For users of DAZ History Manager

16791112

Comments

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 29,503
    edited December 1969

    Taozen said:
    Kattey said:
    I'd prefer History Manager. DIM never appealed to me. But the expiration date on History Manager worries me -_-

    The expiration thing in HM is basically just to remind people about updating, it will be removed as soon as auto-update has been fully implemented.
    ...will manual downloads still be available. I've disabled Auto Updates after I was hit by a virus awhile back which piggybacked on an MS auto DL.

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    D3DIM requires too many steps to achieve the same results as the 3D Content Downloader, and it doesn't have enough flexibility for those of us who have developed an organization system for downloads and multiple runtimes. I have to change my "business practices" and use workarounds with D3DIM instead of D3DIM streamlining my "work" and making me more efficient.

    Not sure what you mean - DIM can easily install to multiple runtimes?

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    Thanks. I didn't realize P9 : system.io.directorynotfound meant the download folder couldn't be found. In retrospect, it makes complete sense.

    I'd just downloaded to that same folder a couple days ago and it worked flawlessly as usual. I download to an external drive which is mapped to a drive letter, so windows must have "forgot" the external drive was mapped to Q. Sometimes, it thinks it has forgotten a drive mapping, but when I click on the folder, Windows suddenly remembers it's mapped.

    OK, glad it is working for you now!

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    Taozen said:
    Kattey said:
    I'd prefer History Manager. DIM never appealed to me. But the expiration date on History Manager worries me -_-

    The expiration thing in HM is basically just to remind people about updating, it will be removed as soon as auto-update has been fully implemented.


    ...will manual downloads still be available. I've disabled Auto Updates after I was hit by a virus awhile back which piggybacked on an MS auto DL.

    Yes, manual downloads will be updated parallel with auto-updates.

    In any case, all files are being re-downloaded, tested and scanned at http://virustotal.com after upload. And auto-update will check that the file size of the downloaded file is correct before it starts installing anything, and if it's not, the program will shut down with an error message. So it's reasonable safe when it comes to viruses. And I'm planning on making it even safer with MD5 check, encryption etc..

  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

    Multiple stored runtime locations, yes. But, everything is downloaded to a single download folder. This is where 3D Content Downloader excels over D3DIM and where D3DIM lacks flexibility and requires workarounds.

    D3DIM also does not list, nor is able to download, software, brush, or tutorial products. So those have to be manually downloaded and extracted. It's possible DAZ will eventually change D3DIM to be able to download and install those products too ... soon.

    Installing content through D3DIM only becomes a problem if I auto install content. As long as I install content one by one or in runtime batches after download, D3DIM doesn't adversely affect how I organize my content. If I allow D3DIM to auto install after download, it made organizing my content more difficult.

    Installing with D3DIM is a huge improvement over the installers. Installing products one by one or in runtime batches with D3DIM is no different than extracting the zip files one by one or in runtime batches manually.


    I find no difference in speed between downloading with 3D Content Downloader and D3DIM.


    If I were to only ever purchase 3D content from DAZ and from no other store, it would be simplest to rely on D3DIM since it can easily find (or redownload) the zip file as long as it isn't moved from the original downloaded location. But, I do purchase from other stores and I do purchase products from DAZ that D3DIM doesn't recognized.

    It's more efficient for me to have one organizational system for all my 3D content. It's also more efficient for me to have those download files organized by Store, Purchase Year, Purchase Month, Order No, and Product Name. The naming convention changes constantly at DAZ, so the Product Name folder helps me to quickly identify a product.

    I don't know if there is a log that can be viewed after downloading products through D3DIM, but I use the 3D Content Downloader log to copy and paste the download path and filename for each product to my 3D Purchases spreadsheet.


    All that's required from me with 3D Content Downloader is to change the Purchase Month location once a month. After that, all I have to do is select files and start the download.

    With D3DIM, I have to create the Order No folder and the Product Name folder, move the zip in the Product Name folder, then move the Order No folder into the Purchase Month folder. Because I moved the zip, it's lost to D3DIM. If I need to reinstall, I have to redownload for D3DIM to reinstall, or I have to manually reinstall.

    Once I select a Download folder in D3DIM, there should be options to build a download path like with 3D Content Downloader where you can append Download Date, Order No, and Product Folder. If DAZ adds that ability, D3DIM becomes useable to me for downloading 3D content. But DAZ also has to add the ability for D3DIM to be able to list, download, and install ALL products purchased through DAZ ... not just the 3D content.

    If I had no other choice but to use D3DIM, I would need to change the download path for each order. That's doable, but annoying. I could live without the Product Name folders, but I shouldn't have to.

    Taozen said:
    D3DIM requires too many steps to achieve the same results as the 3D Content Downloader, and it doesn't have enough flexibility for those of us who have developed an organization system for downloads and multiple runtimes. I have to change my "business practices" and use workarounds with D3DIM instead of D3DIM streamlining my "work" and making me more efficient.

