Noswen's Corner

Comments

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Happy experimenting. Wish I had more to offer.

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

@wanderer: Thanks, and no worries, I'm still just as much trying to work everything out still smiley

edited April 2018

And finally after 46,260 iterations and 34,539 seconds (it was a good thing I didn't need my computer for 10 hours today!) I get to the finished render: -

Colette

Colette.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 361K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    edited April 2018

And after trying out several new renders and not saving any of them it's time to post on this to give myself more motivation again, with the initial work on my crazy swordmage character.

All that's been done so far is work on shaping, surfaces, and his expression.

And a closeup of his face: -

Filbert WIP 1.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 69K
    Filbert WIP 1 Closeup.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 133K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    edited April 2018

Hey, @Noswen, I've been so busy lately, and haven't been as active on the forums. Sorry for not visiting sooner. So, going back to the image of the lady above--I wonder why it took so long. It looks like it should be a relatively quick scene. Is it too much for the VRAM of your card? I like it anyway. This new guy, his expression is cool. Clothing... often gives me fits. If I can figure out dforce and get it to work on items like this, I'll be much happier. Would like to see this character set in an appropriate environment and with spell effects. I think it would be cool to see this guy in a storm with bolts of lighting coming down or one bolt.

Post edited by Wanderer on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Great use of Depth Of Field on the Colette render.

I like your new characters blue beard.  Am interested in seeing where you go with this one.

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

You've got some amazing renders here.  I love the man with the axe - a real fantasy warrior!

@Wanderer: No worries, I know exactly how that feels. The render fit completely within my graphics card (GTX 1070) and the extreme render time probably has to do with me setting the image dimesnions to 1236x2000, the rendering quality to 3, and the converged ratio to 99.9%. I knew I could just leave it running so I didn't mind upping the settings a bit and just leaving it to it while I did something else. I didn't expect it to take quite that long though. There might be things I can do to speed it up, but I don't know them laugh.

The expression is one of the more important things for this character. Yeah, I'm not looking forwards to trying to sort out the poke-through on this outfit. An environment will be coming for him, once I have that set up I'll also be posting it as my initial entry into the new user challenge for this month. Not sure how to do many effects yet, or godrays, I feel like they could be fun for this. Though my imagination may be outstripping my skill smiley.

@IceDragonHeart: Thank you. Hopefully into a more fighting like scene, graphics card memory permitting.

@themidget: Thank you. Not quite a grizzled veteran yet, but he's certainly no rookie and he's getting there.

@Noswen - Okay, just be careful not to post the image here before you post it over there. It has to be posted in the challenge thread first (see #7). I don't want to see you get disqualified on something like that. Now about your image render time, I wonder if it could partly be the quality setting. I render much larger images to high convergence ratios, but usually I stop at about 98%. Try test running same image at same resolution, with quality set to 1 and converge at 98%, just to see if there is a visible difference. Each double of your quality setting doubles render time approximately. (Try this: render at 98%/1 quality at double size of current render, then use postwork program to half the doubled size back to the same as your original, then see if there's a quality loss.) Some of the people here think that going above 2 on quality setting may be a waste, but it's of course totally up to you. The higher the resolution, the more you may see a difference from that quality setting. (Also, in my signature, I've linked out to one of several tutorials on godrays that I found useful.)

@Wanderer: Thanks for the warning, hadn't realised that rule. I'll probably have to wait for the weekend to test any render times like that, though as far as I understand (and could well be wrong) the quality determines the certainty threshold for when each individual pixel is considered convered. I doubt there'd be any noticable difference though.

Hadn't noticed the link before, will check that out!

@Noswen - That's fine. I just thought it might be a way to cut your render times while not losing too much quality.

edited May 2018

Never did get round to trying out the godrays for the Filbert render in the monthly challenge, but never mind, I'll probably render a higher res version of it over the weekend to go in the gallery and here. Started on another character as well though.

With this I discovered I have very few shaping options on the G3 figures, so I'm limited more to mixing the different character dials and skin setting.

Amelia deWarrior

Amelia deWarrior 1.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 218K
    Post edited by Noswen on

Interesting scene elements you have there. She intrigues me. I hate when it happens that I've decided to play with this or that figure only to find I don't have the freedom I'm used to because I don't have as many options available for him/her. 

Amelia looks really cool!

@Wanderer: Thanks. I started in Daz not long before G8 appeared so the only G3 elements I have are the items that have come in the bonus bundles for getting G8 items. I'm fairly sure this is the first G3 render I've done prperly, but I had pretty much the perfect elements to create this character (save for the morphs) so G3 it was.

@themidget: Thanks.

This is a character from a homebrew D&D setting and is supposed to be about 10 years old. She's also the eldest daughter of the high commander of the army of one of the country's in it which is why she is armed and armoured.

edited May 2018

Only picked out a couple of styles at random so far, but here's what Amelia looks like with two of them. Will be looking more at this, it's fun smiley

Amelia deWarrior Dream 1.jpg
    472 x 764 - 206K
    Amelia deWarrior Dream 2 (Stones).jpg
    472 x 764 - 201K
    Post edited by Noswen on

Nice.  I like the top one.

edited May 2018

Had an idea for another render that I wanted to get a start of before the idea fled.

The Guardians of Dal'Sharal

The Guardians of Dal'Sharal 1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 191K
    Post edited by Noswen on

Amelia is cute!  She will make a heck of a warrior if she is starting now.  Keep an eye out for the morph packs for G3 to go on sale.  They can discount pretty good.  Also look for Sickleyields faces for G3f when her shop goes on sale.  I believe she has Faces of Africa, Asia and Europe.  Lolla Lane has some lovely body morphs for G3f as well if I remember correctly.  Also, lyoness's morphs are always good.

wow, he might be able to pass without them even seeing him.  Just a suggestion but maybe put something brightly colored on him so he stands out a bit from the floor.  Really cool idea, can't wait to see where you go with it

themidget said:

Nice.  I like the top one.

+1

Very imaginative and interesting concept.  

Noswen said:

Had an idea for another render that I wanted to get a start of before the idea fled.

The Guardians of Dal'Sharal

edited May 2018

Thanks all.

I will probably put the Amelia render on hold for now and just keep an eye out for when the G3 morphs come on sale as I don't make a whole lot of use of G3 so it can wait.

And got the final version of the other render finished as well: -

Filbert's Victim

Filbert's Victim.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 291K
    Post edited by Noswen on
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

He looks rather happy about being about to finish the other guy off. Nice DOF.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

What a great render @Noswen !!

Such amazing details!

@Noswen - Now, he truly looks crazed! I'm glad you were able to get it done. I hope to see more of your work soon.

Thanks all, now working mostly on my entry for the monthly challenge, so won't be posting here with that until it's done so as not to break the rules.

Yes, I did see that. Sorry I've been very busy lately, so I didn't comment yet. I will. As for that rule, it says that it can't have been posted elsewhere previously, but I'm not sure whether they care about reposting it. Might be worth asking for clarity, but best to be safe.

edited May 2018

Quick break from the monthly challenge to make a goth fairy for a friend: -

Was good to do a simpler picture for a change, didn't have to worry about tons of scene elements or my graphics card memory getting pushed laugh

Goth Fairy 2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 341K
    Post edited by Noswen on

That is so beautiful!  It has to be one of my favourites.yes

Gorgeous fae!