QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Fabulous Prizes! WIP Thread:

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,897
    edited December 1969

given the challenge title, is ANYBODY going to tune those browser cars and do a drift render?
    or is that considered too pedestrian?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    head wax said:
    Decided I'd feel out a car race, used everybuilding I could find in the objects folder,
    Before and after postwork ... (smiley here)

Awesome Postwork. :)

chohole, thank you ! (smiley here)

edited December 1969

socratease wroteth

Fear not, there’s a Bovine Render too. But like in the last challenge - I want to try one with and one without.

Otherwise it would be too easy and there would be no ... Challenge!

Ha heh, did you hear that song "Cows, with Guns?"

of course you did!
    love it

Cows with guns

They crashed the gate, in the great stampede,
    Tipped over the milk truck, torched all the feed...

Cows have fun

60 police cars, were piled in a heap, covered in cow
    Pies, covered up deep...

Much cow dung

edited July 2013

Antara wrote

You are not serious, are you? Sorry, I have a very bad internet sarcasm-meter.
    But seriously, that’s not your final pre-postwork render, is it?

About elitist attitudes - see, I hadn’t thought of it like that before at all. For me it has little to do with whether people like my work or not. More about being exposed. In normal situations I can dismiss views as passing glances, and those who look closely enough to comment are not that many. But if people have to cast votes, it means they’ll really have to look. Eeek! (*runs away and hides under the table*)

And in the elitist vs populist argument I think both are right. Although instead of likeability I think of the deciding quality being accessibility. Art needs to speak to people. Whether an artwork speaks to a few people with strong impact, or to millions with weaker impact, the resulting effect might end up being the same. As long as the impact is positive (not in terms of like=+/dislike=-, but in terms of igniting some form of positive personal growth in the viewer) either approach is good.

Sorry, I am being way too serious here. Em. My most sincere apologies? Somehow that sounds like making it worse… Hm.
    (Yes, the lack of emoticons is becoming a grave issue here…)

oh yes, that was the original render, I also rendered out a depth pass which is handy for making atmospherics thingies :)

Art needs to speak to people.[/strong

]

ah yes, that's is such a wonderful succinct statement. That's going on the wall of my studio, seriously! Oh it's good to be serious, we need to take ourselves seriously for some of the time. I mean, life itself is a serious business. I play the clown in real life, only cause I know life is totally the opposite........

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Bigh et Dartanbeck, nice work. I got told not to use "nice" when speaking abourt art but I can't help myself (smiley here).
    Especially the great balls of fire, reminds me of an evening down in.... ahh forget I started that, I was going to tellyou about how Jerry Lee Lewis got his curl.

Dartanbeck, great idea the use of Volumetric clouds !! (and thanks for your kind compliments too)
    I'm sure if you stuck Rosie in the cockpit we wouldn't see her.
    But we would "know" (wink gif here)

edited December 1969

given the challenge title, is ANYBODY going to tune those browser cars and do a drift render?
    or is that considered too pedestrian?

hey, is that a subtle pun?
    (smile here)

I think you should go for it Wendy!! It's right down your street. : )

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    oh yes, that was the original render, I also rendered out a depth pass which is handy for making atmospherics thingies :)

Wow! Those are incredible post-working skills you've got there. Wow!!! (where is mind-exploding emoticon where you need one?!)

I wonder how much longer it took to postwork compared to render setup and rendering itself. Would you mind sharing your time breakdown for this image?

In my workflow the time distribution is completely reversed. I spend a lot of time setting up the render, then 2-20 hours (depending on scene complexity) rendering, well the computer spends that time rendering it for me :). And then 5-20 minutes on the postwork, and most of that time is spent in indecision about how much reflection amplification I really want or how much glow to leave/blur/remove, etc. Since multi-pass rendering allows me so much freedom with all those elements, I often have a hard time with final decisions about them.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Go Jerry Lee!!!
    Mine is using a Tim Payne Sky as content - if that is content. The rest is straight out of the browser, but with tweaks to the shaders and a pile of volumetric clouds at various settings to create the bomb explosion. I've always wanted to try that - finally got round to it. Oh... and after I brought in the mountain terrain from the browser, I monkeyed around with it's shape and size. Dogwaffled it a bit for color grading and applying motion blur. Crap! I was going to put Rosie in the pilot seat - just to break the rules without telling anyone! Poopies... I forgot!

Great explosion effect!!

But, man, that must have taken a toll on the render time. If you have layers of *multiple* clouds in there, then how long did it actually take for the final render?
    I also wonder how many test renders did you do to achieve this? If you did it in one go for the set-up, then you are a genius mastermind!

I usually don't have the patience to sit and wait for the spot render to go through the motions of rendering something as slow as clouds or multiple reflection layers, so if I need to test them, I just reduce resolution and set up an extra camera and leave it rendering a full render while I go do other things. Was spot rendering useful to you? Or did you go full test render route as well?

