QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Fabulous Prizes! WIP Thread:

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 1969

I keep reading Fractured Dementia (tongue in cheek smiley)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

heh, well what can I say?
    okay, this is just a start for fast and furious.
    Galloping Horse, a very stiff crash test dummy and a few chess sets from the Objects brower.
    I also chucked in a bunny in there, a fan and the bald head but they got lost.

Most of the lighting is light cones on spot lights.
    I rendered out normal vecctor, depth, diffuse texture, shadows and then did a too pro line render and combined them all in post
    you use the diffuse for colour, the normal vector to grab back a bit of luminance if you lost it, the shadow render does the oposite and you can blur it ifyou like for soft shadows, the depth render gives a bit of atmopsheric haze, and the toon pro line render tries to hold it all together , I also used a few filters in project dogwaffle and then combined them with the original renders in post

the original render included is almost black and white courtsey of the lighting and the shadows

Doc9withoutpost.jpg
    2000 x 1241 - 109K
    Doc9.jpg
    2000 x 1241 - 116K
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Galloping Horse, a very stiff crash test dummy and a few chess sets from the Objects brower.

I rendered out normal vecctor, depth, diffuse texture, shadows and then did a too pro line render and combined them all in post
    you use the diffuse for colour, the normal vector to grab back a bit of luminance if you lost it, the shadow render does the oposite and you can blur it ifyou like for soft shadows, the depth render gives a bit of atmopsheric haze, and the toon pro line render tries to hold it all together , I also used a few filters in project dogwaffle and then combined them with the original renders in post

the original render included is almost black and white courtsey of the lighting and the shadows

It is almost like your having TOO much fun with this Head.....

Nice images.
    FD

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I keep reading Fractured Dementia (tongue in cheek smiley)

That's the idea! ;-)

"Fractured Dementia" is only a slur away!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited July 2013

Here's a first (public) draft of one of my ideas. I'm not happy with the lighting, so I may toss that out the window entirely if I can't get it to work the way I want.

I used a couple helicopters from the Aircraft directory, the Brooklyn Bridge from the Landmark directory, the School bus from the Transportation directory ( could have been New Models) and the Octopus from the Mesh Models (I think) directory. I'll check my directories later. I added my own atmosphere and clouds. Not sure if this counts as content, but for the ocean I added an infinite plane with a custom water shader.

The octopus is rigged and uses a shader I created. To the poster that mentioned combining various model components into one mesh: You can rig groups. It does make it easier to weight paint the bone influence with one mesh, but it is very possible to do it with a combined group.

Headwax, shading domains can be set up for spline objects if you convert them to vertex objects first. ;-) The spline models have a default shading domain set up of front, back and side. Adding a rig to a spline object converts it to a vertex object. The higher you set the geometry in the spline modeling room, the more polys you get in the conversion. It also helps to have more cross sections.

octopus01.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 269K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

It is almost like your having TOO much fun with this Head.....

Nice images.
    FD

Thank you Mr Dimensia :)

edited December 1969

I added my own atmosphere and clouds. Not sure if this counts as content, but for the ocean I added an infinite plane with a custom water shader.

The octopus is rigged and uses a shader I created. To the poster that mentioned combining various model components into one mesh: You can rig groups. It does make it easier to weight paint the bone influence with one mesh, but it is very possible to do it with a combined group.

Headwax, shading domains can be set up for spline objects if you convert them to vertex objects first. wink The spline models have a default shading domain set up of front, back and side. Adding a rig to a spline object converts it to a vertex object. The higher you set the geometry in the spline modeling room, the more polys you get in the conversion. It also helps to have more cross sections.

thanks evil, the image is starting to look grande. Great idea!
    Using your own clouds etc is fine. It's only presets that I would prefer to be avoided.

thanks for the info on the splines. I never knew that!

