DAZ3D/Blender texture thing

Don't know how to explain it, or where this topic would normally go, but how do I go about adding color to a hair texture like this in Blender?

3duKonradHair_DF.jpg
512 x 512 - 52K

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I would use a paint program instead.  Make a solid color base layer add your image as a new layer and play with the blend options til you get something you like.

• Yeah, but I want it to also look translucent at the ends, much like how DAZ does it.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I believe Blender uses the alpha channel of a texture to set transparency.  May be better to ask your question over at:  https://blenderartists.org/forum/

• Probably. I'll give it a shot.

• You can use a separate transparency map with Blender or a map with an alpha channel. Here we are talking about a separate transparency map. Assuming you are wanting to render in Cycles, create an Image Texture input node for the colour map (although in your example it's greyscale) and another for the transparency map. See this image for a simple shader set up (ignore the Normal texture) which will do this. You can colour your image with an RGB colour mix node placed inbetween the Image Texture and the Diffuse BSDF nodes.