Corrected V4 UV for Genesis

Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Wow... torn on this one.

On one hand it is good to see they've fixed the UV mapping (been an issue more than once for me).

But since it's a 'Corrected' map, then it shouldn't be a freebie for those who have bought previous V4 conversions to Genesis?

BTW - the links to 'Animated Samples' only links to the png image not any animation.

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

The updated UV's were not done by daz. So the person who created the fix opted to charge for it. I don't fault them. Be different if it was Daz who did it.

• edited December 1969

Does anyone know how this product works? When it's installed, will it come up automatically when I use V4's uv maps on Genesis? Or will I need to go and change the face uvs by hand?

Thanks!

• CathyMCathyM Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Hi! This product looks very nice but I am not sure I understand the details of using it. Does it replace the UV Maps in our directories for V4 on Genesis, so that it is automatically applied when we load a V4 texture map onto Genesis, or do we need to load this, then the texture?

Also, I am new to the Genesis 2 Female, just purchased the V4 product for Genesis 2 but haven't tried it yet, so am not sure if this product would even be necessary, but if it is I'd like to know if it works on G2 Female, and if it IS needed for Genesis 2 Female using V4 texture maps, what are the necessary steps to get this to work with it.

The animated png files (first time I've ever heard of animated png files!) work for me in firebox browser, but not in latest version of Internet Explorer.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer! -Cathy

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

Edited. I got mixed up yet again. oops

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

sikeus said:
    Does anyone know how this product works? When it's installed, will it come up automatically when I use V4's uv maps on Genesis? Or will I need to go and change the face uvs by hand?

Thanks!

Based on what I read in the product , it has it's own uv set "V4 corrected" which is good because it really shouldn't override someone elses product.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 1969

All you see is a new UV Set option called "Victoria 4 Corrected". Load the V4 skin onto Genesis as usual, and then you apply this UV Set. There is also a little auto-correct morph (which can be turned off) which "corrects" the sculpting around the eyes and the lips.

Here is the Product Documentation.

I have given it a quick run-through and can say that it is a definite improvement. It makes Genesis look decidedly closer to the original V4.

edited December 1969

Cathy_Mod said:
    Hi! This product looks very nice but I am not sure I understand the details of using it. Does it replace the UV Maps in our directories for V4 on Genesis, so that it is automatically applied when we load a V4 texture map onto Genesis, or do we need to load this, then the texture?

I'm guess you would need to load you texture, then change the UV set to V4 Corrected. It should not override Daz's V4 UV set as it is made by someone else.

Also, I am new to the Genesis 2 Female, just purchased the V4 product for Genesis 2 but haven't tried it yet, so am not sure if this product would even be necessary, but if it is I'd like to know if it works on G2 Female, and if it IS needed for Genesis 2 Female using V4 texture maps, what are the necessary steps to get this to work with it.

Genesis 2 is not genesis, so they have different V4 UV files. I haven't compared the UV's on genesis and genesis 2 to know if it is needed for Genesis 2 or not. It wouldn't be too hard to verify, but I'm not at home right now.

I can say that this product is not for Genesis 2 however. Whether V4 for Genesis 2 has this problem is a different issue though. Can't confirm or deny at this time.

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited June 2013

sikeus said:
    Does anyone know how this product works? When it's installed, will it come up automatically when I use V4's uv maps on Genesis? Or will I need to go and change the face uv's by hand?

Thanks!

Edited: Clarified / Corrected instructions.

Here some usage tips for the Corrected V4 UV for Genesis.

Since any character created for Genesis, even those explicitly created for V5 may use the Victoria 4 UV map, start by checking which UV map the character actually use:
    - Load the character morph and the materials of your choice.
    - Go to the Surfaces Pane and select the top node.
    - Locate 'UV set' and verify that 'Victoria 4' is the one used.
    - Select the UV set 'Victoria 4 Corrected' instead of the UV set 'Victoria 4'.

