Prevalence for Asymmetry?

Looking at the newest outfits in DAZStudio, I wonder why PAs seem to prefer asymmetry with clothing so much. In real livemost outfits I see are symmetrical,  no matter what kind. Can't be workflow, as symmetry is much easier to achive, you have to do the modelling on one side only and let the other mirror it.

So why so much asymmetry? Like in the newest SciFi uniform/clothing for Aiko8 (don't get me wrong, I like that outfit, it's in my shopping cart already - no holes, no stiletto heels!)

Comments

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960
    Perhaps it's a fashion thing. I was watching Young And The Restless a tv soap opera and all the women were wearing these weird off the shoulder asymmetrical dresses. Not something I'd wear but seems to be fashionable
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

I have a preference for asymmetry in real clothing myself.  It's visually more interesting; even as small a thing as the logo on a golf shirt can give the shirt a sense of...I can't find a word, but I'm feeling like 'balance' might oddly enough be right, that isn't present without it.

From the PA's perspectives, though, asymmetry probably helps to keep items from looking too obviously CG.  Even clothes that are essentially symmetric don't wear that way, and so the CG artist has to find a way to make the clothes feel 'real'.  This is done with folds, logos, non-tiling textures, and structural asymmetry.

But maybe the PA's just like it. :)

--  Morgan

• Symmetric patterns leave a lot of room for adding bump maps and displacement to simulate assymmetrical construction i.e. a seam coming in under the left rib and crossing to the right shoulder, or some other design. They also take tiled textures more easily, and if the seam itself isn't assigned a separate material, you lose that detail unless you enjoy squinting at an image editor trying to chase down a wobbly seam line. Assuming, of course, the artist put out the texture template.

Assymmetry is nice, and shows the artist has at least some design skill, but for end-users, symmetrical is more flexible.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I like both options. If every outfit is irregular it can look odd if more than one person wear it in a scene.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,819

only thing I find very odd is the one legged outfits

you just don't see that in real life as it is rather impractical 

one armed, cut outs, asymmetrical hems etc yes but never one legged

• I like both options. If every outfit is irregular it can look odd if more than one person wear it in a scene.

And finding several different outfits for several different characters that are not uniforms per se but do follow a theme are very hard to come by.

th3Digit said:

only thing I find very odd is the one legged outfits

you just don't see that in real life as it is rather impractical 

one armed, cut outs, asymmetrical hems etc yes but never one legged

Same here. I get the "fashion" aspect of it, but have you seen the freakish designs that come down some runways? There's no place for that in the real world outside of a runway, and there's a reason you don't see them at your local shop. Same should hold true for the outfits in the marketplace: yes, they're certainly unique, but outside of the storyline the artist made it for, there's no place for it. Anyone else who uses it cannot avoid the "oh, you have that one, too?"

Obviously there's the "make your own" option, but if everyone made their own, what's that leave for the vendors? Nothing. Artistic license only goes so far before you have to consider marketplace practicality. As end-users evolve beyond the "must have new thang!" mentality and think before buying, artists will find they're wasting a lot of time on things only they wanted and only they use. While all art has a place, not all of it is marketable. If you depend on sales, you really have to consider things more carefully.

Oddly, there's a one-sided suit for every generation, and it has not gotten any more practical over the years.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

So...I think that Ryan Destiny may have taken it a bit far, and perhaps Tokyo fashion isn't your style, but I think the half-shorts, half-long legged jeans look can definitely work.  It's certainly akin to the effect of half-ripped jeans, for example. :)

I've always loved the idea of varying the leg length of pants, but it has to be done emphatically.  If you do asymmetry lightly, it looks like an error, a mistake...  If you go strong with it, then it's clear it's a statement...a distinctive look.

--  Morgan

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Considering that there are quite a few outfits that valiantly defy gravity at times, when double sided duct tape wasn't invented yet, or that don't have any buttons, clasps, needles or whatever to keep them from just opening up wide, or that don't even have openings large enough to allow for dressing (or undressing) them, I think worrying about asymmetry is a first world problem... devil

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    I once temporarily lost one of the legs of some convertible hiking pants...
  •  

Obviously there's the "make your own" option, but if everyone made their own, what's that leave for the vendors? Nothing. Artistic license only goes so far before you have to consider marketplace practicality. As end-users evolve beyond the "must have new thang!" mentality and think before buying, artists will find they're wasting a lot of time on things only they wanted and only they use. While all art has a place, not all of it is marketable. If you depend on sales, you really have to consider things more carefully.

Make your own is never going to be the way all DS (or Poser, for that matter) users go, so there will always be PAs making content for us to buy. Now, whether it's accepted as fact or not, PAs will more often make what sells, so if you want more practical stuff, you need to convince people to buy it when it comes out; make it more profitable for the PAs and DAZ than the impractical stuff and you'll see more of it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Even if you can make your own, there's skills and time.

I can theoretically make a city block. I'm not hugely interested in doing so, I don't have the skills and practice up to snuff, so it'd probably take me months of work. Or... I can buy what someone else did.

Same goes for really good hair and clothes. Maybe I can make some (and I think at some point I will), but... wow, there are some amazing hairstyles and clothing in the store.