Why isn't carrara selling?

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited July 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Ya I expect this one to go the way of the dodo but I got A bit worked up trying to find a link to a C8.1 trial; I couldn't manage it.

There is no link or mention of Carrara on the front page. OK, I can live with that, not good but not too bad. I click on software and resources and no carrara; no bryce no hexagon. I'm sure I am being thick but I couldn't find a link on the front page to anything but Studio and studio content.

So I thought ok I'll make this simple and just do a search for carrara. What did I get? Not carrara. Carrara was actually on page 2 of a search for carrara.

So I ask again and just to make it perfectly clear have this dripping with sarcasm as you read it. Why isn't carrara selling?

p1b.jpg
218 x 434 - 21K
p1.jpg
976 x 514 - 141K
Post edited by ManStan on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013
    buy_carrara.jpg
    949 x 188 - 51K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Well, I didn't have too much trouble finding Carrara from the Daz main page......scroll down to the bottom.

Worth mentioning:

The showcase is Daz Studio......Carrara, bryce etc....seem to be the ugly stepchildren.

There aren't screenshots or gallery links that pop out in a potential customers face. If I did not know the program, I would really like to see screenshots of the interface, modeling, trees, terrain etc... as well as see a gallery that shows all of the neat "stuff" the program can do.......not just a list of the improvements and issues with mac.

Just my 2-cents. ;)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My point wasn't for a mod to post links, the point is going to the first page of the DAZ store you would think some one else is selling carrara, because there certainly isn't any evidence DAZ does.

Even on the home splash screen for DAZ you have to scroll down to see DAZ sells more then content for Studio. And those are just off handed gray links at the bottom the the splash screen.

How on earth do you expect to sell carrara if you don't put it right up in peoples faces like DAZ Studio or DAZ content?

After all isn't this DAZ Carrara now?

edited December 1969

Well at least Carrara is in bigger writing than Bryce in the shot I showed, even if Bryce does come first in the line up showing other software.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well at least Carrara is in bigger writing than Bryce in the shot I showed, even if Bryce does come first in the line up showing other software.

Agree. For the longest time Bryce was the app most others tried to duplicate. Bryce is the only CG app my spell checker is aware of ;)
    Hex is in that adrift boat too. It may be lagging way behind the rest of the pack, but is still a strong runner.

While Daddy DAZ sets in the dinning room with it's periodical son Studio, the rest of us eat in the kitchen.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

It is on the DAZ Home Page and it's on the DAZ Products page. The one you are featuring in this thread is the new releases page of the Store.

On the home page, it's under DAZ Studio 4.6 as Also by DAZ 3D... and it links to this page:

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-what-is-carrara/

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Being a product under a company name often makes for less than desirable branding marketing results.

If one didn't know that Pixologic makes Zbrush, what good is it to promote Pixologic brand name if the main product is Zbrush?

Same, in my opinion that Carrara is sold by DAZ3D, but I imagine that there are many people who don't know who sells the software license for Carrara are the DAZ3D company.

So, even though promoting the brand name DAZ3D, who will know what their other products are if they are not promoted as a brand name, up front and center stage?

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

So, even though promoting the brand name DAZ3D, who will know what their other products are if they are not promoted as a brand name, up front and center stage?

I believe all the ads I recall seeing for Daz on other sites have images of figures. I don't recall seeing anything that shows they sell 3d modeling software. To be fair, it might be worth looking around to see if Carrara, Hexagon and Bryce are getting "face" time.

It could be that the sites that are posting a Daz link are just omitting the other offerings. Maybe its as simple as changing a link icon or tag line to include the other software?

edited December 1969

Bob never could figure out why Ted, Harry, and Tommy were mad at him all the time.

bob.jpg
    512 x 512 - 150K
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Bob never could figure out why Ted, Harry, and Tommy were mad at him all the time.

Is that a new release? :)

You are a funny guy Stan.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

heh heh

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

it needs an unflatable pony included
    (or a Moolenium cow)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

I thought DAZ wanted to keep it for a while yet. I bet it's not selling because DAZ won't sell it. I wouldn't.

edited December 1969

Google on my Android thinks I live in Carrara Qld
    (obviously based on my search history!)

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

As I was saying recently in a thread Carrara is never mentioned in the "compatible with" when it it is ie poser format.