Dependent of the way the selected character morph and textures were created I have found a number of different ways morphs are created. We are now faced with a number of possible situations:

1:
    The character were created for V4 and Genesis and the Victoria 4 morph were set to 1.00 when the character morph was created. In this case the corrective morphs will be activated automatically. If so desired, these may be deactivated by dialling the parameter 'Enable Auto Correction' in the: Shaping Pane/Head/MorphKits/Corrected V4 UV.

2:
    The character were created for V4 and Genesis BUT the Victoria 4 morph were NOT set when the character morph was created. In this case the automatic corrective morphs will not be applied. To apply the corrective morphs:
    - Select the character (if not already selected).
    - Open the Shaping Pane.
    - Select Head/MorphKits/Corrected V4 UV and apply 'Manually Insert Correction'.

3:
    The character use the Victoria 4 UV map though it is not explicitly created for V4 and Genesis but for any other combination of morphs for Genesis. In this case the corrective morphs may be applied or not dependent of the character in question. Suggested work flow:
    - Select the head.
    - Open the Parameters Pane.
    - Select Pose Controls/Head/Eyes
    - Dial Eyes Closed to a value of 1.0
    - Select the full figure.
    - In the Shaping Pane, locate MorphKits/Corrected V4 UV and gradually apply 'Manually Insert Correction'.
    - Study the result on the lip contour (the top left contour is the most prominent) and closed eyelids textures to decide if the morphs are necessary and to what degree it should be applied to achieve the desired result.

4:
    The character morph is created with the Victoria 4 base morph partially dialled. Anywhere between 0.00 and 1.00 but not fully dialled to any endpoint. The most common solution in this case is to disable the automatic application of the corrective 'Enable Auto Correction' however as in the previous example: The corrective morphs may be applied or not dependent of the character in question. Suggested work flow is the same as in the above example:
    - Select the head.
    - Open the Parameters Pane.
    - Select Pose Controls/Head/Eyes
    - Insert Eyes Closed to a value of 1.0
    - Select the full figure.
    - In the Shaping Pane, locate MorphKits/Corrected V4 UV and set the 'Enable Auto Correction' morph to zero. Then gradually apply 'Manually Insert Correction'.
    - Study the result on the lip contour (the top left contour is the most prominent) and closed eyelids textures to decide if the morphs are necessary and to what degree it should be applied to achieve the desired result.

To get the best result from any character, merge the chosen lip texture and make up textures, this is done because it's extremely rare that the outline of the lips match the border of the lip material zone. If no specular map is included in the character, create one for the face including the lips and adjust the specular value of the lips to the one of the face. This counters the specular artefacts around the mouth generated by the difference between the lip texture size and the lip material zone size.

POSER:
    This product should work automatically with poser provided the materials are saved with this UV map enabled and and (new) DSON companion files are created for the modified materials.

Hope this helps

Post edited by bringho on
    edited December 1969

robert952 said:
    Wow... torn on this one.

On one hand it is good to see they've fixed the UV mapping (been an issue more than once for me).

But since it's a 'Corrected' map, then it shouldn't be a freebie for those who have bought previous V4 conversions to Genesis?

BTW - the links to 'Animated Samples' only links to the png image not any animation.

Photobucket unfortunately decided to change the way linked images are presented. I'm using Firefox 21.0 on a PC and have found that the first image loaded generally loads in the photobucket (non animation) framing, but the second and later loaded images often load directly in full view.

Also the first image can be brought out of the framing by pushing the plus sign at the low right corner of the image.

Hope this helps =)

• edited December 1969

This is very helpful, and I'm excited to buy this product! Thanks.

• CathyMCathyM Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Thanks Larsmidnatt! That's what I was trying to ask about - sometimes this stuff goes over my head and I just can't seem to follow along - was just trying to face up to going through all the V4 textures mats I have and decide which I wanted to convert to use with genesis 2 female (along with makeup/etc) - then saw this product and began feeling anxiety about doing these texture conversions over and over - I guess I still don't know if Genesis 2 will need a corrected V4 UV Map or not but I don't think that will affect the texture maps, so I can go ahead with them. Thanks for your help! -Cathy

• AnIronButterflyAnIronButterfly Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

Thanks for creating this! It certainly -does- fix some of the 'issues' I've been having and it's a quick fix for the ladies I've
    already got saved as working files.