And also, I see it was done in 8.5. Is it because 8.5 has some critical new features/improvemenrs for this type of effect? Is it faster at rendering or more efficient with volumetric processing? Or is it just because you are used to working with Genesis?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236
    edited December 1969

Antara said:

Great explosion effect!!

But, man, that must have taken a toll on the render time. If you have layers of *multiple* clouds in there, then how long did it actually take for the final render?
    I also wonder how many test renders did you do to achieve this? If you did it in one go for the set-up, then you are a genius mastermind!Like I said earlier... I've been really dreaming of doing this for a while now. So the actual cloud layout was just a matter of imagining what I wanted the effect to look like, and making it happen with the v-cloud settings and shapes. Started with a mid-sized orange glow and then copy/pasted that to make the smaller bright yellow, with a bit of rotation and reshaping in addition to resize. But with the sun being where it is - my first render turned up a dainty cloud of filaments.

Antara said:
    I usually don't have the patience to sit and wait for the spot render to go through the motions of rendering something as slow as clouds or multiple reflection layers, so if I need to test them, I just reduce resolution and set up an extra camera and leave it rendering a full render while I go do other things. Was spot rendering useful to you? Or did you go full test render route as well?
    I do love the spot render tool. In this case I used it on the jet - as that came in after the explosion was done. I applied the "Nickel" shader from Carrara as it has that somewhat dark brown hint behind the ultra-reflective surface. I just love that shader when I can use it. But when I have intensive things going on, I do as you - Cntrl R to launch the render causing all eight cores to crank on it instead of the one that gets used by Spot. Maybe I'm wrong on that last part. But it's still nice to have an actual render to look at for calculating the next phase of changes. For this, I added the bulb light and already ad a pretty good idea of what I needed from it - so the whole render went together pretty well.

And also, I see it was done in 8.5. Is it because 8.5 has some critical new features/improvemenrs for this type of effect? Is it faster at rendering or more efficient with volumetric processing? Or is it just because you are used to working with Genesis?It was the same way for me when Carrara 8 was still in beta. I liked it better, so I used it over 7 Pro. I use the official release when working on critical projects - only because of the "Don't ever use beta" rule on that. They all open in 8.5b anyways - and it's not like I don't like 8.1, so that's no big deal. But once 8.5 is released and mine, I'll likely remove 8.1 - I just like 8.5 better - and it really took me a while to start frequenting use of Genesis. Before V6, I only really used Genesis for new people in the background, but mostly monsters! Genesis has become my personal favorite monster! But I like the light shapes, the smoother OpenGL, the memory leak fixes, Fast Mip-Map texture filtering, kinda the whole nine yards of benefits that I get from 8.5

Hey, Thanks! I hope I can get more time to play with this contest idea some more!
    Love your renders!

edited July 2013

Antara said:
    head wax said:

Wow! Those are incredible post-working skills you've got there. Wow!!! (where is mind-exploding emoticon where you need one?!)

I wonder how much longer it took to postwork compared to render setup and rendering itself. Would you mind sharing your time breakdown for this image?

In my workflow the time distribution is completely reversed. I spend a lot of time setting up the render, then 2-20 hours (depending on scene complexity) rendering, well the computer spends that time rendering it for me :). And then 5-20 minutes on the postwork, and most of that time is spent in indecision about how much reflection amplification I really want or how much glow to leave/blur/remove, etc. Since multi-pass rendering allows me so much freedom with all those elements, I often have a hard time with final decisions about them.

Hey thanks Antara : ) Now my main characteristic is laziness - though I started work on rendering at 6.30 am this morn and will finish in the painting studio at about 9.30 tonight... hm doesn't sound like I am lazy but I am : ).

So for this render I dragged and dropped all those buildings. I had an idea of doing an aerial shot with a kid in flying bathtub or something - similar to what I'd scene in an old Carrara mag tut by Mark Bremer ?? But when I checked out the buidlings I realised that I would have to retexture them so I thought ugh. Then I replicated both sides of the street about five times and my computer had a hissy fit, So I gave up on that idea. The render took about a minute. I rendered at max size 2000 pixels as it is not for publication printing etc. I never use soft shadows because I don't want to wait for a render to render : ) If it's taking too long I start asking why and start turning off shadows on hair and grass etc.

My reasoning - the more renders you make the more mistakes you can make, the better you can figure Carrara out. Also I render at 12 Inches 300dpi minimum side when I am at working and for example I am doing a kid's book at the moment which will be possibly between 8o and 130 images so It's important to have quick render times because when I send the images on there is a big chance they will have to be fine tuned. Or trashed : (.

The post work took about ten minutes I guess.

