Extremely long rendering time (movie)?

So today I wanted to animate a movie with 30 frames. 

I was rendering in Iray 16/9 Full HD, max Samples to 500. 

I was wondering, after 7h it just had rendered 25 frames. Is this normal?

I have a GTX 1080ti with a I7 7700k. 

Any chances to improve rendering time? 

Comments

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2018

Sounds like you have a lot going on in each frame and you may have run out of memory and switched to CPU rendering. Start basic and build your way up. If you need everything, you may need to reduce texture sizes, and even composite items in post.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • NalfeynNalfeyn Posts: 7

I really dont understand it. 

I have such a good GPU - I rendered a 35 frame movie in full HD with samples max to 300. 

It is just a normal bedroom - i disabled even the mirror. It took me over 23 hours to render it. That isnt normal, is it?

Are there any settings I miss, to shorten the render time?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

How much memory does a single frame occupy on the GPU while rendering? Each additional frame will add some additional amount of memory usage on your GPU. Changing camera angles in particualr will often add a significant amount of additional memory usage, perhap even more than the original. Point is, your GPU memory isn't cleared until all open render windows are closed. The number of iterations doesn't make much difference in memory usage, but the size of the render will.

I suspect you are dropping to CPU at some point. I also find that people often think a scene is simple without realizing  how many polys, light bounces, etc are involved. 

• Different character skins and transparencies can make things take longer too.  Especially if the actors are wearing something somewhat see through.  Seems to me there is a # of frames per second setting also- setting that higher will make it take longer I'd wager.  You're not getting out of this without spending several hours though more than likely. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,905

lighting makes a huge difference and indoor scenes need emitters, there are so many factors involved such as how many textures a room full of props need not have a map on everything just colours etc