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

This product vastly improves the textures of faces, it's most noticeable around the eyes & eyebrows. So far from my testing It works better than I expected even on shapes that differ vastly from V4 and the basic genesis shapes.

I'm curious as to exactly which surfaces were improved and which were left unchanged. So far I noticed the face, lip, nostrils, did I miss any? I guess it's safest to just apply the new UVs to the entire figure.

It would be nice if this or an additional product also fixed the body UV distortions. I think they are most noticeable behind the knees, around the pectineus muscles & front of the neck. I might be missing other key areas? Although the face is most noticeable.

edited December 1969

Swawa3D said:
    This product vastly improves the textures of faces, it's most noticeable around the eyes & eyebrows. So far from my testing It works better than I expected even on shapes that differ vastly from V4 and the basic genesis shapes.

I'm curious as to exactly which surfaces were improved and which were left unchanged. So far I noticed the face, lip, nostrils, did I miss any? I guess it's safest to just apply the new UVs to the entire figure.

It would be nice if this or an additional product also fixed the body UV distortions. I think they are most noticeable behind the knees, around the pectineus muscles & front of the neck. I might be missing other key areas? Although the face is most noticeable.

The complete uv map for the face is edited, no part of it has been left untouched, (except the circumference uv's).

No part of the rest of the uv's for the body has been touched.

I contemplated at least tweaking the knee and elbow areas because those are the most prominent in my point of view. When I found that the uv border placement differ quite much around the knee compared to the original V4 mesh I decided to leave them alone for now. The elbow should not be that much of a trouble to get right but the the knee area is probably close to impossible to rectify without massive stretching of the texture in the vicinity. The same goes for trying to correct a spot somewhere on the body, fix one place and mess up another, until I figure out how to handle the knee area satisfactory I'm not touching the body uv.

The JCM morphs for the eyes were added because of the texture distortion that were induced by the movement of the eyelids.

The included base morph is static and only affect the mouth area in an attempt to get a closer match to the original V4 mouth.

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

For the UV map correction, when you say the entire face I assume you mean all surfaces that are composed of the face image map: "1_Lip", "1_Nostril" & "1_SkinFace" and no other surfaces, correct?

The base morph also seems to fix the nose slightly in addition to the mouth?

Thanks for the info and for the excellent product.

edited December 1969

Swawa3D said:
    For the UV map correction, when you say the entire face I assume you mean all surfaces that are composed of the face image map: "1_Lip", "1_Nostril" & "1_SkinFace" and no other surfaces, correct?

The base morph also seems to fix the nose slightly in addition to the mouth?

Thanks for the info and for the excellent product.

Yes the complete facial uv map including the lips and nostrils, nothing else is edited.

And yes, the base morph includes some gentle editing of the nose that I had forgotten about since I uploaded the product some time ago.

Glad you like it.

Happy renderings (and animations ;)

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited July 2013

Wow! I picked this up this morning. I debated on whether to purchase this item. I'm glad I went ahead and got this. I did not realize until I did a comparison how distorted those Genesis V4 uv maps were until I did a couple of renders and compared them one on top of another in Photoshop. The difference is especially noticeable in the eyebrows.

Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

When I click on the gear for parameter settings on the "Manually Insert Correction" shaping control, DS 4.6.0.18 crashes.

Corrected_V4_UV_Crash.jpg
    445 x 376 - 138K
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited July 2013

Is there going to be an M4 version by any chance? o.o

EDIT: 900th post! :3

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    When I click on the gear for parameter settings on the "Manually Insert Correction" shaping control, DS 4.6.0.18 crashes.

I'm not able to replicate this. Does it happen consistently?

edited July 2013

barbult said:

Yes, absolutely every time. thank you for trying to reproduce it. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I've rebooted my computer and tried again today - same crash.