Daz just does'nt seem to get it - Carrara is a stand alone product worthy of it's own website and promotion. Maybe they just dont realise what a gem they have.

From time to time when I need something different to look at I open my demo versions of maya,lightwave,C4d and others - messing with them sometimes gives me ideas for Carrara - but returning to Carrara is such pleasure, the interface is unbeatable and if you want to work with Daz/Poser/ characters it's the best all round - not perfect but worthy of Dartenbeck's enthusiasm !

I'm only a hobbyist struggling with 3Dart My lack of knowledge ( getting better ) by itself tells me when a software is easy to work with - Carrara has evrything easily accessable and really not too difficult to learn - I find the later versions of studio more confusing. Ah well maybe they'd sell more if there weren't so much negativity going around.Potential users are sure to read these forums. Of course there would be less of that if Daz really gave it their all.

edited December 1969

One thing you need before you have potential users is people knowing the app actually exists.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Right you are.
    I have a feeling that they will be giving it more of a push once they have their flagship figure working comfortably within it. Who knows... they may have someone working on the pages for it as we speak.

0OSeven, one of the tricky situations in the store search criteria is that unless the product comes with Carrara shaders, it can't really be listed as Carrara compatible. Carrara user must know what it is that they want to use and refine their own searches from there. Most products that I buy work beautifully in Carrara - but are not truly Carrara compatible because I have to tweak the shaders myself. But that's fun!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    One thing you need before you have potential users is people knowing the app actually exists.

You got that right!

Which leads me to wonder... how did most of the Carrara users here actually become aware of Carrara?

For me, it happened before there was this thing called the World Wide Web.
    In my mailbox I received an envelope with a glossy flier showcasing something called Ray Dream Designer. It was being offered for $99.95. At the time, I wasn't aware of any other similar product within reach of the hobbyist (remember, there was no www, no google searches).
    I bought it, and every version since.

I don't know how I got on that original mailing list, but if not for that, I might not even know that Carrara exists today.

edited December 1969

I found C5pro on a magazine disc in 2009 a few months after getting a "proper" computer (had old one with Win98 before)
    did not even know Daz owned it
    was Evocia.
    Exported a few browser models to iClone3 (my first 3D app) and rendered some preset scenes.
    Printed out the manual.
    then found out about Daz studio (again on a magazine disc)
    soon discovered on forum they owned Carrara.

edited December 1969

I found C5pro on a magazine disc in 2009 a few months after getting a "proper" computer (had old one with Win98 before)
    did not even know Daz owned it
    was Evocia.
    Exported a few browser models to iClone3 (my first 3D app) and rendered some preset scenes.
    Printed out the manual.
    then found out about Daz studio (again on a magazine disc)
    soon discovered on forum they owned Carrara.

So again, it was physical advertising that made the sale. Interresting.
    Now that you've mentioned it, seems like a lot of people have said they first got Carrara in a magazine.

Evocia is actually Eovia. :^)

edited July 2013

de3an said:
    ManStan said:

You got that right!

Which leads me to wonder... how did most of the Carrara users here actually become aware of Carrara?

In my mailbox I received an envelope with a glossy flier showcasing something called Ray Dream Designer. It was being offered for $99.95. At the time, I wasn't aware of any other similar product within reach of the hobbyist (remember, there was no www, no google searches).

I don't know how I got on that original mailing list, but if not for that, I might not even know that Carrara exists today.

Oh wow, someone else who remembers Ray Dream

I bought a bundle, yonks ago, which Had Bryce 3, Poser 3 and Ray Dream. I am not a Carrara user as such, but I think my son discovered Carrara from a mag cover copy of an older version, to be honest. However he was thrilled to discover it was sold by DAZ 3D as he knew I had an account here, and as everyone knows tapping Mum for "a loan" is an easy way to get a newer copy. lol He stareted his own account here, but used Mum's paypal to pay for it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I'm one of many that owned carrara before DAZ. I was a Terragen artiest for a long time, but I wanted to do more then vistas, about the time they started with T2; and an interface that completely lost me, I was looking for a good affordable CG app. After many trials it came down to Carrara and C4D. I went for carrara because they were about to intro this new feature that made it compatible with these premade Poser figures, and the idea of not having to model everything in scene sounded good to me. Considering my first and probably one of my best renders in carrara was all modeled from scratch. Took me a couple of months to set up the same scene I can set up in an afternoon now.

