn't DAZ promoting it in any way, shape, make, or form? Seems studio and content is all DAZ spends any time promoting. You'd be surprised by the number of people I have talked with on other forums that though Carrara went out of production years ago; like after DAZ bought it. Or the ones that have checked the DAZ site but wasn't looking for an app to sell them dollies or dolly clothes, then went else where looking for what they needed, which was carrara.

I've said it before, you know I will say it again, it is my opinion DAZ marketing does not have a clue how to market Carrara.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    ... You'd be surprised by the number of people I have talked with on other forums that though Carrara went out of production years ago; like after DAZ bought it. ...

I would not be surprised. The term "abandonware"* has been popping up in what's left of my mind. But ... there may be a glimmer of hope, what with Dartanbeck's recent release of "Carara Environkit - Woodlands". I've been playing with it for a couple of days, so far, so good.

B-P

*"Abandonware is a product, typically a software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available." Maybe slightly overstated , but when there's not even an up-to-date manual ...

edited December 1969

paulbrake said:
    Yes, I understand how to do it, and done all that is needed to make it work - The only open question remaining is could there be a problem because I am using 4 screens as opposed to 2?
    That may actually be a reason. Now I know what I am looking for, I'll look when I get home. Technically, DAZ3D doesn't support systems with more than two monitors with any of its software. (Many companies don't.) There are certain issues with even attempting it, as the drivers aren't consistent with how they handle more than two monitors. Up until a recent driver change one monitor (Usually the one plugged into videocard 2) on my home system I couldn't properly run, even in single monitor mode, Carrara, DS, Chrome, Firefox, and others. I'll look into that possibility when I get home.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    ManStan said:
    ... You'd be surprised by the number of people I have talked with on other forums that though Carrara went out of production years ago; like after DAZ bought it. ...

I would not be surprised. The term "abandonware"* has been popping up in what's left of my mind. But ... there may be a glimmer of hope, what with Dartanbeck's recent release of "Carara Environkit - Woodlands". I've been playing with it for a couple of days, so far, so good.
    Does that still hold when we release 8.5 before the end of Summer?

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    ManStan said:

Will it have an up-to-date manual? Your comment seems a little arrogant for a product (C8) that has been out over three years without a manual update. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but a search gives "We found no results for 'Carrara 8 Manual' ")

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    Steve K said:
    ManStan said:

Will it have an up-to-date manual? Your comment seems a little arrogant for a product (C8) that has been out over three years without a manual update. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but a search gives "We found no results for 'Carrara 8 Manual' ")Considering Carrara hasn't had an up to date manual since Carrara 2, if that recently, I am not going to tell you there will be a fully up to date manual for Carrara 8.5.

edited December 1969

Considering Carrara hasn't had an up to date manual since Carrara 2, if that recently, I am not going to tell you there will be a fully up to date manual for Carrara 8.5.

So the 750 page manual for Carrara V.6 that came with my Carrara 8 Pro is not valid?

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    Considering Carrara hasn't had an up to date manual since Carrara 2, if that recently, I am not going to tell you there will be a fully up to date manual for Carrara 8.5.

So the 750 page manual for Carrara V.6 that came with my Carrara 8 Pro is not valid? I said Carrara hasn't had a fully up to date manual, which is what you asked about, since Carrara 2 at the latest. I did not say anything else.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:

So the 750 page manual for Carrara V.6 that came with my Carrara 8 Pro is not valid?

Why the hostility?!? I'm sure Spooky has better things to do than get in a pointless argument with you and Stan, just so you can try and one-up him. You guys bitch about DAZ not giving enough information, and then use that as a basis for paranoid gloom and doom scenarios, yet when someone clearly with a clue about what is actually happening, comes in here and offers as much information as he's probably allowed, and tries to actually help someone else with a monitor issue, you jump on him. You accuse him of an arrogant response, yet quite honestly if it was me in the exchange with you two, I'd more than likely get this thread locked with my response. You should thank him for his politeness and learn a little about social graces from him.

So here's my unsolicited advice: Maybe you should drop the 'tude, and listen to what the man has to say. You may actually learn something to your benefit.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Why the hostility?!? I'm sure Spooky has better things to do than get in a pointless argument with you and Stan, just so you can try and one-up him.

Boom!

Well, most of us were thinking it anyway...these threads always devolve like this.

edited July 2013

So here's my unsolicited advice: Maybe you should drop the 'tude, and listen to what the man has to say. You may actually learn something to your benefit.

