BonBon Hair / Pix Braelyn problem

TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
edited April 2018 in The Commons

Just tried the BonBon Hair on the Pix Braelyn G8F character, when I apply the hair it first loads a bit above the head, then first the base drops into place, then the buns, but the fringes stay above the hair. The character is rather small, if I dial it to zero so it gets normal G8F height the fringes fit. So they seem to autofit to normal G8F height rather than to the character.

I've tried a few other characters of different height, but no problems with any of these, hair loads directly on head, not above. So it looks like it's either specific for this character, or there's something wrong somewhere in my installation.

So can anyone else reproduce this?

bonbon_pix_braelyn.jpg
457 x 577 - 41K
Post edited by Taoz on

Comments

• PixelunaPixeluna Posts: 26

Thank you for finding this problem.  I have not ran into this with hair with Braelyn but I have a look at this and see if I can figure out what is going on.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Does Braelyn use the G8F height morph as part of her character preset? If so there was an issue with this and some hairs in the past. It seems G3F and G8F height morphs are not the same. The solution was to delete the FBMHeight morph from the hair’s data folder. I don’t own the character or hair so I’m afaid I can’t test it for you. 

• PixelunaPixeluna Posts: 26
    edited April 2018

It appears that the BonBon Hair uses rigid groups to help with the rigging in which modifier/shape is disabled thus the hair does not auto fit to the morph shape.  It is not really a problem with the character or the hair it is more just a clash with goldtassel rigging the hair to work best overall  in DS and the fact that Braelyn does not use the height dial for its size but the height is built into the full body morph.  Since the rigid map rigging in the hair does not allow for parts of the hair to be affected by morphs (the modifier/shape setting in the rigid editor settings for anyone looking) those parts of the hair do not autofit.   The simple solution would be to load the hair (not auto fit) to Genesis 8 female and parent to the head (like many do with older hair for other figures) and then apply the Braelyn character.

Here is a video that you can look at to solve the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1om6ud4d31ji2k/parent_hair.zip?dl=0

1. Load Braelyn character and set Braelyn slider to 0 to bring figure to zero morph and zero pose (default) postion

2. Click in document window so nothing is selected in scene, we want the hair to load without auto fitting.

3. Load hair

4. Parent hair to head of the figure.  Be sure that parent in place option is checked

5. Select Braelyn and set Braelyn slider to 100%

I have used other hair products on her and did not find any issues, so it’s just the Bonbon hair that’s having issues. Hope this helped and solved your problem. 

Post edited by Pixeluna on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited April 2018

Thank you. I watched your video but things seem to work differently on my system so I had to experiment a bit to make it work. I'm getting this dialog which you don't seem to get, whenever I try to load the hair with the character deselected. And it seems that no matter what I choose, or if I just cancel the dialog, the hair will autofit to the character. So I have to "unfit" the hair base from the character before parenting it, to make it work.

Another solution I found out is simply to use the G3F version of the hair. If autofits fine to Braelyn, it just takes a little while. The fringes will distort a little but that can be fixed by setting Smoothing to 10 Iterations / Base Match Shaping.

bonbon_pix_braelyn_load.jpg
    302 x 432 - 15K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    Redz said:

Does Braelyn use the G8F height morph as part of her character preset? If so there was an issue with this and some hairs in the past. It seems G3F and G8F height morphs are not the same. The solution was to delete the FBMHeight morph from the hair’s data folder. I don’t own the character or hair so I’m afaid I can’t test it for you. 

I checked but there don't seem to be any FBMHeight morph, so not an option.

• shadownetshadownet Posts: 28

Hi Taoz,

Do you get this dialog when you load the hair into the scene with nothing active (that is to say the figure and nothing else in your scene is selected)?   Or does this dialog come up when you attempt to parent the hair to the head of the figure?  If the later, instead of dragging the hair items as shown in the video select the hair you want to parent and right click on it in the Scene editor and you will get a drop down menu with some options.  Be sure to select the Change "BonBon Hair" Parent option and not the Fit option.  Then you will be shown a Change Parent dialog and you can navigate to the figure Head and select it.  Make sure the Parent in place option in the Change Parent dialog is selected and click Accept.  This does the same thing dragging the hair in the video does without the steps but there may be some different setting in your Daz Studio set up that instead of parenting the hair when you drag it to the figure head is prompting the fit option to run instead.  I am not sure on that but if that is the case than this method should allow you to parent the BonBon Hair Base and BonBon Hair Buns to the figure's head without the fit dialog coming up.

Hope that helps.  :)

Rob

Hi Rob,

I get the dialog if I try to load the hair without anything selected in the scene. This does not happen in Pixeluna's video, for whatever reason.

If I select Braelyn first the dialog does not come up when I load the hair, it just autofits to the character as normal. 

I've tried different ways that all work, but this one seems to be the easiest:

1. zero Braelyn shape to get G8F shape
    2. autofit the hair to figure
    3. fit the buns to the hair base using the Fit dialog
    4. fit the hair base to "None" using the Fit dialog
    5. parent the hair base to figure head
    6. dial figure to 100% Braelyn

Here's a video, feel free to link to it or download it for your own use.

https://www.screencast.com/t/E9toHyxEqv

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960
    This needs to be fixed
  • shadownetshadownet Posts: 28
    Taoz said:

Hi Rob,

I get the dialog if I try to load the hair without anything selected in the scene. This does not happen in Pixeluna's video, for whatever reason.

If I select Braelyn first the dialog does not come up when I load the hair, it just autofits to the character as normal. 

I've tried different ways that all work, but this one seems to be the easiest:

1. zero Braelyn shape to get G8F shape
    2. autofit the hair to figure
    3. fit the buns to the hair base using the Fit dialog
    4. fit the hair base to "None" using the Fit dialog
    5. parent the hair base to figure head
    6. dial figure to 100% Braelyn

Here's a video, feel free to link to it or download it for your own use.

https://www.screencast.com/t/E9toHyxEqv

Looking at your steps here I see you are fitting the hair to none.  This is what should be happening when you load a clothing or hair to a scene with nothing selected.  Daz Studio would just fit it to none (no item in your scene) but for some reason that does not appear to be the case with your install and it insist it must fit to someting so you have to let it fit and then refit it to none. What you outline appears to work just fine so that will be the better way for anyone having the same problem with the hair wanting to auto fit. as you are having.  The method Pixeluna posted works fine for me so your way is a good alternative to have for those who cannot get that method to work.  Another way that this could be done, since it is the rigid groups in the hair causing this it is possible to go to the geometry editor verties tab and delete the hair rigid groups and then clear generated morphs. But that method is probably better suited to someone who is comfortable using the geometry editor and understands what is involved.