:)

see what I am learning!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

To the poster that mentioned combining various model components into one mesh: You can rig groups. It does make it easier to weight paint the bone influence with one mesh, but it is very possible to do it with a combined group.

Thank you! I didn't know that. Is that why once I attach a bone structure to something I can no longer group that object with anything else?

But I don't think my problem was in conversion. I needed an unwrapped UV map for the object anyway, because spline projection was not giving me what I needed to get my maps right, so I would have converted the splines to vertex object anyway. My problem is that the UV projection keeps collapsing :(. And I don't know what to do about it...

Great start on your image! Very dramatic scene!

edited December 1969

Antara said:
    To the poster that mentioned combining various model components into one mesh: You can rig groups. It does make it easier to weight paint the bone influence with one mesh, but it is very possible to do it with a combined group.

Thank you! I didn't know that. Is that why once I attach a bone structure to something I can no longer group that object with anything else?

But I don't think my problem was in conversion. I needed an unwrapped UV map for the object anyway, because spline projection was not giving me what I needed to get my maps right, so I would have converted the splines to vertex object anyway. My problem is that the UV projection keeps collapsing :(. And I don't know what to do about it...

Great start on your image! Very dramatic scene!

After the conversion, do you check to see if there are any problems with the mesh such as reversed normals or anything? If you were to export the model as a .obj, bring it back into Carrara and then UV map it, do the UVs collapse?

edited July 2013

After the conversion, do you check to see if there are any problems with the mesh such as reversed normals or anything? If you were to export the model as a .obj, bring it back into Carrara and then UV map it, do the UVs collapse?

The mesh seems fine as far as I can tell, when I bring it back as the Obj and UV map it, it UV-maps OK for a while - while I am working in the Modelling room or mode, but then when I go back to the Assembly mode, if there is anything that changes the object, such as morphing or posing, the UV map collapses back into the dot. I can go back to Modelling mode and change the UV's again and it will stick until I do something else to the object. :(

It is kind of OK while I am working on this object alone, but as the scene gets more complex, constantly going back to fix the UV's is very annoying. Not to mention a time waster especially as there will be more objects with such behaviour, and it can waste renders as well if one of the objects is left forgotten and unfixed. So I am looking for some workaround or a more permanent fix.

Now that I think about it, i had a similar problem before, when the UV map would get reset. This happened before with box projection: the default was set to multiple areas and I wanted it to map all regions to the centre single square, it would obey and then get reset whenever the object was moved/posed/morphed. That time I finally had enough and changed my maps to fit the layout it kept defaulting to, but here it's not an option, because it defaults to the dot, thus negating any mapping completely.

I very rarely work with changing UV's, so it's not surprising that I have only encountered this problem a couple of times so far, but it does seem to be happening persistently, so I would really appreciate some help with this issue.

Post edited by Antara on
    edited July 2013

Antara wrote

It is kind of OK while I am working on this object alone, but as the scene gets more complex, constantly going back to fix the UV’s is very annoying. Not to mention a time waster especially as there will be more objects with such behaviour, and it can waste renders as well if one of the objects is left forgotten and unfixed. So I am looking for some workaround or a more permanent fix.

Bearing in mind I don't know anything about this, I would be inclined to download Uvmapper or Roadkill, bring the obj file into the program and have a look at the unfolded uvees. If they are right then export the obj as a new object and hopefully the uvees will go with it and stick. My thinking is there is achance that the Uvees will be cleared up.

Only a hunch though. I have uvmapper pro, very good it is, havent used it for ages though.
    I also have Realitypaint - very good but I really need to read the manul then use it a lot - it does automatic unwrapping but not always in a neat way

http://www.uvmapper.com/

roadkill http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801
    edited December 1969

Title - Tools in Space

Carrara 8.5

PSE

Used the grocery bags from the packaging scene ( retextured ) in Carrara and used a lot of the tools from the tools tab in the Objects section of Carrara as well as the astronaut from the aircraft tab...

