3dlight content and iray

Hi, I have browsed the forum but appearently missed it, can someone please point me to information how to best use architectural content that has 3dlight shaders with iray? I noticed there are products to convert skin materials, but I rather want to know how to handle 3dlight materials of buildings, e.g. the older stonemason products, or the older buildings, ...  when rendering these directly in iray viewport it seems like basic settings like displacement are gone or not automatically working. Thanks!

Comments

• ChuckMChuckM Posts: 129

I use Maclean's Room Creator alot and wish there was an easy way to convert the product into iRay formatt. The interiors I can convert easily into iray with DAZ Uber Base Shader and they render great.

Exteriors take more time and work.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

I find going 3DL -> Iray, setting Glossy Weight 1, Glossy Color white, Glossy Reflectivity .2, and Glossy Roughness .7 works for a _wide_ variety of surfaces.

After that, hunt down glass and water and metals to tweak

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    ChuckM said:

I use Maclean's Room Creator alot and wish there was an easy way to convert the product into iRay formatt. The interiors I can convert easily into iray with DAZ Uber Base Shader and they render great.

Exteriors take more time and work.

I don't know what sort of results you're getting with Room Creator in Iray, but a customer recently PMd me about an Iray issue and I found a fix for it. The issue was with the multiple exterior surfaces overlapping, so if you've seen this problem, here's what you can do to fix it.

1. Load the figure you're using (or select it in the scene) and convert the surfaces to Iray.
    2. Go to Menu> Tools> Geometry Editor (ALT+SHIFT+G), then open the Tool Settings pane.
    3. You'll see 2 expanded lists - Face Groups and Surfaces. The Surfaces list is in alphabetical order, so the first 7 entries are for the outer wall. So, suppose you want to use '2exterior_stone', click on the eye icon for the other 6 surfaces to make them invisible. In other words, leave the surface you're using visible, and switch off all the others.

It sounds complicated, but after doing it a couple of times, it's pretty easy. The problem is of course that RC was created long before Iray was even dreamt of, and Iray doesn't like multiple overlapping surfaces. I don't even think I could update RC to get around it, because there isn't any other way to do it.

• ChuckMChuckM Posts: 129

Geometry Editor is what I use to solve the overlapping just as Maclean describes and it is pretty easy. The other problem was when I saved the work and re-opened the file the overlapping was back. I've since gone back and after I make the fix save the work as an obj. You loose the morphs but because RC is so flexable it's not a bad trade.