My settting up time used to be something like 30 percent dragging things around, 30 percent fiddling with texture and 39 percent lighting and one percent having a cup of coffee. I solved my lighting problems a few weeks ago by using lots of distant lights at all different angles and using 5o percent shadows with them. Then just using accent bulbs where they were needed. Makes render times stack faster.

But I go for hand made illustration style, not realism so it is not for everybody.

hope this is of some interest?

thanks for your kindness again,

EDIT: for most postwork I use Ron's Brushes - most of them are superb. If you see them cheap grab them if you want to do post work.

PS Garstor yes, I used Birds :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Not just for Dart's benefit, but anyone that's interested. A couple volumetric cloud tips:

Intersecting volumetric clouds take longer to render.

You can render volumetric clouds and alphas are respected if you render an alpha channel. So, you could render each cloud element separately and layer them in post production.

I never use the spot render tool when checking my clouds. I always do a low res. render from the render room. It takes less time for some reason. Not sure why.

As Dart has done, play with the color and brightness of the cloud.

Don't be afraid to do as Dart has done and stick a light in the center of a cloud as well. The beauty of the clouds is how they interact with light.

edited December 1969

thanks for those tips evil, wonderful idea putting the light inside the cloud, can't wait for a reason to try that out!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Just to show... I'm working on something... that is exploring an idea...
    The car started from the object browser, but has been a little bit modified...

Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 259K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Oh, I do have an idea for the cow.
    But perhaps not as would bee expected.....

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

be ready Sunday - it's coming - so be here

be_ready_Sunday.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 280K
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Appearing soon in my entry

Daz rat dressed in latest pink hair, designer hat and glasses.

FR.jpg
    800 x 450 - 195K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Just to show... I'm working on something... that is exploring an idea...
    The car started from the object browser, but has been a little bit modified...

Nice job! My twin brother and I kit-bashed a physical model car with a fighter jet at one point. Came out way cool! Now I wanna try doing that in Carrara.

edited December 1969

beautiful to see what comes out of the minds of men and women : ) when given a refined set of tools, a few random objects and an abstract concept to illustrate.

do you have that junkyard challenge show "Crapheap"? er I mean "scrapheap"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169491/

I've watched it twice in the past, amazing what people come up with. It's the Boffins versus the Brawn usually. No guesses who wins : )

good to see a mix of both here : )

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

0oseven said:

All right! But why does the rat have a red phone on the boat? Your render would make a good story.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited July 2013

AtticAnne said:
    0oseven said:

All right! But why does the rat have a red phone on the boat? Your render would make a good story.

Ha !
    Who said it was a boat ?
    Anyway - The phine is the communication system.

and here's his buddy in his spacebug

Spacebug__forum.jpg
    800 x 450 - 183K
    Post edited by 0oseven on
    edited July 2013

I am working on something using Browser objects but not quite going as planned lighting wise

head023.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    head017.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    head000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Doc37.png
    1920 x 1080 - 831K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

yes, those ARE my eyes UV mapped to the model
    (and my scary extruded mouth with morphs is truly scary animated)

edited December 1969

hey Wendy classic, reminds me of Dorian Gray painting that follows you round the room. : )

O0oseven, I'd recognise Santa's sleigh crossed with Easy Rider any time : )

edited July 2013

this is one I did the other day but won't use as it's pinching FD's speed blur design amongst other things (eg rigged in poser) Uses Man2object for clothes and Daz Pig as content and cowboy hat and gunbelt . Also galloping horse and Tv and chair from objects folder . Lots of poke through to hide and misaligned textures etc. Used Daz Carousel horse textures. The text reflection is a real text object reflected.

But NO post work : ) ) Ha just kidding of course.... ; )

gallop3.jpg
    2000 x 1772 - 316K
    gallop2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 238K
    edited July 2013

Great render Andrew!
    I tried UV mapping my face to the female figure!

me005.jpg
    717 x 999 - 152K
    h005.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited July 2013

thanks Wendy, now I like where you are going with this so be careful :)
    here's man2object and bike and skeleton and the mannequin
    thanks Andy and Ooseven for your suggestions for the answer to my question!

made the terrain myself : ) whoohoow !

original render below it , lazy d evil arent i?

edit removed images as I just saw that FractalDimensia did the same thing a few days ago ooops!
    sorry FD

edited December 1969

Scary Video
    I must work on a render now for the comp (poke tongue out smiley)

edited December 1969

heh wendy that is scary good, you know you should do music video;s for rage? you have a cult following already : ) you could up the abc's ratings 20percent!

edited December 1969

Andrew, I don't think RAGE is quite ready fir me!
    mind you I hear some pretty odd stuff on TripleJ on the way home after nightshift!

edited December 1969

I've hit a wall on my octopus attacks Brooklyn Bridge picture. I just don't like what I've been doing with the lighting and the general scene composition. Therefore, I'm taking another tack. I will post a WIP soon.