Generation 3 or 4 in 2018

Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
edited April 2018 in The Commons

Hi,

One little question : Do you still use some Generation 3 or 4 figures (native or converted to Genesis 3 or 8) ?

Post edited by Noah LGP on

Comments

• I still use Gen 4 through Genesis 3.  Unless they make a proper converter to Genesis 8, it won't be in the rotation.  There are so many different characters and models between all of the generations that you can't help not to.

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

I have used a few of the generation 3 and 4 textures and converted them to Genesis 3 or 8.  But since I started using Daz Studio at the end of last year I have rarely used the generation 3 or 4 figures or clothing unless there was something specific that I needed and couldn't find for the newer figures.

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431

I mostly still use Genises 3 the most as it has the most assets available. However Genesis 8 has some realy nice characters so i use them as well. I Would say 80/20

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited April 2018

@patrick.dewijs

Sorry but Genesis 3 is the 7th generation, I meant Millennium 3 (2002) and 4 (2006)

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

I still use assets from Generation 3 and 4, thanks to Wear Them All, Anagenesis 2 (which includes Iray shader presets for Genesis 1 that work on Generation 4 characters), and those geograft/UV remap items that make it possible to put Generation 4 textures on Genesis 3.

I only use Generation 4 characters to test stuff I own and determine whether I'm willing to convert the morphs or textures to Genesis 3.

• Every now and then, yes. Good background characters if low poly is a little too low poly.

• I still use V4,M4,K4,F4 as figures in their own right. I don't use them exclusively, and I am more likely to use Genesis 2 than any other generation of figure. But I'll still use the older ones, and I will also transfer their textures and clothes for use with Genesis and Genesis 2. 

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

They are still good for back ground people when you need to fill the scene with them.

They also have different levels of detail so you can change the LOd for where they are in the scene.

There are still things being made for them available at other sites that sometimes are better for use that what DAZ has available.

As I work in Carrara they work very well and I dont need to worry about IRAY.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I do, I still love V4, have tons of content for her, great morphs for her as well as skins, poses, etc... I recently picked up a product that's supposed to help with her bends, if that works I'll be using her a lot more. I even like V3. I like using all the generations, but I'm not that fond of G2. Most of the characters look too stylized to be real for me but can be OK for cute fairies and such. Some things I don't like about V4 are her hands & feet though and sometimes her shoulders seem too wide but I really like her face and expressions (not out of the box, but with all the morphs I have.) 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited April 2018
    NoahLGP said:

Hi,

One little question : Do you still use some Generation 3 or 4 figures (native or converted to Genesis 3 or 8) ?

No ;) But then, I never used them much when they were popular....lol. Was rather stuck on the Genesis 3 figures and never liked the Generation 4 figures much.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

I don't use the actual Mil 3 or 4 figures, but I do have some of their clothing installed to convert to the Genesis generations.  I have some of the characters installed too, to use the skin textures on Genesis 1 and 2  (never got around to getting a converter for Mil 4 to G3)

• I do, I still love V4, have tons of content for her, great morphs for her as well as skins, poses, etc... I recently picked up a product that's supposed to help with her bends, if that works I'll be using her a lot more.

Which one did you get? I use Perfect V4. If you got a different product, id like to do a quick compare and contrast if you're interested.

Another reason for me to use gen 3, 4 is that I can fill a scene with them and my computer wont protest. If I try more than two gen 8's, im looking at composite work.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Well, some things haven't been made for the Genesis series yet (thinking creatures and such here), and if you aren't up against very strict production quality standards, you can still generate some very nice art pieces with the older stuff, even when mixing it with the new.

And thanks to all of those cloth, etc. shaders that are available, plus the wear-them-all autofits, you can pull a lot of older wardrobe items onto newer figures, but that's not quite related your question.  But, if you grab older bundles with 'older' figures, you may want to put those older figures to good use as well for some art piece or other...

Plus, you STILL have people releasing new characters and items for Victoria 4, etc. (mainly on other sites), as the Poserverse is sorta kinda built around those figures.  Sure, you can pull Genesis figures into Poser using various means, but the Gen 4 figures are by no means abandoned...

I love the posing controls for Genesis figures a lot (the 'added' nodes really improve figure posing options), so I use Genesis figures when I can, but I do still use M4/V4 and occasionally M3/V3 era figures...

And sometimes there's a character that just doesn't have a good replacement in the Genesis family that you want to use anyways...

For celeb lookalikes (for those that like to have fun doing art with those), well a lot of those are M4/V4, and while some of them aren't very good by today's standards, others seem to hold up rather well...

So yeah, it's a 'depends' answer, but I'm not above using anything in my library (newer or older) depending on what it is I'm trying to create... and I'm not opposed to using older figures if they 'fit' the particular piece I'm working on.  I'm mainly a hobbyist though, doing this for fun.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

Yep, though I'm more likely to use the V4/M4 era stuff ported up to Genesis 2 and converted to Iray since that doesn't require the extra widgeting with geo grafts that using their skins on Genesis 3 does. I'm more likely to use V3/A3 era stuff with Genesis 3 if I want to use the original textures since Cayman Studio's geograft/UV set is the simplest option.      