This is what I do:
    Load Genesis
    Apply a V4 texture set, e.g. Lana Elite, but I've tried several Elite textures
    Change Genesis (also tried just Genesis face) to Corrected V4 UV
    Open Shaping Tab and navigate to Head->MorphKits->Corrected V4 UV
    Click the gear on Manually Inserted Correction

The cursor spins for 10 seconds or so and then I get the DAZ Studio Application has stopped working message. There is nothing in the DS log to indicate a problem when I look afterward. I'm not having any other flaky behavior from DS. I can click on other gear icons and select parameter settings without any problem, even the other one associated with the corrected V4 UV.

The Windows Event Viewer shows Application Error when DS crashes like this. Here is a sample event:

Faulting application name: DAZStudio.exe, version: 4.6.0.18, time stamp: 0x5191dc25
    Faulting module name: QtGui4.dll, version: 4.8.4.0, time stamp: 0x510803db
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006887d7
    Faulting process id: 0x45c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8179440f5c58
    Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe
    Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtGui4.dll
    Report Id: d9299fd2-ed6c-11e2-b935-6c626d548229

Any suggestions?

Edited: I wrote a bug report here https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50662

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

Sorry to learn about your problem.

I'm also on a 64-bit Win-7 machine. I'll test as soon as possible.

I'm currently flying home (in fligh wi-fi ;) from a weekend trip in London so the earliest I can test it is in another 4 hours...

I'm curious, why do you want to open the parameters for the manual insert corrections when changing the slider should be all you need to do to get the desired effect?

edited July 2013

bringho said:

I'm currently flying home (in fligh wi-fi ;) from a weekend trip in London so the earliest I can test it is in another 4 hours...

I'm curious, why do you want to open the parameters for the manual insert corrections when changing the slider should be all you need to do to get the desired effect?

Hi, thanks for looking into it. I'll be interested to see if you can replicate the problem. I have a texture that didn't seem to fit well around the nose after selecting the corrected V4 UV. I noticed that if I slid the manual correction slider all the way to the right, it got better, but was not completely fixed. So, I thought I would open the parameter settings and disable limits so I could apply a little more correction. That is when it crashes every time (when I click on the gear and select parameter settings).
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    barbult said:

Yes, absolutely every time. thank you for trying to reproduce it. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I've rebooted my computer and tried again today - same crash.

This is what I do:
    Load Genesis
    Apply a V4 texture set, e.g. Lana Elite, but I've tried several Elite textures
    Change Genesis (also tried just Genesis face) to Corrected V4 UV
    Open Shaping Tab and navigate to Head->MorphKits->Corrected V4 UV
    Click the gear on Manually Inserted Correction

The cursor spins for 10 seconds or so and then I get the DAZ Studio Application has stopped working message. There is nothing in the DS log to indicate a problem when I look afterward. I'm not having any other flaky behavior from DS. I can click on other gear icons and select parameter settings without any problem, even the other one associated with the corrected V4 UV.

The Windows Event Viewer shows Application Error when DS crashes like this. Here is a sample event:

Faulting application name: DAZStudio.exe, version: 4.6.0.18, time stamp: 0x5191dc25
    Faulting module name: QtGui4.dll, version: 4.8.4.0, time stamp: 0x510803db
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006887d7
    Faulting process id: 0x45c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8179440f5c58
    Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe
    Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtGui4.dll
    Report Id: d9299fd2-ed6c-11e2-b935-6c626d548229

Any suggestions?

Edited: I wrote a bug report here https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50662

This is what I did to try to get the same crash on my system:

Start Daz 4.6.0.18
    Genesis loads automatically when started.
    Loaded Elite texture "Katie Elite MAT All".
    Surfaces Pane > select Genesis full figure > change uv to " Victoria 4 Corrected".

Shaping Pane > Actor > Head > MorphKits > Corrected V4 UV > Select "Parameter Settings..."
    Tried both the "Enable Auto Correction" and the "Manually Insert Correction", no crash.

