Rigid Follow Node Bug and Workaround

CrissieBCrissieB Posts: 195

Hi all,

I've found a bug in rendering body ornaments that are parented to a Rigid Follow Node. I can't post images (nudity) but here's a link removed :

• Screenshot 1 shows the nipple bands parented to Rigid Follow Nodes. In Render 1, you can see that the bands have rotated significantly.
  • Screenshot 2 shows the nipple bands parented to the character, not to the Rigid Follow Nodes. In Render 2, you can see that the bands remain in place.

It doesn't seem to matter which polys comprise the RFNs. When this first occurred, I had created the RFNs by selecting the (G8F-based) character, switching to Geometry Editor, selecting the four polys at the tip of the nipple, growing the selection once, then right-clicking and selecting Create Rigid Follow Node from Selection. I stumbled onto the idea of unparenting the bands from the RFNs and deleted the RFNs, and the render came out fine. Then I decided to reproduce the bug, and this time I created the RFNs by selecting only the top, bottom, left, and right polys in the ring outside the tips of the nipples. The result was the same as with the original RFNs.

The bug happens in the render process. I tried switching to Iray Preview Mode to see if that was the issue, and the bands remained in place for the preview. But when I rendered, they moved as shown in Render 1. The bands will not reliably follow the nipples if parented to the pectoral bones, so I need them parented to the RFNs for posing.

Workaround: Parent the object(s) to the RFN(s) for posing, but change the parent to the figure for rendering.

Has anyone else found this problem with other objects parented to RFNs, e.g.: buttons or buckles parented to RFNs on clothing?

Crissie

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• I'm afraid that a zip isn't an acceptable way of compying with the ToS. You could try hiding one of the figure and removing the textures for from the other, but looking at the images I wonder if there's some displacement causing the calculation of the reference polygon transforms to go wrong - do you get the issue at all with the maps removed? Or with a different texture set applied/no HD morphs?

• CrissieBCrissieB Posts: 195

Hi Richard,

Sorry about the ToS, and thank you for removing the link. I tried with a default Iray Brushed Metal shader for the bands, and got the same results. My textures for the bands have no Displacement map; only Metallicity, Base Color, Roughness, Height, and Normal.

It may be a function of the character's HD morphs, but shouldn't that also affect an Iray Preview? And why bands render in the correct position if parented to the G8F-based character, but move at render time if parented to the Rigid Follow Nodes?

Regardless, the only workaround seems to be changing the parenting ... to the Rigid Follow Nodes for posing, then to the character for rendering.

Crissie

• I was thinking displacement, or HD, on the wearer not on the bands - it's a bit of a stretch, but the preview isn't (to an extent depending on your Draw Settings) exactly the same as the render.