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,030

Yes, I still use Generation 4 or A3 content, either with newer figures or with the ones they were intended for. I have tons of content I bought for them along the years and I don't see why I would stop using it when it still looks great as is or can be "upgraded" with a bit of work. Similarly, I also still use some props and environments I purchased in 2004-2005. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's worthless...

• With all of the joint fixes released for her and Iray shaders, I feel V4 is still very useable.  I don't use her much anymore now that I rarely render my old serial characters based on her (and I've used GenX to move them all up to Gen2), but sometimes I dust her off when she's just the right choice for the project.

It's my massive runtime of clothing, accessories, and skins that is hard to let go.  I have so much stuff that was created for V4 that has never been replicated in later generations.

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431
    NoahLGP said:

@patrick.dewijs

Sorry but Genesis 3 is the 7th generation, I meant Millennium 3 (2002) and 4 (2006)

Ah sorry, I don't use victoria/Michael 4 or Genesis 2 Only Genesis 3 or 8

• Most I use V4 and M4. Love them :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    I haven't used V4 or M4 in ages and really can't see doing so any time soon. Being able to use G3 clothes, poses, characters, and skins on G8 has made her my goto figure.
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I convert Generation 4 to G3 (textures) and load onto 8. If I want the shape, I dial something in if I haven't got it done via various addons. I picked up G8 as it was easy to get G3 on them.

I find converting textures a little time-consuming but usually take me less than an hour, including fixing any issues; some great textures in the earlier generations.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited April 2018

I use gen4 skins on most of my library of characters, but then my primary figure is still Genesis 1. Most of them also use GenX ported morphs from gen4 (and some gen3) as well.

The figures themselves. No. Much too high-poly to use in a scene.

I can't understand why people are saying that they are usable for background figures. Gen4 is MUCH higher poly than any of the Genesis series. I was never able to get more than 5 gen4 figures into a scene and have it render. Usually I had to drop to either 4 or even 3 figures in order for a render to be pssible. I've had up to 18 dressed Gi figures in a scene and it rendered just fine.  (Couldn't navigate the scene worth a damn, due to screen lag, but it rendered without a hitch.)

Post edited by JOdel on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    JOdel said:

I use gen4 skins on most of my library of characters, but then my primary figure is still Genesis 1. Most of them also use GenX ported morphs from gen4 (and some gen3) as well.

The figures themselves. No. Much too high-poly to use in a scene.

I can't understand why people are saying that they are usable for background figures. Gen4 is MUCH higher poly than any of the Genesis series. I was never able to get more than 5 gen4 figures into a scene and have it render. Usually I had to drop to either 4 or even 3 figures in order for a render to be pssible. I've had up to 18 dressed Gi figures in a scene and it rendered just fine.  (Couldn't navigate the scene worth a damn, due to screen lag, but it rendered without a hitch.)

Yeah mostly use V4/M4 skins and cloths/props on Genesis1. Never use the V4 character but I think M4 morphs are great, so use him a lot as well. Yeah they are high poly but in 3DL that's not a big problem. Made this some year ago, a couple of my custom M4 morphs:

• I use whatever's necessary. V4/M4, mainly for creatures/morphs that don't translate very well through GenX (i.e. anything from Philosopher's Egg), K4 for a decent kid, and Generation 3 for odds and ends.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Yep. Useful for varied background figures.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

I don't buy for genesis 8 . But sometimes I will some Genesis 3 clothing to use on genesis or genesis2 . But I rarely buy any characters anymore. mostly because after the last 8 years of buying generation after generations of characters mostly skinny white girls with big boobs, they are all starting to look the same from generation to generation & I have enough of the older generations characters to last me my lifetime.  Most of the genesis8 clothing i have seen come out in the stores are mostly remakes of the older generations clothing anyway. so I only need so much of the same content.  

I mostly concentrate on buying environments and props if they are not to resource intensive or ridiculously expensive.. ( which you usually don;t find that out until after you bought it.) Ha!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I still use V3 & M3 as go-to figures along with V4 materials on G1, and intend to continue doing so.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

I still use Syyd Ravens "vanilla Sky" and'Horizon" V4 textures on my G2 females and the "Sol" for M4 on my G2 males.
    Dont actually use V4/M4 figures however.

As far as "background figures go a G1 at base res is fine and with the decimator plugin I  am creating figure as low as 3500 faces
    for crowd scenes in my animated  films .

I did salvage my favorite Character morphs up from
    the mill 3&4 people with GENX 2.

However,Much like Poser, the Mil generation figures themselves are long dead to me.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited April 2018

Some creators keep on releasing new M4 figures maybe for Poser users. I was curious to know if the Daz users still use this generation.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited April 2018

I still get a lot of mileage from Melody and Micah, the critter figures based on Aiko3 and Hiro3. I have almost all of the morph/texture sets, and in addition to the normal A3/H3 clothes, I can also use Optitex dynamic cloth with a bit of fiddling. No dForce cloth yet, that'll have to wait until I save up for a computer that can handle it. Converting to Iray materials takes a bit more fiddling, but I've had some good results. (This render dates back a few years, so it's pre-Iray.)

3Girls-01.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 347K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,325

I still use a few M3-4 and V3-4 characters mostly because the clothes made for them fit well,   and D3 which has some really unique heads and faces that can be dialed.