    Not sure what you mean - DIM can easily install to multiple runtimes?

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 29,503
    edited March 2013

    ...I still maually download and install all my content. Yeah it's tedious, but at least I still maintain full control over the process.


    ...and it's essential when working with custom designed runtimes.

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    Multiple stored runtime locations, yes. But, everything is downloaded to a single download folder. This is where 3D Content Downloader excels over D3DIM and where D3DIM lacks flexibility and requires workarounds.

    A solution to this migh be creating an addon that will sort the DIM install files into folders the same way Content Downloader does (or into user defined folders), using shorcuts. This way the files remain in the DIM folder, but you can run them from the alternative locations using the shorcuts there.

  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 533
    edited December 1969

    Taozen said:
    Multiple stored runtime locations, yes. But, everything is downloaded to a single download folder. This is where 3D Content Downloader excels over D3DIM and where D3DIM lacks flexibility and requires workarounds.

    A solution to this migh be creating an addon that will sort the DIM install files into folders the same way Content Downloader does (or into user defined folders), using shorcuts. This way the files remain in the DIM folder, but you can run them from the alternative locations using the shorcuts there.

    I made a feature request in the BTS for DAZ Install Manager project asking to something as the options in 3D Content Downloader.

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    MBusch said:
    Taozen said:
    Multiple stored runtime locations, yes. But, everything is downloaded to a single download folder. This is where 3D Content Downloader excels over D3DIM and where D3DIM lacks flexibility and requires workarounds.

    A solution to this migh be creating an addon that will sort the DIM install files into folders the same way Content Downloader does (or into user defined folders), using shorcuts. This way the files remain in the DIM folder, but you can run them from the alternative locations using the shorcuts there.

    I made a feature request in the BTS for DAZ Install Manager project asking to something as the options in 3D Content Downloader.

    OK, lets see if they'll eat it...

  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

    I think the next version will address a lot of the concerns here. But there's only so much DAZ will be able to do to meet the needs of those who have highly customized runtime structures. If you manually move files after installation, no automated system is likely to work for you.

    This isn't meant as a criticism of people with customized runtime structures, or of DAZ. It's just a practical limitation that will affect how useful the software is for some people.

    If all the DAZ content I'd purchased had complete and consistent metadata, I'd probably just drop my custom categories and use the DAZ standard instead. We're not quite there yet, however. :(

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 17,301
    edited December 1969

    zigraphix said:

    If all the DAZ content I'd purchased had complete and consistent metadata, I'd probably just drop my custom categories and use the DAZ standard instead. We're not quite there yet, however. :(

    I use DIM, but use my custom categorization.

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    zigraphix said:
    I think the next version will address a lot of the concerns here. But there's only so much DAZ will be able to do to meet the needs of those who have highly customized runtime structures. If you manually move files after installation, no automated system is likely to work for you.

    You could make something like the 'Windows shorcut system, All the icons for loading your stuff would just be shortcuts that link to the content files. Then you can move the shortcuts around as you like, while the content files remain where they are.

  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

    You can already do that in DS with the content manager. Where things are in categories is completely customizable, and doesn't interfere with DIM. I guess that's not much help outside of DS, though.

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    zigraphix said:
    You can already do that in DS with the content manager. Where things are in categories is completely customizable, and doesn't interfere with DIM. I guess that's not much help outside of DS, though.

    Really?

    Poser rearranges the files in the runtime accordingly when you rearrange the content in the Library. So basically the problem with reorganizing your runtime is a Poser problem rather than a DS/DIM problem? Or what?

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 49,359
    edited December 1969

    The category system in DS is a database system it doesn't involve moving files from their default locations.

  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

    Taozen said:
    zigraphix said:
    You can already do that in DS with the content manager. Where things are in categories is completely customizable, and doesn't interfere with DIM. I guess that's not much help outside of DS, though.

    Really?

    Poser rearranges the files in the runtime accordingly when you rearrange the content in the Library. So basically the problem with reorganizing your runtime is a Poser problem rather than a DS/DIM problem? Or what?

    What Richard said. I've been leaving all files in default install locations and just categorizing them to suit myself since DS 2.3, but I don't use Poser much. I don't mean it's a Poser problem, I just mean that there's a way to easily work around this in DS that doesn't apply to Poser.

    Then again, now that Poser has a robust plugin support system, someone could write an interface to the DS content manager for Poser, and presto! Metadata, searching, and categories would all work in Poser, and DIM would be a lot more useful.

    I believe DAZ is already planning to build CM interfaces for Carrara and possibly Bryce.

    The main problem would be converting from custom file structures to Categories. I think it could be done with a utility by collecting hash values for each file, along with the file name, in the existing directory structure, then comparing those values with the default-location files after reinstalling Daz content, and creating content manager Category links to match. It would take a long time for those with lots of content, but it would only need to be done once...

  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 540
    edited March 2013

    Sorry to interrupt.