I recently redownloaded, got my old key, and reinstalled Terragen to make HDRIs for carrara because, lets face it, carrara atmospherics are weak; and that is putting it mildly. Now I just need to remember how to use TG, I was actually go with it at one time.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    de3an said:
    ManStan said:

You got that right!

I bought a bundle, yonks ago, which Had Bryce 3, Poser 3 and Ray Dream. I am not a Carrara user as such, but I think my son discovered Carrara from a mag cover copy of an older version, to be honest. However he was thrilled to discover it was sold by DAZ 3D as he knew I had an account here, and as everyone knows tapping Mum for "a loan" is an easy way to get a newer copy. lol He stareted his own account here, but used Mum's paypal to pay for it.

I just realized that I failed to mention (for those who might not know) that Ray Dream Designer was Carrara's original name, when it was created by Ray Dream Inc. back in the 1990s.

edited December 1969

That is the thing. I think you will find a majority of the carrara users ether had it before DAZ or got it free in a magazine.
    It's been my candid opinion for a while DAZ marketing just does not know how to market Carrara.

I'd love to see some marketing folk down here in the pit explaining why it seems Carrara,..... I don't want to say takes a back burner to Studio, because it isn't even that. More like Carrara is still in the freezer in the basement while Studio takes up all four burners on the stove.

What saddens me is there are a few of the carrara greats I haven't seen post in ages. I hope they are just staying away from the furor of the forum and not moved on to something else.

edited December 1969

I think the problem is DAZ 3D make their money by selling content.

They Know DS uses Content, but many don't seem to appreciate that both Carrara users and Bryce users also use content that is not specifically marlketed just for their chosen app.. Heck I have 53 pages of purchased content in my Product library, and 2 of those pages are bundles, which means they contain several products in each one.

We need to convince DAZ 3D that Bryce and Carrara users do still spend plenty of money at DAZ, it is not just the specific coontent they buy.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited July 2013

chohole said:
    de3an said:
    ManStan said:

You got that right!

I first discovered Carrara when I found it on a disc that came with one of the 3D magazines (don't recall which one). IIRC, it was Carrara 6. I didn't do much with it, except to register it here and eventually upgraded to C7 when it was on sale a couple/three months before C8 came out. Because I was past the point of no return, I waited a while until I upgraded to C8.

That all said, I haven't really played in Carrara until this year, and mostly with the 8.5 Beta, but I'm still trying to figure out a whole lot of things that just don't seem to remotely work like any other 3D app I've ever played in, so it's taking me a while to even get a decent render from it, but I'm persistent, and will get there eventually.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited July 2013

It's been ages ago, but a guy online who knew I wanted to use Poser/DAZ models for animation (this is back in the V2 days, but I wanted to use Poser/Zygote-then-DAZ models since I bought Poser from Egghead Software shorlty after I bought Animation:Master in 1994) and knew that I wasn't getting anywhere with Animation:Master, and also knew I couldn't afford Lightwave, suggested I get Carrara. He said Carrara was the closest thing to owning Lightwave and render quality was similar. I found RayDream at a computer show, I think, and followed the upgrade path to Carrara 2. I know DAZ ran big ads for Carrara in the CG mags when Howie's scenes first hit big.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited December 1969

Every dime I have spent at DAZ has been for Carrara. Ether content for direct use, or Studio tools to use content better in carrara.

edited December 1969

Infini-D was the competitor to Ray Dream way back.

Then Metacreations bought Specular (which owned Infini-D) and Ray Dream if I recall correctly. The first Carrara I believe was to be a Metacreations product based on Ray Dream and Infini-D, but then Metacreations broke up and Eovia bought Carrara. Metacreations 3d web technology became Viewpoint.

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

McGuiver said:
    The showcase is Daz Studio......Carrara, bryce etc....seem to be the ugly stepchildren.
    I prefer to liken Carrara to a once-fine sports car, no wheels, on cinderblocks, in the side yard surrounded by overgrown grass.

If shared by others, this perception is also likely to impact sales.

As I was saying recently in a thread Carrara is never mentioned in the "compatible with" when it it is ie poser format.

Actually, I have seen a reference to Carrara being compatible with something. It was in a book on Unity (the 3D game engine), published October 2009, in which it listed applications which could create compatible, animatable models.

It was misspelled. (They spelled it "Carara")