Used the ISS from NASA site..

Earth is primitve with shaders from ( I can't remember the site )

Touched up in PSE for adding noise and sig..

Hope this qualifies as I gave up reading all the stipulations and just winged it ;-)

Image inspired by the female astronaut who lost her tools during a space walk a few years ago... :-)

Space_tools2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 544K
    edited July 2013

heh Stezza, very nice use of sense of humour. I was going to say that here in Oz we have an expression about 'tools" and then I saw Bunnings bag, saw Oz in the centre of Earth and put three and three together.

Sorry about the challenge rules. That comes from me trying to satisfy different requirments and in the end just making it confusing. Hoping the next challenge 'host' or hostess learns from my mistakes!

Let see I made allowance for a Cow for Socratease and A Flying Camel for Manstan , who did I miss out :) ?? insert smiley here

After playing with the objects folder I realise it would be quicker to model stuff myself :)

edited July 2013

head wax said:
    heh Stezza, very nice use of sense of humour. I was going to say that here in Oz we have an expression about 'tools" and then I saw Bunnings bag, saw Oz in the centre of Earth and put three and three together.

Sorry about the challenge rules. That comes from me trying to satisfy different requirments and in the end just making it confusing. Hoping the next challenge 'host' or hostess learns from my mistakes!

Let see I made allowance for a Cow for Socratease and A Flying Camel for Manstan , who did I miss out :) ?? insert smiley here

After playing with the objects folder I realise it would be quicker to model stuff myself :)

I suspect that like the middle finger, "tool" probably means the same thing here in the US as it does down under.

It's the Brits I would worry about getting it. I mean, who calls a wrench a spanner? Seriously! ;-P

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

... I mean, who calls a wrench a spanner? Seriously! ;-P

Bicycle Repair Man does!

If it's good enough for Monty Python's Flying Circus, it's good enough for me.

And you.

And the rest of the universe too!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Can I use Genesis 2 Female, Victoria 6 and a bunch of stuff I auto-fit to her?
    edited July 2013

head wax said:

sure you can Dart as long as it is only one item of content, and you made/modelled the other stuff yourself and it is NOT a human or humanoid character.

I'll leave it up to indiviual artist to determine what consists of one item of content.

I thought the one item of content rule was going to be helpful because it would encourage people to use their brains and Carrara's tools, rather than do the usual drag and drop.

Not that there is anything wrong with drag and drop which is my personal favourite workflow!!!!!

EDITED to correct my incorrect answer.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Image inspired by the female astronaut who lost her tools during a space walk a few years ago... :-)

I LOVE the hand drill there... Definitely qualifies as quirky!

edited December 1969

head wax said:

sure you can Dart as long as it is only one item of content, and you made/modelled the other stuff yourself.

Sorry to be so dumb, but I am confused again. I thought human figures were NOT allowed... isn't Victoria 6 a human figure?

Also: Isn't auto-fitted content still content and therefore cannot come in bunches?

edited July 2013

Antara said:
    head wax said:

sure you can Dart as long as it is only one item of content, and you made/modelled the other stuff yourself.

Sorry to be so dumb, but I am confused again. I thought human figures were NOT allowed... isn't Victoria 6 a human figure?

Also: Isn't auto-fitted content still content and therefore cannot come in bunches?

ah yes, sorry Antara I will change the answer I am lost at the moment,

as far as content you cannot use a human or humanoid figure that appears in your render,

as far as autofitted, as far as I am aware you could still make your own mesh and autofit it??

gah, I was too busy asking myself whether Dartanbeck's was a trick question

my apologies, I am at work and doing work stuff, one of my eyeballs has decided to detach it's vitreous and so not in head space

edited December 1969

I think he means you can use transfer utility in studio to autofit Carrara made stuff to Genesis mesh so long as you do not see the Genesis mesh

edited December 1969

I'm pretty certain Dart was joking. Gawd! When will they get the friggin' emoticons fixed?!?

edited December 1969

I'm pretty certain Dart was joking. Gawd! When will they get the friggin' emoticons fixed?!?