As soon as he quits trying to blow smoke up my , sure. But considering what I read here knowing the carrara manual had a complete rewrite for C6, "clearly with a clue" goes out the window.

Sorry evilproducer, but when the man comes on to defend DAZ's lacking in promoting carrara, I don't want to hear what he has to say. To me he just doesn't read like a carrara supporter, never has. Dartanbeck is an excellent example of a "to the bone" carrara enthusiast. Personally I love carrara, it has some issues, but I love to work with it. It's DAZ I have issues with. Or at least DAZ's handling of carrara.

What carrara needs is a cheerleader, not a department head. What ever happened to the carrara cheerleaders that used to work at DAZ?

Yes, that is a rhetorical question. ;)

Edit to add: What hostility? I'm not hostile, I'm not even a bit aggravated, at best I'm slightly amused.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

As soon as he quits trying to blow smoke up my , sure. But considering what I read here knowing the carrara manual had a complete rewrite for C6, "clearly with a clue" goes out the window.

Sorry evilproducer, but when the man comes on to defend DAZ's lacking in promoting carrara, I don't want to hear what he has to say. To me he just doesn't read like a carrara supporter, never has. Dartanbeck is an excellent example of a "to the bone" carrara enthusiast. Personally I love carrara, it has some issues, but I love to work with it. It's DAZ I have issues with. Or at least DAZ's handling of carrara.

What carrara needs is a cheerleader, not a department head. What ever happened to the carrara cheerleaders that used to work at DAZ?

Yes, that is a rhetorical question. ;)

Edit to add: What hostility? I'm not hostile, I'm not even a bit aggravated, at best I'm slightly amused.

That's a shame that you don't want to hear what someone with actual working knowledge of Carrara's development may have to say. You also forget that in many cases, there are NDAs that limit what can be discussed in public, so if it seems as if the information is trickling out, it may not be the fault of Spooky or any other devs that would care to post. The possibility that a dev. would post here is becoming less and less oif a likelihood with the nay-saying and hostile attitudes. Who would actually want the abuse?

Regarding the hostility, it's pretty blatant, if you look at who I quoted.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Why the hostility?!? I'm sure Spooky has better things to do than get in a pointless argument with you and Stan, just so you can try and one-up him.

Boom!

Well, most of us were thinking it anyway...these threads always devolve like this.

No.

These threads usually devolve to the point of me having to come in and state the Incredibly, Blatantly, Overwhelmingly Obvious cure...

Rename the product Cowrarra and make it the Launch Platform for The Millennium Cow.

No salesmanship needed, no manual necessary, it doesn't have to work with Genocide or any other format - it will Instantly become the Best Selling Anything In The Universe.

Ever.

Problem solved.

Now get to it, DAZ!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Boom!

No.

These threads usually devolve to the point of me having to come in and state the Incredibly, Blatantly, Overwhelmingly Obvious cure...

Rename the product Cowrarra and make it the Launch Platform for The Millennium Cow.

No salesmanship needed, no manual necessary, it doesn't have to work with Genocide or any other format - it will Instantly become the Best Selling Anything In The Universe.

Ever.

Problem solved.

Now get to it, DAZ!
    Mention it to Spooky if he ever posts again!

edited July 2013

That's a shame that you don't want to hear what someone with actual working knowledge of Carrara's development may have to say. You also forget that in many cases, there are NDAs that limit what can be discussed in public, so if it seems as if the information is trickling out, it may not be the fault of Spooky or any other devs that would care to post. The possibility that a dev. would post here is becoming less and less oif a likelihood with the nay-saying and hostile attitudes. Who would actually want the abuse?

Regarding the hostility, it's pretty blatant, if you look at who I quoted.

Information about carrara isn't the point of my topic. My point has always been DAZs lacking in the promotion of carrara.
    As much as I would love some info about C9, I ain't worrying with it. And as far as an up to date manual, that ship has sailed. I gave up on that when we got that long parade of excuses as to why it kept getting delayed, then never got it. But nether of these are on topic points.

My argument is DAZ doesn't do enough to promote carrara, spooky seems to share DAZ's opinion of carrara. That isn't what I want to hear from some one that is supposed to be a carrara supporter.

Carrara not having an up to date manual at release since C2 is not the same as carrara not having an up to date manual. I'd rather not play petty little word games. The reason we don't have an up to date manual is simply because there is no profit in it.