Then, to insert the Victoria 4 morph before selecting "Parameter Settings..." I:
    Shaping Pane > Actor > Female > Real World > And dialled "Victoria 4" to 100%

And back to the:
    Shaping Pane > Actor > Head > MorphKits > Corrected V4 UV > Select "Parameter Settings..."
    Tried both the "Enable Auto Correction" and the "Manually Insert Correction", both still works for me.

Have you tried to select "Parameter Settings..." on any other head morph to verify that this only
    happens with the "Corrected V4 UV for Genesis" morphs and no other head morph?

No other ideas as of right now I'm afraid.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    bringho said:

Hi, thanks for looking into it. I'll be interested to see if you can replicate the problem. I have a texture that didn't seem to fit well around the nose after selecting the corrected V4 UV. I noticed that if I slid the manual correction slider all the way to the right, it got better, but was not completely fixed. So, I thought I would open the parameter settings and disable limits so I could apply a little more correction. That is when it crashes every time (when I click on the gear and select parameter settings).

IC,
    Did you compare the look on Genesis (with the V4 figure morph applied) to the same texture loaded to the original V4 mesh?

edited December 1969

bringho said:

Start Daz 4.6.0.18
    Surfaces Pane > select Genesis full figure > change uv to " Victoria 4 Corrected".

Tried both the "Enable Auto Correction" and the "Manually Insert Correction", no crash.

Then, to insert the Victoria 4 morph before selecting "Parameter Settings..." I:

And back to the:
    Tried both the "Enable Auto Correction" and the "Manually Insert Correction", both still works for me.

Have you tried to select "Parameter Settings..." on any other head morph to verify that this only

It happens only with the manual correction control, not even with the automatic control of Corrected V4 UV. Very strange. It seems to be unique to my computer/installation. fixmypcmike couldn't reproduce it either.
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    bringho said:

Start Daz 4.6.0.18

And back to the:

It happens only with the manual correction control, not even with the automatic control of Corrected V4 UV. Very strange. It seems to be unique to my computer/installation. fixmypcmike couldn't reproduce it either.

A few times I have had the problem that not all files copy correctly into My Library, not by DLM that I know but when I copy the files by hand from the zip archive (in my case non-Daz products).
    I guess you've already uninstalled, delete the install file, download again and reinstall with the DL Manager?
    What's the size of the file: My Library/data/Daz 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/bringho/Victoria 4 UV Corrected/Manually Insert Correction.dsf?

edited December 1969

bringho said:
    barbult said:
    bringho said:

Start Daz 4.6.0.18

And back to the:

A few times I have had the problem that not all files copy correctly into My Library, not by DLM that I know but when I copy the files by hand from the zip archive (in my case non-Daz products).
    I guess you've already uninstalled, delete the install file, download again and reinstall with the DL Manager?
    What's the size of the file: My Library/data/Daz 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/bringho/Victoria 4 UV Corrected/Manually Insert Correction.dsf?
    Thank you for continuing to work with me to resolve this. I originally installed with the DIM. I uninstalled the product with the DIM. I downloaded the zip file again from DAZ. This time I manually installed the files. It still crashes for me in exactly the same way. Here is a screen shot of the file size information.

Manual_correction_size.JPG
    999 x 627 - 113K
    edited December 1969

bringho said:
    barbult said:
    bringho said:

IC,
    Did you compare the look on Genesis (with the V4 figure morph applied) to the same texture loaded to the original V4 mesh?

I had not looked closely enough at the texture on V4 herself. The error I see also appears in the texture when applied to V4. Your product faithfully reproduced that on my Genesis. So your product is good - the texture I used is not perfect (IMHO).

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    bringho said:

< snip >

IC,

I had not looked closely enough at the texture on V4 herself. The error I see also appears in the texture when applied to V4. Your product faithfully reproduced that on my Genesis. So your product is good - the texture I used is not perfect (IMHO).

For a number of reasons few products (if any) are perfect...