Yes, sorry I thought Dart was joking that's why I didn't read the question correctly. I did however go and try and give the directions a little more clarity. Anyway, for the next one we can have a MUST USE CONTENT contest. Anything you make yourself is unacceptable (insert smiley here)

Actually I have been having not fun. I have been exporting a bunch of splines as an obj, then reimporting them and getting the invidual splines mixed all together at what appears to be their original orientation and size in the spline room? Hmm, I tried grouping them and parenting them etc but to no avail. Verry interesting (Object is Cowboy hat)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited December 1969

Title: West of the Planet of the Apes. Work in progress. From the objects browser, I fitted the golf shirt, cowboy hat, and gunbelt to the ape. I rigged the ape and posed him atop the galloping horse. Just at the concept stage. Other stuff from the content browser include some buildings, some plants, the fence, the bench, rocking chair, and some plants. Oh, and of course, the rhino disguised as a cow (and replicated). It is a tough call between completing this spoof of a Planet of the Apes movie poster, or completing a stampede of armadillos.

west_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes.jpg
    480 x 640 - 48K
    edited July 2013

pity animation out
    it is what I do
    The duck rigged
    all Carrara,
    I exported duck as obj and reimported to get one mesh to attach my skeleton
    oscillated tweeners on bones
    used NFR renderer 1st one, YAtoon second

Untitled.jpg
    1909 x 1021 - 485K
    duck2.gif
    640 x 480 - 165K
    duck1.gif
    640 x 480 - 432K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Title: West of the Planet of the Apes. Work in progress. From the objects browser, I fitted the golf shirt, cowboy hat, and gunbelt to the ape. I rigged the ape and posed him atop the galloping horse. Just at the concept stage. Other stuff from the content browser include some buildings, some plants, the fence, the bench, rocking chair, and some plants. Oh, and of course, the rhino disguised as a cow (and replicated). It is a tough call between completing this spoof of a Planet of the Apes movie poster, or completing a stampede of armadillos.

looks like its going to be a great scene, and I LIKE the idea of the armadillo scene!
    Last night I stuck the head and trotters of the DAZ pig (my item of content) on a cowboy but I think your idea is muchos betteros.

Will you do the armidillos as well?

edited July 2013

pity animation out
    it is what I do
    The duck rigged
    all Carrara,
    I exported duck as obj and reimported to get one mesh to attach my skeleton
    oscillated tweeners on bones
    used NFR renderer 1st one, YAtoon second

Wendy, the Yatoon render looks like what I am looking for in some of my illustration work. (insert exclamation mark) I will have to revisit it.
    Who wooda thought you could find such a good duck hidden in Carrara, eh?
    (insert goggley eyes, one redder than the other)
    As far as animations, it would be good to see an animation challenge as long as it didn't rule out too many people - as far as people who have just taken up the Carrara sport. See the mess I got in with my challenge rules as an example (toothy grin here)

By the way, can you do a duck laying an egg ....? (Just egging you on :) insert smiley here)

[img=" http://www.sticker-dealer.de/shop_cfg/Sticker/stickersmileywink.jpg" alt=""/]) hmm let's try our own img code

edited July 2013

I am working on a compromise using layers in Gimp to show different frames staggered

Doc11000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 270K
    duck.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 629K
    duck.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 638K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited July 2013

and why not? it heads In the direction of suggesting the feeling of flight : ) ; ) Very Japonaise

edited December 1969

diomede64, that's a really nice scene. It almost looks like a play set. Can't wait to see it finished.

Wendy, the duck is great, but you need another joint in the wings! Unless you don't want one of course. In which case, ignore me! I saw there was an eagle and was toying around with the idea of rigging it for a scene. If it looks half as nice as the duck, it may be worth it.