    3DContentDownloader is returning :

    ERROR!: -2146233079 = System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (502) Bad Gateway. at
    System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at ContentDownloaderDAZ.frmMain.DownloadFile() - file not saved...

    .
    However I'm able to download the files manually from the site. (Starting with the oldest, because I've been letting them pile up).

    Undoubtedly server problems, but just in case an adaptation needs to be made...


    There were site problems. Most were handled by Cloudfire...

    But the first gave me a "Bad Gateway".page. (When I placed an order, but fortunately it went through, despite the error page).


    Windows XP, in case that turns out to be relevant.

    No, I haven't started playing with DIM yet. I'm saving that for the new Win7 machine. No, I still haven't put Daz on it, yet. Yes, I'm pitiful, heh.

    Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,864
    edited December 1969

    I have the Bad Gateway problem too, although I can downlaod manually.

  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

    wilmap said:
    I have the Bad Gateway problem too, although I can downlaod manually.

    Ditto'ng this, last night and still happening this morning. :down:
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 2,142
    edited March 2013

    Is the RDNA downloader functioning?
    Asking because I just tried it and am getting empty menu fields with no way to login to get order list
    Am on a laptop using Win 8
    Daz and Rosity downloaders worked perfectly

    Thanks for these

    Never mind just figured out that it requires the emails from RDNA which I no longer have

    Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    zigraphix said:
    Taozen said:
    zigraphix said:
    You can already do that in DS with the content manager. Where things are in categories is completely customizable, and doesn't interfere with DIM. I guess that's not much help outside of DS, though.

    Really?

    Poser rearranges the files in the runtime accordingly when you rearrange the content in the Library. So basically the problem with reorganizing your runtime is a Poser problem rather than a DS/DIM problem? Or what?

    What Richard said. I've been leaving all files in default install locations and just categorizing them to suit myself since DS 2.3, but I don't use Poser much. I don't mean it's a Poser problem, I just mean that there's a way to easily work around this in DS that doesn't apply to Poser.

    Then again, now that Poser has a robust plugin support system, someone could write an interface to the DS content manager for Poser, and presto! Metadata, searching, and categories would all work in Poser, and DIM would be a lot more useful.

    I believe DAZ is already planning to build CM interfaces for Carrara and possibly Bryce.

    The main problem would be converting from custom file structures to Categories. I think it could be done with a utility by collecting hash values for each file, along with the file name, in the existing directory structure, then comparing those values with the default-location files after reinstalling Daz content, and creating content manager Category links to match. It would take a long time for those with lots of content, but it would only need to be done once...

    Well OK, it's not a "Poser problem" but nevertheless a problem for Poser users. I'd welcome a plugin like the one you describe. :)

    As for Carrara and Bryce, there are rumours that DAZ has more or less given up on these, but who knows (well DAZ does I suppose, but they seem to keep it to themselves).

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    Well as for the Bad Gateway problem I've been doing some tests. It seems to be server related, but I don't know for sure what causes it. Some files seem to download fine every time I try, others always give the error, others again sometimes gives the error, sometimes not.

    I'll give it a couple of days to see if it fixes itself, otherwise I'll look into it...

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    Taozen said:

    Well as for the Bad Gateway problem I've been doing some tests. It seems to be server related, but I don't know for sure what causes it. Some files seem to download fine every time I try, others always give the error, others again sometimes gives the error, sometimes not.

    I'll give it a couple of days to see if it fixes itself, otherwise I'll look into it...

    Well the Bad Gateway problem seems to be gone now. It was caused by DAZ redirecting all downloads to CloudFlare which seemed to have some communication problems. Looks like they've been fixed now so the downloader seem to be working allright again (as long as it lasts....).

  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,864
    edited December 1969

    I'm getting the bad gateway error again.

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 9,463
    edited December 1969

    It works for me.
    Sometimes I have to click on Log in Browser first and then in Log in History to make it work.

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited April 2013

    wilmap said:
    I'm getting the bad gateway error again.

    Yea, it's CloudFlare that sometimes mess things up. Try again later, it usually goes away again after some time (last time it took a couple of days).

    Post edited by Taoz on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,144
    edited December 1969

    wilmap said:
    I'm getting the bad gateway error again.

    Me too. :(

  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

    I just don't get this fascination with CloudFlare. It truly is evil.

    Content Downloader was only able to successfully download 3 out of 8 files today, so I manually download the other 5. Since all my download folders were already created for each of those products from the failed attempts, I only had to direct the download to the appropriate folder.

    Taozen said:
    wilmap said:
    I'm getting the bad gateway error again.

    Yea, it's CloudFlare that sometimes mess things up. Try again later, it usually goes away again after some time (last time it took a couple of days).


    Sigh ... and I hit Submit Post and get a blank Post a New Reply page instead of my reply being posted. I don't know which is less trustworthy. CloudFlare or Magento ...

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 29,503
    edited December 1969

    ...in my book, both.

  • TaozTaoz Posts: 5,996
    edited December 1969

    Looks like the downloader is working again now...

Sign In or Register to comment.