What does "WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile" even mean?

[What does "WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile" even mean?] I keep getting this in my log as the last message before DS crashes like an old Tupolev running out of kerosene.

The circumstances vary, it doesn't always happen when I am doing the same thing. It can be during a render, during

the launching of a script too... and both my Windows and DS are fresh and clean.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• It's just a colour profile warning that doesn't matter, since DS isn't colcour-managing the thumbnails.

• The odd thing is that it is the very last thing my DS sees before it dies screaming ^^; eeeevery time.

• It shows up regularly in my log as well, but so far it hasn't triggered a crash. Thanks for posting, and thanks Richard for explaining.

• According to http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_11_0_108 it should be a thing of the past once we get the next version:

Suppress “libpng warning: iCCP:” and “QAccessibleWidget::rect:” messages unless running as DevBuild

• whizwhiz Posts: 5

i'm having the same problem. at the moment the log is showing just this issue.wierd thing is it's just started happening... 2 questions ...how do we stop the crashes? and when will 4.11 be available ?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863

What crashes? The libpng warning is harmless, so you probably need a different thread.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436

The odd thing is that it is the very last thing my DS sees before it dies screaming ^^; eeeevery time.

Probably, whatever crashes DS does it so fast that it doesn't have time to log anything, and this was the last thing it did before that.

daz naturally...okay...i'm looking into other causes...i've only gotten the warning recently though... generally it happens with genesis products. the png warning showed in the log after daz passed out.a look at windows logs showed nothing unusal.i'll check out the other threads as well.thanks for the speedy answer.

• CrimsonMagicCrimsonMagic Posts: 129

Explanation and how PNGs can be fixed.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22745076/libpng-warning-iccp-known-incorrect-srgb-profile

Regarding hard crashes, I would propose to watch the memory consumption in task manager.
    "Out of memory" is a brute killer for most programs ;-)

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436

Regarding hard crashes, I would propose to watch the memory consumption in task manager.
    "Out of memory" is a brute killer for most programs ;-)

Depends on your system. When abusing Studio, I've seen it using up to 30GB of memory, on my machine that has 16GB of physical RAM, with only minor slowing.

hiya,

oooh oohh ...i know i know !! daz is not the droid we're looking for !! your files /harddrive might just be compressed !! i just discovered while trying to find a way to fix a 14 year old runtime that quite a few programs cannot read or execute compressed files ie .jpg /.png.that lead me to an obscure blog post that stated that daz cannot read .dsf (characters,morphs,materials etc.) files if they are compressed. which means the database render smart content cms thingy would probably crash or not show properly. from there a quick check with windows tipped me to uncheck the compress box in the file attributes (right click a file,click properties and then click advanced).you'll have to do that for the entire setup.cms,cloud,runtimes,libraries,database etc . 

be aware that this could take quite a while.in my case it took 3 days to thaw it all.since most of my files are on an external i was able to test my theory on a laptop and a pc and everything is working fine. i also left a message on the help desk regarding this issue so i hope it works for you all like it did for me.

now i'm off to send a resume to star labs ;)

be ez folks,

lee

• whiz said:

hiya,

oooh oohh ...i know i know !! daz is not the droid we're looking for !! your files /harddrive might just be compressed !! i just discovered while trying to find a way to fix a 14 year old runtime that quite a few programs cannot read or execute compressed files ie .jpg /.png.that lead me to an obscure blog post that stated that daz cannot read .dsf (characters,morphs,materials etc.) files if they are compressed. which means the database render smart content cms thingy would probably crash or not show properly. from there a quick check with windows tipped me to uncheck the compress box in the file attributes (right click a file,click properties and then click advanced).you'll have to do that for the entire setup.cms,cloud,runtimes,libraries,database etc . 

be aware that this could take quite a while.in my case it took 3 days to thaw it all.since most of my files are on an external i was able to test my theory on a laptop and a pc and everything is working fine. i also left a message on the help desk regarding this issue so i hope it works for you all like it did for me.

now i'm off to send a resume to star labs ;)

be ez folks,

lee

I'm not sure what you mean - compressed volume in Windows? Certainly DS has no probalem with compressed files in general.

not the volume, the files themselves.this link can explain better https://www.howtogeek.com/307509/what-does-a-windows-folder-icon-with-double-blue-arrows-mean/ ... i thought it wouldn't be an issue either until  recently.since compression occurs with zip files and archives normally they aren't usable until uncompressed.on a hunch i googled around about uncompressing image files.

somehow i ended up finding these threads https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/80931/i-ve-opened-so-many-tickets-in-the-last-3-weeks-so and https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22745076/libpng-warning-iccp-known-incorrect-srgb-profile, and https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/75869/cannot-open-new-saved-file. this all gave me the idea to try uncompressing.in theory compressed files show in the folders smaller than they are.assuming daz searches for a certain size it won't find them or read and or write them incorrectly at best if they are compressed.

in any case i was able to fix my issues through telling windows to uncompress everything daz. i have no idea if  the file compression has anything to do with windows or hd manufacturer's default settings or not but i have seen the issue mentioned in other software forums outside the daz communities.i just had a hunch that played out well. like i mentioned it took a while to do but for me it was well worth it.

take care

• Hi, I'm posting on this thread as I couldn't find any more appropriate.

For some weeks now, daz starts just fine, then gets slower and slower until it completely freezes; i.e.doesn't react to input. I'm running daz on 10 machines right now and it happens only on one (i7-6700,Titan GTX,32 RAM)

The log file shows nothing special (at least to me) apart from "libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile". The taskmanager shows daz fairly busy, running at 15 to 20% CPU. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the kind/size of the scene loaded and the freeze. I have uninstalled and reinstalled daz, updated the nvidia drivers, no change. Any idea?

• libpng is just a message relating to images, it is completely harmless and I am confident has nothing to do with your issue. It sounds as if DS is running full pelt on a single threaded task (so it uses 100% / number of threads on your CPU). What preview mode are you using in the Viewport?

• pazlenpazlen Posts: 25

I hate to necro an old thread, but I just started having this problem today.  I loaded up a saved scene and i got this error message, followed by a failed load of the wardrobe items for one of the characters:

2019-03-23 22:54:34.722 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:34.724 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:34.745 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:34.750 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:36.666 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:36.683 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:40.188 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:40.194 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

2019-03-23 22:54:42.567 D:/Daz/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_52823/people/genesis 8 female/clothing/casual springtime/casual spring kimono.duf (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['

2019-03-23 22:54:42.570 Error reading file, see log for more details.

Any clues on whats happening or how to fix the problem?  I've tried updating the meta, uninstalling the spring komono package then reinstalling, deleting and reinstalling, etc.  I still get the same error, over and over (and the clothes are unusable).

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,009

I've been getting error messages like this, with multiple crashes, over the last few days. I thought maybe something to do with Pose Architect, but perhaps there are better ideas.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863

Ignore the libpng messages  -theya re not relevant to any crashing you may be having, as noted in my previous reply.

The other error message is significant -

2019-03-23 22:54:42.567 D:/Daz/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_52823/people/genesis 8 female/clothing/casual springtime/casual spring kimono.duf (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['

indicates that the file cannot be read - it can't find the character that delimits a block of data. The most frequent cause of that is a failure to decrypt the file if isntalling via Connect, or a bad zip that produces a scrambled file without throwing an error if installing via DIM.